Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Gamer Curator
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My shipment should be arriving today and my game night is tomorrow evening (great coincidence!). I've played multiple 4 player games and am thinking of hosting a 6-7 player match. This brings up a couple questions:

1. Does downtime become an issue at this player count?
2. Do games take much longer? My thought is that it won't since there are just as many possibilities of advancing on the doom track.

I know a lot of people haven't used the 6-8 player map since it's just coming out, but I'm assuming a few people have.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General downtime will increase by about 50%, since it goes from 4 other actions between your own with 5 players, to 6 actions between your own with 7 players.

Additionally, if someone runs out of power more quickly (like, if only they bring out their GOO on turn 2, and everyone else does other stuff), they will experience a good chunk of downtime while waiting for everyone else to run out of power.

The game takes roughly 30 minutes per player, so you might expect a 7 player game to take 3-4 hours. If players aren't already familiar with the faction, analysis paralysis per player might get worse, so I would emphasize that people should focus on playing fast rather than min-maxing every decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gamer Curator
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This helps a ton. Thanks. Looks like a game of Rex might be a better option if we have 6. A large game of Cthulhu Wars might take some more planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one 7 player game. Actual game took about 2 hours. Downtime was slightly higher just due to number of players, but not too much of a difference from 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
...analysis paralysis per player...

I agree with Adam's statement, plus there is a compounding AP effect per faction/neutral in the game, regardless of familiarity. (The more possibilities and rule exceptions there are, the more time it takes to account for them all during the course of play.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing you might want to consider is that after the first, subsequent games flow a lot quicker. The same is true for games of 3-5 players. Adam is correct in the "30 minutes per player" estimation, however especially if players keep the same factions for the second game, it will definitely take less time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a stupid question, but which track do you use when playing with 8 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 8 player track will be included in OS2, alongside the 8th playable faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! Of course. I knew it was a silly question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.