United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Post discussion about the new beta test here. Thanks everyone for helping out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the "More Information" section of the game page missing on purpose or is it a bug?

In many games, there is a large, large amount of information there (Such as X-Wing). Its also where all of a games microbadges are listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I reiterate. This is Sparta!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just the game pages at this point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3wgames wrote:
Is the "More Information" section of the game page missing on purpose or is it a bug?

In many games, there is a large, large amount of information there (Such as X-Wing). Its also where all of a games microbadges are listed.

Nevermind, I've found it. Now its titled "Wiki" and its a separate tab now

Maybe we can get a new row added below the description and above the list of old reviews where a games microbadges can be displayed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to see a preference setting for less whitespace and smaller fonts in style of the tables ("In-Depth Reviews", "Files", "Forums", etc.). Even with a big monitor (28") I feel like everything is too spread out; just a personal preference, maybe.

Really like what I'm seeing so far though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, i like it more than i expected to.

But then again, I don't use the game pages *that* much compared to other parts of the site, so thats where things will be make or break for me.

The one thing I am finding a tad annoying is the quicklinks bar. Previously we could easily swap between any page of our quick bar, now its a 3 step process to make a different page of links appear. Not the end of the world, but its the one nit i've found so far, besides the dropping of microbadges from the page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for starting this thread!

Initial thoughts:

1. Please let us disable animated avatars if they're going to show up all over.

2. I find it much harder now to skim for some of the key information about a review: how many thumbs and responses it has. It would be much easier to see this information quickly if it appeared in a fixed spot at either side. For thumbs, it might be enough just to switch the number with the icon; for replies, I'd like to see "Replies: X" aligned at the right.

3. I appreciate the fact that the default review sort is Hotness; it would be nice if that sort were retained when switching to text-only or video-only reviews.

4. I think the player count would be easier to read if Best began on a new line, so that the best count would be less likely to split over multiple lines.

5. I wish the ratings were still shown to two decimal places, though I suspect this one is a lost cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what's different? Any pictures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it so far, especially the new image and video gallery.
Question, are we supposed to use the Feedback button for anything in particular?
I did, just can't stop from clicking the shiny things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread!

Initial thoughts:

1. Please let us disable animated avatars if they're going to show up all over.

2. I find it much harder now to skim for some of the key information about a review: how many thumbs and responses it has. It would be much easier to see this information quickly if it appeared in a fixed spot at either side. For thumbs, it might be enough just to switch the number with the icon; for replies, I'd like to see "Replies: X" aligned at the right.

3. I appreciate the fact that the default review sort is Hotness; it would be nice if that sort were retained when switching to text-only or video-only reviews.

4. I think the player count would be easier to read if Best began on a new line, so that the best count would be less likely to split over multiple lines.

5. I wish the ratings were still shown to two decimal places, though I suspect this one is a lost cause.

I agree with your comments about Alignment. Alignment and absolute position are critical in a users browsing experience, and also disabling animated avatars will be a nice option.

I'm not sure that preferences are active on the page, because I tried turning off the hotness and it didn't work for the beta page, but works on all other pages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also:

Is the number of reviews next to the reviewer's name supposed to be how many reviews that person has written? If so, it seems to be significantly off. But I can't think of what else it could be.

In any case, it would be nice if those numbers were links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And a bug, I hope:

Line breaks don't appear in my play log comments.

(I do love the new "Game Details" dropdown that no longer requires loading a new page.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I previously reported this bug, and it was fixed, and now it is back to the old functionality:
On the game page, I like to be able to click on the representative image in order to get the ImageID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
I love the way the new game page layout makes the game take center stage. The games really look so much more attractive in the new interface compared to the old "tiny image in the upper left corner and a mountain of text."

Since this is a site on board games, making games look great is really a step up. The string of user uploaded pictures horizontally near the top also looks great.

You guys must have worked your tails off to make this happen! Thumbs up and great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way to make the page default to a different tab? When you first navigate to a page, it starts up on Overview. Is it possible to start it on Forums or Stats, for example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
I love the way the new game page layout makes the game take center stage. The games really look so much more attractive in the new interface compared to the old "tiny image in the upper left corner and a mountain of text."

Since this is a site on board games, making games look great is really a step up. The string of user uploaded pictures horizontally near the top also looks great.

You guys must have worked your tails off to make this happen! Thumbs up and great work!

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a complaint but am I seeing a strong Facebook influence or is it just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing big but Amazon ads are showing on game pages.

I have patron badge with everything blocked.

Awesome work.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My assumption is that the game page is not pulling individual preferences and is running off a beta template.

But if thats wrong, then there is a bug with it calling user preferences
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're looking at a list of forum threads, which is more important, the avatar of the person who created it, or the number of thumbs it's gotten?

Right now, it's like this:

CIRCLE t50·29 replies·jim·Last active: 1 month ago

I suggest it be changed to this:

t50 Some interesting thread
---- 29 replies·jim·Last active: 1 month ago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What happened to the n00b "Front Page" version where small photos of the People appeared when you hovered the mouse onto these? Can we obtain the 'selection' for any as use of this kind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Podcast links/reviews are the very last option at the bottom of the sidebar?!? Really?

Can BGG please give podcasts equal treatment as they do other forms of reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems odd that the star ratings are dropped on mobile devices, overall the responsive design seems to be working really well.

Ability to filter forum sections (news, general, etc) on mobile would be nice as well. Just need to move the 'All" drop-down to the main page instead of the forum sub-section.

Boanerges wrote:
Is it just the game pages at this point?

Seems like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmb
I like the new beta look and layout. Then I brought it up in my phone browser, wow, that was even more impressive. The mobile experience was very readable without needing to re-size the screen. It was organized in a way that is very usable, without feeling like something was compromised in order to make it smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new interface. It is more user-friendly, especially for new users.

I have a suggestion. We see the following main categories underneath the game picture:

[Overview][Forums][Images][Videos][Files][Stats][Wiki][Expansions][Marketplace][More...]

When I click on [More...], I find a dropdown bar showing the following:

[Versions]
[News & Links]
[Linked Items]
[Geeklists]
[Full Credits]
[My Games]

When I click on News & Links, I find the following:

[News]
[Blogs]
[Links]
[Podcasts]

And the user needs to click on each of those choices to get into say [News].

Suggestion: Can we show all the main categories underneath the game picture, i.e. remove the [More...] and replace it with all the main categories? It will therefore look like this:

First row: [Overview][Forums][Images][Videos][Files][Stats][Wiki][Expansions][Marketplace]
Second row: [Versions][News & Links][Linked Items][Geeklists][Full Credits][My Games]

Reasons for my suggestion: It doesn't take up too much space to show the second row, but the new user will be able to see all main categories with one glance. As it is now, items like [News], [Blogs],
[Links] and [Podcasts] are quite difficult to find. I feel these are very important items, especially when researching for a new game. It would be great if they are made more visible and removing the [More...] layer should help substantially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.