Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
hey folks

if i have two aliens of the same color on the board how can i know which one is which?
i think it could be important if you have to activate all aliens that are attached to the alpha leader?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way is probably to put a mark on the bases of the aliens. The expansions come with small stickers with pips on them for this, but I might simply use a fine-point silver marker and put 1, 2, or 3 lines on the edge of each base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternately, the wound and shield tokens fit pretty well on the base of most of the aliens (there's a couple whose bases aren't big enough; for them I usually stick the tokens nearby, or perch them precariously on the base of the figure). Here's an image from one of my playthroughs, for instance (I'm not sure why I put the wound markers on the board in this particular instance, since Aracnos is one of the aliens who fits the tokens the best; this was probably from early on when I was experimenting with different ways to handle unique aliens):

I originally wasn't a big fan of this idea, but after I started using it I fell in love. It doesn't complicate moving things on the board too much (you just have to lift them straight up vertically when moving them; you only really run into trouble when you have a big clump of aliens), and it allows you to see at a glance the status of the aliens you're fighting (no need to reference the alien cards to determine who is almost dead and should be the target of your attack).

I've played around with the idea of using the extra dots in the expansions to mark the core set aliens, but so far it hasn't been worth it. I still sometimes use this system even when playing the expansions, actually (though less often, because a lot more of the expansion aliens don't support tokens on their base).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toerck wrote:
hey folks

if i have two aliens of the same color on the board how can i know which one is which?
i think it could be important if you have to activate all aliens that are attached to the alpha leader?

I might be reading too much into the part I bolded. But, Every alien of a single type and color should be assigned to the same person.

from the rulebook pg 35:
rulebook wrote:
To maintain game balance, the Alpha Agent assigns Alien cards following these rules:

The card is normally assigned to the first player, in clockwise order, who does not have Alien cards, or has less Alien cards assigned than other players. In case of tie, the Alien card is assigned to the Alpha Agent.

Exception: When a second copy of an Alien card is drawn [same Species and Rank], assign it to the same player who controls the first one. For instance, a player who controls a BLUE Xeno-Beta is assigned the second BLUE Xeno-Beta when its card is drawn.

So as an Example:

Player one has green Xeno-alpha assigned
player two has green Nexus assigned
player three has no aliens assigned

One of the players moves into LoS of a signal and it is revealed to be an alien. The card on top of the deck is flipped and is a green Xeno-Alpha, it is assigned to player one, not player three, because player one already has been assigned a green Xeno-Alpha.
If the alien card reveals a blue Xeon-Alpha it would be assigned to player 3 because he/she does not have an alien assigned yet and no other agent has been assigned that particular (type and color) alien.

edit: If I did read too much into the bolded part of your question, then the two posts above mine should have answered your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
of course you are right, but the problem remains.
how should player two recognize which one is who

but thanks for the tips! i just thought i have overseen something somewhere ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toerck wrote:

If wound and shield tokens are stored on the figure, then it doesn't matter which card is associated with which figure (because wounds/shields are the only unique things associated with a given alien, unless you find an edge case scenario where you can paralyze them or something--though that, too, can go on the figure).

If you mark the figure and the cards with dots/lines/etc. then you can track wounds wherever you like and still distinguish between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
toerck wrote:

If wound and shield tokens are stored on the figure, then it doesn't matter which card is associated with which figure (because wounds/shields are the only unique things associated with a given alien, unless you find an edge case scenario where you can paralyze them or something--though that, too, can go on the figure).

If you mark the figure and the cards with dots/lines/etc. then you can track wounds wherever you like and still distinguish between them.

QFT.

We all will run into this problem early in our GD campaign. I actually have always just put damage/shield tokens on the board next to the associated alien (like in the picture Skaak posted). It looks a little bit messy, but its the easiest way that I found to keep track of the alien's status. In the second wave expansion, there are stickers included that you can tape to the base and card to help differentiate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Numbered tokens is how SWIA solves the problem, I was looking into doing something like that. Two sets of #1 to #10, each set in a few different colors (other than red, green, blue) so you could mark the Alien Card and the Mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.