Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

During the Advertising Phase, is there an actual purpose to placing the Magicians Posters, that I'm missing? Otherwise, I see the placement of the posters as a device to merely paste some theme on to a standard Euro catch-up mechanic.

My tone may bely the fact that I really, really like this game. I'm mostly an Ameritrasher, but this Euro is a wonderful game and will stay on my shelf, I'm certain! Euros always struggle to incorporate theme into the design of the game's mechanics. Mostly, I've noticed that Euros add theme to standard mechanics (some would say, "paste on"), and also provide theme through the game's narrative and back story. Trickerion's example of this is the backstory written inside the front cover of the rulebook. It has absolutely zero to do with the game play, but it sets a thematic tone nonetheless. (BTW, this is not a slight against Trickerion - this can be said for just about any other game in existence).

Other examples of how Trickerion struggles to incorporate theme, but does so regardless, is with the game's concept of Learning and Performing Tricks. So simply pulling a trick card from a pile equals learning it? Thematically, of course not. But mechanically, the designer has to put a label on the action, and I guess that label is just as good as any.

But I have to admit that Performing a trick was a bit of a thematic let down, even for a Euro. I mean, players don't even need to move their hands during this phase of the game! So the whole notion - thematically, or mechanically - that you're performing the tricks - even if only a label given for the action - is the only part of the game that falters for me - thematically and mechanically, again.

Wow, did I ever digress! Sorry about that. So why did I go there when I was asking only about placing the posters? I guess it's because I understand how hard it is for a Euro designer to put theme into his/her game. And for the most part, Trickerion does theme incredibly well for a Euro (well, except for the Performing Tricks part, that is).

But the act of placing the posters really does seem like a stretched attempt to simply "paste-on" some theme without adding anything to either the game play or the story. Which is why I'm wondering if there's something deeper that I'm missing. It's definitely a cool touch, but I'm not getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Purpose of placing Advertising Posters?
This was discussed in a previous post, and the consensus was that it's just for theme, as there was no card/power anywhere that anyone was aware of that would reference whether or not you placed the poster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use it in the advertising phase. If a player chooses to advertise, they put their poster up for a turn. It's a little fiddly, but it's also a nice little bit of theme that my group likes.

Other than that, I think there may be a magician power that interacts with advertisements IIRC, so there may be an advantage to having a reminder you did so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
Which is why I'm wondering if there's something deeper that I'm missing. It's definitely a cool touch, but I'm not getting it.

You are not missing anything, the placement is just there to add to the theme. I think it's quite charming actually and it's silly, but it kinda is my favourite part of the game ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:
Which is why I'm wondering if there's something deeper that I'm missing. It's definitely a cool touch, but I'm not getting it.

You are not missing anything, the placement is just there to add to the theme. I think it's quite charming actually and it's silly, but it kinda is my favourite part of the game ^^

Of course, the last game I played some guy advertised four times and then won the game on tiebreakers. Without ads, no victory for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

dojogrant wrote:
This was discussed in a previous post,...

Whoops... sorry about that. Didn't mean to submit a repeat thread. I usually search for similar threads before I start a new one, but I didn't do that this time, for some inexplicable reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Rieberghs
Belgium
Turnhout
-- Maak uw keuze --
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
This was discussed in a previous post, and the consensus was that it's just for theme, as there was no card/power anywhere that anyone was aware of that would reference whether or not you placed the poster.

It's NOT just for the theme, if you play with the Dark ally expansion there are some prophecies that actually use the advertisement for something extra !! This is just an easy way to see who has advertised and who not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of at least one Dark Alley prophecy that gives your assistants an additional action point if you promoted yourself that round. Definitely useful beyond theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

dirkske wrote:
It's NOT just for the theme, if you play with the Dark ally expansion there are some prophecies that actually use the advertisement for something extra !!

kelann08 wrote:
I know of at least one Dark Alley prophecy that gives your assistants an additional action point if you promoted yourself that round. Definitely useful beyond theme.

Well, I guess that answers that! Exactly what I was wondering, as I haven't played the Dark Alley version, nor studied any of its components.

I was wrong by guessing it was merely an attempt to paste theme onto a standard mechanic. Thanks for setting me straight. Guess I gotta try the Dark Alley version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Péter
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also nice to have some further design space for a potential future expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wondered about a rule that gave you an extra benefit when performing if you had advertised that round. After all, if you've been advertising your show all day/week/length-of-a-turn long then surely more people are going to turn up to see it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
petervik wrote:
It's also nice to have some further design space for a potential future expansion

Oh, you have to tell us more now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
petervik wrote:

Oh, you have to tell us more now...

Well, you'll have to put stickers on those posters to unlock the zombie miniatures.

Obviously, duh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
Guess I gotta try the Dark Alley version!

I don't play without it. Basic version feels fine for teaching non-heavy gamers, but for anyone else, it falls flat. The bonus effect cards you get from the Dark Alley and the shifting prophecies are huge for creating variety and interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.