Popular Tags: [View All]
Efka Bladukas
United Kingdom
Harpenden
Please select region, state or province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've encountered numerous rules issues within this adventure, and hoping to get some answers here. I'll list each question as a spoiler separately

Question 1:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Does casting a spell count as taking an action? If we spent 1 TU as a group to do actions, do we need to spend an additional TU to cast a spell? And also, if we don't want to do any actions, can we spend 1 TU just to cast a spell? Furthermore, the Alchemist character has a spell that doesn't cost the expenditure of TU. Can they do it each time someone does a test? Or does it require an action to activate the spell, therefore limiting it to once per TU spent to do actions?

Question 2:
The rogue has an ability to roll some dice to steal money on certain cards. Is this an action?

Question 3:
Location 2. Generally unclear on TU expenditure when progressing in this location. Do all characters start on the same space? Can non rogue/assassin characters attempt the tests at all? Do we spend TU as we move from card to card? Do we spend TU to do the tests? If only the rogue/assassin can attempt the test and both are present, can they both attempt the test? What happens if one of them fails? If you fail and go back, do you have to then again spend TU to move through the cards? Generally really confused by this location.

Question 4:
Location 6: What does "being immobilized" mean? What can/can't the characters do? As I understand, each time a TU is spent to do anything, each immobilized character loses a life point. What if a magician spends TU to cast a spell, does that trigger life loss? Also, when do they stop being immobilized (somewhat unclear on the "comes to the rescue" part. Is it when a magician character enters the same location as an immobilized character or is it when the test they are at defeated or is it for the entire duration of your stay at location 6? Also, does the magician ally item card have any bearing on this location whatsoever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renate Cloake
United Kingdom
Worthing
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had many of the same questions and have also found no answers yet so after much argument here are the answers that our group settled on:
Questions 1&2:
We've ruled that anything that requires a check costs a TU and that an action is any kind of check (spell, steal, fight).

Question 3:
We were most confused by the wording on these cards. After much deliberation we decided:
-Only the rogue/assassin can attempt the check, but that both can attempt in the same TU.
-It costs a TU for the check as usual with checks.
-You spend a TU as usual to move from 1 card to the next.
-The whole group moves together from left to right.
-If you fail and restart, you spend more TU moving through the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mayonesiac wrote:
We've encountered numerous rules issues within this adventure, and hoping to get some answers here. I'll list each question as a spoiler separately

Question 1:
Does casting a spell count as taking an action? If we spent 1 TU as a group to do actions, do we need to spend an additional TU to cast a spell? And also, if we don't want to do any actions, can we spend 1 TU just to cast a spell? Furthermore, the Alchemist character has a spell that doesn't cost the expenditure of TU. Can they do it each time someone does a test? Or does it require an action to activate the spell, therefore limiting it to once per TU spent to do actions?

Question 2:
The rogue has an ability to roll some dice to steal money on certain cards. Is this an action?

Question 3:
Location 2. Generally unclear on TU expenditure when progressing in this location. Do all characters start on the same space? Can non rogue/assassin characters attempt the tests at all? Do we spend TU as we move from card to card? Do we spend TU to do the tests? If only the rogue/assassin can attempt the test and both are present, can they both attempt the test? What happens if one of them fails? If you fail and go back, do you have to then again spend TU to move through the cards? Generally really confused by this location.

Question 4:
Location 6: What does "being immobilized" mean? What can/can't the characters do? As I understand, each time a TU is spent to do anything, each immobilized character loses a life point. What if a magician spends TU to cast a spell, does that trigger life loss? Also, when do they stop being immobilized (somewhat unclear on the "comes to the rescue" part. Is it when a magician character enters the same location as an immobilized character or is it when the test they are at defeated or is it for the entire duration of your stay at location 6? Also, does the magician ally item card have any bearing on this location whatsoever?

I won't add spoilers because people who haven't played it shouldn't come here.

1. Didn't play the Alchemist. It only costs a TU during an encounter, so it's an alternative to combat dice rolls. But when you are say, healing someone I don't think it costs an extra TU, not certain.

2. Didn't play the rogue, but I'm quite certain it's an action, as buying an item also isn't an action. Just steal, your next TU is moving away from that spot.

3. Didn't take this route to the tunnels

4. If a magician casts a spell and the magicless people aren't rescued, the magicless lose a life point. They probably stop being immobilized as soon as the test is complete. That's how we played it at least... The agents are immobilized by the magic, so when the magic is gone they are rescued. I think.

Whenever questions like this arises, we attempt to solve it by looking at it thematically. Often it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glasya Labolas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
We've just played this scenario today and here's how we interpreted the rules:

Question 1:
Based on Sam's explanations in the Base casting a spell only counts as an action unless it is done when moving between locations or if it specifically says that it does not cost any TU (alchemist). In any other case casting a spell is an action and therefore costs 1TU.

Alchemist special case: I believe that Finnock can cast as many Support spells as he wants as free actions, as long as he has enough ingredients in his inventory i.e. he could theoretically attack AND cast 3 Support spells to assist the other agents. All in 1TU

Question 2:
As it says that you have to perform an agility roll to steal someone's object I think it counts as an action (1TU). If the mask symbol is red you can then roll to steal some bonus gold for free

Question 3:
We didn't go this way to the castle's tunnels but here's how I think it works:
1) choose a path (use the group token to help you see where you are) and move it up to the first test
2) Layout the number of shields required for the test
3) Spend 1TU and use Guillem/Lyara for the agility test. If you have both in your party you can do two rolls in the same TU
4a) If there are still shields left you have failed the test, all agents lose 1 life point, and you reset the path
4b) If there are no shields left you have passed the test and automatically move to the next one.

Repeat from step 2) ...

You therefore spend only 1TU per obstacle and none to move between cards.

Question 4:
If an agent who cannot use magic is alone on a card he is 'immobilized' as in he cannot escape ( normally he could by losing a life point). He obviously cannot roll to pass the magic test either. For any TU used by the group ( i.e. every turn ) he will lose a life point. As soon as another agent moves to his space he stops being immobilized (he can escape if he wants) and stops losing life points.

The magician ally item (Rhom Doriq) shouldn't have any effect in this location as he is 'used' somewhere else ... Technically he's also neither an 'agent' nor he can 'use magic' ( as he doesn't have statistics on him) so he shouldn't be affected at all

EDIT: It might be confusing but it is important to note that the cards in this location are Magic ability checks, not combats. So you cannot use spells to remove the shields, you just have to roll the number of dice corresponding to your Magic statistic.

I think that the best thing to do in these situations is just to not worry too much about it and go with whatever feels better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Poulpe
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Question 1:
Base E card: spells cost no action when you cast them between locations. When the group spends a TU on a location, each player may move or make a roll (to resolve a challenge or to cast a spell). A spell is defined as an action because it involves a characteristic roll.

The Alchemist character can do his spell as many times as he wants. This is an exception to the usual rules and that's why the card says so.
Of course, you need the components to cast the spell so there is a limit!

When a player rolls dice, Finnock can say "Hey, I help you", spend the components and roll his own dice. Finnock can still do his own action using the TU spent by the group.

Question 2:
Yes. It's an ability test so unless otherwise stated (see Q1, above), you need to spend a TU.

Question 3:
- Characters are on the same space as cards are revealed progressively. You don't have a choice in this case.
- Only the thief and the assassin can make rolls here.
- Both can make the same challenge. They should, actually. They eliminate shields as usual so failure happens if they can't eliminate all the shields in a single attempt.
- Moving from card to card causes the expenditure of 1 TU each time.
- If you fail, you have to take the tests back again.

Example:
Time Captain reads the A card. Cards are randomly dispatched. Reveal the first one (on the B space) and put the whole group on it. (note : this doesn't cost 1 TU as you enter the location).
The rogue/assassin roll dice. This spends 1 TU. Let's say they succeed. The group then moves to the next card = another TU spent. They roll dice (1 TU) and move to the next card (1 TU). Another success (1 TU) and another move (1 TU) and you're on the E card.

Question 4:

Immobilized means you can’t leave the card you’re on. If you’re not a magic-user, you can’t do anything.
Your interpretation is correct, immobilized characters lose a life point each time 1 TU is spent. If a magician casts a spell, this is the magician’s action during this TU.
Coming to the rescue means vanquishing the test, thus freeing the immobilized character on the card. The test must be resolved entirely in order for the character to be « freed ». Then, this character doesn’t lose LP anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Efka Bladukas
United Kingdom
Harpenden
Please select region, state or province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answers! I have some followup questions.

Follow up to Question 4

Can you use a beacon when you're immobilized?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Mr Poulpe"]Question 3:
- Characters are on the same space as cards are revealed progressively. You don't have a choice in this case.
- Only the thief and the assassin can make rolls here.
- Both can make the same challenge. They should, actually. They eliminate shields as usual so failure happens if they can't eliminate all the shields in a single attempt.
- Moving from card to card causes the expenditure of 1 TU each time.
- If you fail, you have to take the tests back again.

Example:
Time Captain reads the A card. Cards are randomly dispatched. Reveal the first one (on the B space) and put the whole group on it. (note : this doesn't cost 1 TU as you enter the location).
The rogue/assassin roll dice. This spends 1 TU. Let's say they succeed. The group then moves to the next card = another TU spent. They roll dice (1 TU) and move to the next card (1 TU). Another success (1 TU) and another move (1 TU) and you're on the E card.

This is the opposite of what card 121 says It specifically says you reveal all the cards and then you choose a path.

This route is hard enough as it is compared to another route, so adding extra randomness seems wrong here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Poulpe
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
You're right. The A card is correct about revealing the cards at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Minotto II
United States
Womelsdorf
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is how my group interpreted these scenarios. They seemed logical to us based on the guidelines provided by the game cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.