New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!
badge
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold, Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold; When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West, Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit confused with the whole direction of Pixel Tactics. They are not exactly expansions in the usual sense, because to play multiple decks together requires you to use a variant that just makes it a different game, from what I gather. So my intitial intention is to play them as stand-alones.

(1) How enjoyable are the games as stand-alones? If I had Pixel Tactics 1 and enjoyed it, would you recommend me getting Pixel Tactics 2+ just to be played on its own? And what happens to the replayability in this case? If I played Pixel Tactics 1 for a while, then moved on to Pixel Tactics 2+, would I ever be willing to go back and play Pixel Tactics 1?

(2) I understand that the games, especially Pixel Tactics 1, weren't balanced across different sets for constructed play and require card bans and such. That's fine by me, as I'm not intending to construct decks. But what about balance within sets? Can I buy Pixel Tactics 1 and play it being confident that, say, no leader will win all the time with no hopes for the opponent to do anything about it baring some extreme luck?

(3) Also, do I understand correctly that all Pixel Tactics games currently available on Level 99 Games' website (1-5 and Deluxe) are updated/corrected versions with updated rulebooks, and the vast majority of confusion on these forums refers to editions prior to this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Th334 wrote:
(1) How enjoyable are the games as stand-alones? If I had Pixel Tactics 1 and enjoyed it, would you recommend me getting Pixel Tactics 2+ just to be played on its own? And what happens to the replayability in this case? If I played Pixel Tactics 1 for a while, then moved on to Pixel Tactics 2+, would I ever be willing to go back and play Pixel Tactics 1?

The original Pixel Tactics was intended to be a standalone game. After its success, new Pixel Tactics iterations were published, also intended to be standalone games. I own Pixel Tactics 1-3 and they work well as standalones.

PT2 and PT3 offer more content to PT1. They are the same game, with different abilities so you can explore different combos. New abilities are a bit more complex, but they don't add new mechanics or layers of complexity, just more content of the same level. You can return to PT1 after playing PT2, or you can even make weird things as pitting a PT2 deck against a PT1 deck, and still works.

Th334 wrote:
(2) I understand that the games, especially Pixel Tactics 1, weren't balanced across different sets for constructed play and require card bans and such. That's fine by me, as I'm not intending to construct decks. But what about balance within sets? Can I buy Pixel Tactics 1 and play it being confident that, say, no leader will win all the time with no hopes for the opponent to do anything about it baring some extreme luck?

PT1 has already undergone some balancing rework that prevented some heroes and leaders from being overpowered (Magdelina Larington) or underpowered (Hikaru Sorayama). The actual printing includes those corrections. Some specific leaders still feel strong against other specific leaders, but not enough to be a balancing problem.

Th334 wrote:
(3) Also, do I understand correctly that all Pixel Tactics games currently available on Level 99 Games' website (1-5 and Deluxe) are updated/corrected versions with updated rulebooks, and the vast majority of confusion on these forums refers to editions prior to this one?

I don't know. Maybe not.

Pixel Tactics will undergo a second rework with the publication of PT 4, 5 and DX: a new "Trap" mechanic, rename Attack Powers as Spells, maybe more rebalancing... Right now the online PT rules haven't been updated, they are still the old version. The oficial shop still says that PT4, 5 and DX are in preorder.

I think the game is still waiting for its big rework.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!
badge
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold, Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold; When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West, Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollyhock wrote:
Th334 wrote:

I don't know. Maybe not.

Pixel Tactics will undergo a second rework with the publication of PT 4, 5 and DX: a new "Trap" mechanic, rename Attack Powers as Spells, maybe more rebalancing... Right now the online PT rules haven't been updated, they are still the old version. The oficial shop still says that PT4, 5 and DX are in preorder.

I think the game is still waiting for its big rework.

That makes sense, I don't think reprinted 1-3 would get in stock before 4-5 and Deluxe.

So if I want the updated edition, my options are either ordering 4-5 or Deluxe, or waiting for reprint of 1-3? Is there any info about when reprinted 1-3 will become available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PT1-3 have been reprinted already. The completionist pledge from the Pixel Tactics Deluxe Kickstarter came with it. And the holiday bundle on the L99 store looks like it comes with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
PT1-3 have been reprinted already. The completionist pledge from the Pixel Tactics Deluxe Kickstarter came with it. And the holiday bundle on the L99 store looks like it comes with it.

I see! I wonder if Pixel Tactics 1 from L99 store is the reprinted version or not, or if it's only the Holiday Bundle. I emailed them earlier today, we shall see what they reply.

Anyways, would you recommend starting with Deluxe to get all the tokens and such, or just getting Pixel Tactics 1 to try first is sufficient and doesn't require any of the Deluxe components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Th334 wrote:
RayLancer wrote:

I see! I wonder if Pixel Tactics 1 from L99 store is the reprinted version or not, or if it's only the Holiday Bundle. I emailed them earlier today, we shall see what they reply.

Anyways, would you recommend starting with Deluxe to get all the tokens and such, or just getting Pixel Tactics 1 to try first is sufficient and doesn't require any of the Deluxe components?

They are all standalone. I feel like 1 is the easiest set to play with and cheaper than Deluxe. Deluxe is good if you plan on getting all the games since it's a standalone set and has a great box for storing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
Th334 wrote:
RayLancer wrote:

They are all standalone. I feel like 1 is the easiest set to play with and cheaper than Deluxe. Deluxe is good if you plan on getting all the games since it's a standalone set and has a great box for storing.

Since there is no overlap between the two (AFAIK), I'd say go with Pixel Tactics 1. If you like it, you can then buy Deluxe for storage and the extra set. And then you could start collecting PT 2, 3 and 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Anonymous
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can I tell whether the ones I'm looking at in an online store
are the recent reprint or the old version (or are all of those long since gone, and they're definitely the new ones)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. All the games should be enjoyable as stand-alones.

2. We attempt to balance within sets and across sets as much as possible. Many of the banned cards were due to combinations that did not exist until newer sets were made, while the rest were just deemed too powerful from previous sets to current ones.

3. All PT products besides the minipaks in our online store are the current versions with updated terminology and icons. The minipacks have not had a reprint since the update so they do not have a current updated version. All previous versions of PT should be identical effect-wise to the current versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imfrumlakewood wrote:
How can I tell whether the ones I'm looking at in an online store
are the recent reprint or the old version (or are all of those long since gone, and they're definitely the new ones)?

I posted some pictures here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21418069#21418069

Shoot the store an email, and ask them to verify the UPC bar code on the back says like L99-PT001 because the old ones do not have that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithry wrote:
1. All the games should be enjoyable as stand-alones.

2. We attempt to balance within sets and across sets as much as possible. Many of the banned cards were due to combinations that did not exist until newer sets were made, while the rest were just deemed too powerful from previous sets to current ones.

3. All PT products besides the minipaks in our online store are the current versions with updated terminology and icons. The minipacks have not had a reprint since the update so they do not have a current updated version. All previous versions of PT should be identical effect-wise to the current versions.

Thanks Joshua, really appreciate you answering community's questions on BGG. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it worth getting the reprints of sets 1-3 if you have the old ones? I cannot figure that part out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikeg99 wrote:
Is it worth getting the reprints of sets 1-3 if you have the old ones? I cannot figure that part out.

I think the answer is no, the differences are largely cosmetic. Some terminology changes, and maybe a couple rule clarifications, which you can find on these forums too.

From the tournament rulebook here on BGG:
8. Other Terminology.
8.1. Older Terminology.
8.1.1. Spell Abilities were called “Attack Actions” and designated by the text “Attack:” in
some editions of the game. The two terms are interchangeable.
8.1.2. Operations were called “Ongoing Orders” in some editions of the game. The two
terms are interchangeable.
8.1.3. The Move Action was called “Restructure” in older editions of the game. The two
8.1.4. Positional Abilities were called “Effects” in older editions of the game. The two

This kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure that if you want to buy more Pixel Tactics you'd be better off buying something you don't already have (like 4, 5, Deluxe, minipacks).

And as Joshua just said above, "All previous versions of PT should be identical effect-wise to the current versions."

PS: But if you're a perfectionist, really love the game, play it a lot, want everything to be consistent, and have nothing better to spend your money on, then sure, go ahead. I would probably re-order them myself in this case. After all, they are dirt cheap if you are in the US, and supporting one of your favourite games is a good thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Th334 wrote:
Mikeg99 wrote:

I think the answer is no, the differences are largely cosmetic. Some terminology changes, and maybe a couple rule clarifications, which you can find on these forums too.

From the tournament rulebook here on BGG:
8. Other Terminology.
8.1. Older Terminology.
8.1.1. Spell Abilities were called “Attack Actions” and designated by the text “Attack:” in
some editions of the game. The two terms are interchangeable.
8.1.2. Operations were called “Ongoing Orders” in some editions of the game. The two
8.1.3. The Move Action was called “Restructure” in older editions of the game. The two
8.1.4. Positional Abilities were called “Effects” in older editions of the game. The two

This kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure that if you want to buy more Pixel Tactics you'd be better off buying something you don't already have (like 4, 5, Deluxe, minipacks).

And as Joshua just said above, "All previous versions of PT should be identical effect-wise to the current versions."

PS: But if you're a perfectionist, really love the game, play it a lot, want everything to be consistent, and have nothing better to spend your money on, then sure, go ahead. I would probably re-order them myself in this case. After all, they are dirt cheap if you are in the US, and supporting one of your favourite games is a good thing to do.

Thanks for providing this. I have only played a few times and supported the deluxe kickstarter. I was just thinking it would be easier to teach and play if everything had consistent terms and symbology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikeg99 wrote:
I was just thinking it would be easier to teach and play if everything had consistent terms and symbology.

Yeah. Although with PT, if you just play/teach one deck as a stand-alone (which is the standard way of playing) then it doesn't really matter that terminology is slightly different in other PT games. I'd imagine one deck will have enough replayability for at least 20-30 games, at which point moving on to a different deck and learning a couple of new keywords not gonna be a problem for you, because you will know the game well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is ultimately up to you whether or not you think this is worth it. Mechanically all of the effects are the same, but if you feel you'd like the updated wording and icons it may be worth it to pick them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.