Popular Tags: [View All]
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed last night that CSI has increased their pricing on upcoming LCG products from Fantasy Flight.

War Packs for Conquest were $9.49, now $11.29
Deluxe Boxes for Conquest were $18.99, now $22.49

I have not checked other non-LCG FFG products for increases, these just stood out to me because I've bought so many LCG products through CSI.

The prices only seem to be on pre-order future releases, all currently available products are still priced at the old rates, this is true across the entire LCG family.

Could this be a telegraphing of potential pricing bumps due to the announcement made by Asmodee North America, or just a coincidence.

edit: To be 100% clear. I don't have a problem with the price increases (at all), nor is this thread me complaining about them (at all). I just noticed it and wanted to see what others thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons is $22.49 (25% off)

I've run across quite a few pre-orders at that discount level, so I'm pretty sure the ANA agreement will be 25% discounts at approved online retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:

I've run across quite a few pre-orders at that discount level, so I'm pretty sure the ANA agreement will be 25% discounts at approved online retailers.

Yes, that too would be an increase from previous pricing. The Marcy Case was $20.99 from CSI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Industry consolidation...
Declining choice...
Price increases...
The glory days are over.
Time to start collecting stamps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
RichardU wrote:

Yes, that too would be an increase from previous pricing. The Marcy Case was $20.99 from CSI.

Marcy Case is $19.99, so ANA is effectively increasing the end price to consumers by 12.5%. http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/217631

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef Kevin
United States
Greenfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
The best mats ever!
badge
Yes, that's me in the latte!
mbmbmbmbmb
MM has followed as well. Looks like ANA is price fixing at 25% max off for online stores going forward. It's not on existing stock, unless they are changing it as I am writing this. All pre-orders for Asmodee are 25% off only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
jmathias wrote:
RichardU wrote:

Marcy Case is $19.99, so ANA is effectively increasing the end price to consumers by 12.5%. http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/217631

I paid $20.99 for the Marcy Case in November 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that haven't seen it, this article may be of interest, and likely touches on what is happening.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmod...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
25% was the target percent I thought they would aim for, so I'm not surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Paying an additional 12.5% on some of my cheap online board games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile, Cardhaus remains the same price. Obvious conclusion is obvious. Now if you gentlemen will excuse me, I have pressing business...

*sips chocolate milk like a BOSS*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

This scene is where Lucas tossed the crumpled $5 bill in my face as he left the room. Leaving me cold, dirty, and confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just continue purchasing my LCG packs from a FLGS - seems to have worked well thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

I have no issue with the higher costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:
I'll just continue purchasing my LCG packs from a FLGS - seems to have worked well thus far.

Then you can pay even more!

But still those are small potatoes... it's the bigger games where the LGS is overpriced enough to matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome I was just thinking I hadnt seen a "price gouging" thread in awhile.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
I noticed last night that CSI has increased their pricing on upcoming LCG products from Fantasy Flight.

War Packs for Conquest were $9.49, now $11.29
Deluxe Boxes for Conquest were $18.99, now $22.49

I have not checked other non-LCG FFG products for increases, these just stood out to me because I've bought so many LCG products through CSI.

The prices only seem to be on pre-order future releases, all currently available products are still priced at the old rates, this is true across the entire LCG family.

Could this be a telegraphing of potential pricing bumps due to the announcement made by Asmodee North America, or just a coincidence.

For the record, this change took place about the same time as the "clarification" from ANA, weeks ago. I was wondering if they would bump prices across the board come the new year, but fortunately the restock of the new edition GoT Card Game is still at its full discount, as are existing X-Wing minis and so on. Given likely release dates on some of the preorder items, I'm not really certain what's going on. Does the new pricing agreement only apply to items released in 2016 and beyond? Does it apply across the board but not take affect until April 1, but etailers are preparing consumers now and milking a little extra profit from items that come out earlier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading on one of those "clarifications" that Asmodee said they were not going to put a price cap on games. If that is true, my guess is that the wholesale price retailers have to pay to the distributors (passed down from the company) has increased.

As much as I groaned at seeing the higher prices, I don't fault retailers if they have to increase the retail prices to meet their profit margin to make up for the increased prices they have to pay to acquire the games in the first place.

That would explain why existing stock prices are unchanged while the newer items are more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I too have no problem with the increase in cost. Please charge me more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
tumorous wrote:

I have no issue with the higher costs.

Great! I'll send you the bill of the difference so I can keep enjoying the company's games.

Such a generous guy looking out for me like that.

Real class act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of imposing a $5/game "fellow BGGer" fee on all CSI and MM orders I read about...

Invoices will be going out by GM shortly.

Thank you for your purchase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bored Now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Rebellion just jumped $20. Officially priced out of my range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
I remember reading on one of those "clarifications" that Asmodee said they were not going to put a price cap on games. If that is true, my guess is that the wholesale price retailers have to pay to the distributors (passed down from the company) has increased.

As much as I groaned at seeing the higher prices, I don't fault retailers if they have to increase the retail prices to meet their profit margin to make up for the increased prices they have to pay to acquire the games in the first place.

That would explain why existing stock prices are unchanged while the newer items are more expensive.

You're missing the point though.

Now that ANA has accumulated so much gaming IP....they're effectively price fixing.

They are publicly stating that it's to protect Brick & Mortar stores from predatory online pricing, but the reality is that all retailers whether Brick & Mortar or online are going to feel the pinch of increased costs...which will be passed on the consumer.

In short, they're padding their wallets because they now effectively control enough to do so without concern for consumer backlash because ... well ... they are the industry at this point for a large number of popular titles. The increase revenue will, in turn, be used to further consolidate the industry and further "help."

I get that they are a business. I get that they exist to make money. What I dislike is the lie that this is about ANYTHING more than simply lining their pockets.

Thankfully ... I'm primarily a wargamer and our publishers haven't caved this garbage....yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
secoAce wrote:

You're missing the point though.

Now that ANA has accumulated so much gaming IP....they're effectively price fixing.

They are publicly stating that it's to protect Brick & Mortar stores from predatory online pricing, but the reality is that all retailers whether Brick & Mortar or online are going to feel the pinch of increased costs...which will be passed on the consumer.

In short, they're padding their wallets because they now effectively control enough to do so without concern for consumer backlash because ... well ... they are the industry at this point for a large number of popular titles. The increase revenue will, in turn, be used to further consolidate the industry and further "help."

I get that they are a business. I get that they exist to make money. What I dislike is the lie that this is about ANYTHING more than simply lining their pockets.

Thankfully ... I'm primarily a wargamer and our publishers haven't caved this garbage....yet...

Unless you know something I don't, I don't think you understand what has changed and what hasn't. There were no increased costs for B&M retailers. Distributors are only charging OLGSs more to create a more even playing field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.