Popular Tags: should_be_a_GeekList [+] [View All]
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider your favorite video game. Could it work as a far out board game? If it did, would you grab it for your collection?

What of today's insane video games do you think could be awesome board games?

I'm currently over level 70 in Fallout 4 and I've been pondering this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My computer gaming era was ten to twenty years ago, when MMOs were really in their infancy and a lot of games had a single central character. Particular favourites included Quake, Zelda (particularly Occarina of Time) and Metroid (particularly Prime). The central character element means that they wouldn't port well to a multiplayer tabletop game. You could perhaps capture the theme and maybe even some of the feel of the gameplay in a solitaire game but, if it's solitaire, why bother? Why not just play the computer game?

Civ games and Command-and-Conquer-type games lend themselves somewhat better (hence Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game) but digital versions allow for much greater scope and scale by reducing limitations on the size of play area and by doing the admin for you. Boardgame versions are either significantly simplified or else huge, lengthy and unwieldy.

I'm not so up on current computer games but in my limited experience I'd say that the two formats do different things differently well and crossovers should be approached with caution.

(All that being said I loved Bioshock and haven't played Bioshock Infinite so I'd be happy to be proven wrong.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right. There would definitely be an inherent scale of differences. Translation could be a virtual minefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing the APP game Temple Run turned into a card & board game.
Temple Run: Speed Sprint Card Game
Temple Run: Danger Chase
ugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Already done

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wing Commander (1990)??

Lord! Wish it could!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games definitly not, but Populous could make for an interesting board game I think (just saw this is from 1989, ok, I feel old now )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Video to board games aren't that uncommon, even when they may not seem like a great fit at first glance. The aforementioned Civilization seems pretty natural since that game nearly already was a virtual board game, but there are quite a few others that have come along in recent years:

Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game
The Witcher Adventure Game
Uncharted: The Board Game (Uncharted is a favorite franchise of mine, but I don't think the board game really put the theme to good use)
BANG!: Heroes of the Storm
StarCraft: The Board Game
CapCom Street Fighter Deck-Building Game
Gears of War: The Board Game
XCOM: The Board Game
Zombicide is basically Left 4 Dead
Yomi (second edition) which attempts to be a Street Fighter card game
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) which is based on Puzzle Fighter

and that's just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
also done in Age of Empires II, Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, Age of Mythology: The Boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
master of orion : TI:3 or Space Empires 4x etc...

not perfect but great attempts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest issue is probably the licensing fee for a popular game. Probably far more than the development costs for a board game in its entirety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:
Video to board games aren't that uncommon, even when they may not seem like a great fit at first glance. The aforementioned Civilization seems pretty natural since that game nearly already was a virtual board game, but there are quite a few others that have come along in recent years:

Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game
The Witcher Adventure Game
Uncharted: The Board Game (Uncharted is a favorite franchise of mine, but I don't think the board game really put the theme to good use)
BANG!: Heroes of the Storm
StarCraft: The Board Game
CapCom Street Fighter Deck-Building Game
Gears of War: The Board Game
XCOM: The Board Game
Zombicide is basically Left 4 Dead
Yomi (second edition) which attempts to be a Street Fighter card game
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) which is based on Puzzle Fighter

and that's just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head...

Let's not forget all the Warcraft boardgames:

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame
WarCraft: The Board Game
World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game

etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of excellent points. I knew some had been done. I knew about WoW and it seems pretty popular, though very expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexagonal Crank
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a concept, I'd argue that legacy style of board game is trying to bring a video game type experience, specifically dynasty play to board games. Attempts to bring long term(and seemingly permanent) consequences to smaller gaming experiences strike me as board games attempting to emulate video game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Most video games are dexterity-based, so a board game version of one of those would have to either be a dexterity game or translate it into some other skill or luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll cross-post from your thread on /r/boardgames:

For me, this has already been accomplished in Eclipse. My favorite computer game of all time is the original Master of Orion.

I made up a giant session report/sentimental review after I played it for the first time. It's a fantastic replication of the same simulation and experience. Eclipse has more of a Euro base with economy and engine building than a big space opera war game, which captures the essence of what made the infrastructure of Master of Orion so gratifying. Add to that the ship schematic customization, research tracks, resource management, and diplomatic interactions, and a giant neutral guardian in the center of the galaxy and it just nails it as an adaption.

If Touko Takohillio didn't play Master of Orion, I'm absolutely baffled how he replicated it so perfectly as a board game.

I couldn't ask more from it. I vastly prefer cardboard to pixels, so getting the best tactile adaptation of my favorite video game is really something special.

capricorn_tm wrote:
Wing Commander (1990)??

Lord! Wish it could!

Oh man! I loved WC3 with Mark Hamill!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Pavone
United States
Ruby
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you heard, at all, of D&D? Pretty much any setting for a video game could be rendered in a pencil and paper RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
pavo6503 wrote:
Have you heard, at all, of D&D? Pretty much any setting for a video game could be rendered in a pencil and paper RPG.

"World of PONG"

My new idea for the next best-selling RPG system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
pavo6503 wrote:

"World of PONG"

"After the fall of the second age, all that remained of the great mythos was a single orb of power, and two brave, two-dimensional warriors of good and evil."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO many of the spaceship games like Xia are like the old PC games where you built/upgraded a ship and chose to quest, pirate, trade, explore.

I have yet to see an XCom spinoff that I like. Looking for a tabletop version capturing the exact 1990s experience including the color palette and art style. And is totally unplugged

The old Fallout series (1, 2, Tactics) would be an interesting theme. Post-apoc dungeon crawler appears under-represented.

KOTOR kind of has Imperial Assault.

One thing that has turned me off video games in general is there are no more turn-based options or pause to issue orders. Everything is "real-time strategy", "adrenaline shooter" or "action RPG". All that "twitch & click" just stresses me out and doesn't make for an enjoyable experience. MMO's with whack-a-mole style controls are denigrated but I actually liked those (I still miss City of Heroes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:
pavo6503 wrote:

"World of PONG"

"After the fall of the second age, all that remained of the great mythos was a single orb of power, and two brave, two-dimensional warriors of good and evil."

I just leveled up my barbarian fighter. Now I can slide up and down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
The old Fallout series (1, 2, Tactics) would be an interesting theme. Post-apoc dungeon crawler appears under-represented.

These never felt that much like dungeon-crawlers to me. (Well, maybe Tactics.) With the other two I had a lot more fun finding non-combat solutions to problems.

A post-apocalyptic dungeon crawler board game could be pretty great.

crazybyzantine wrote:
One thing that has turned me off video games in general is there are no more turn-based options or pause to issue orders.

You're playing the wrong ones...? Below are games released in 2015 that are good to great games that are turn-based or real-time w/pause games. Scores are from metacritic.

Turn-Based
Galactic Civilization III (81/100)
Invisible Inc (82/100)
Massive Chalice (73/100)
Mordheim: City of the Damned (76/100)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong (81/100)
Undertale (92/100, has simple, real-time dodge mechanic)

Real-Time W/Pause
Pillars of Eternity (89/100)
Prison Architect (83/100)
Total War: Attila (80/100)

Adventure w/no or low real-time requirements
The Beginners Guide (76/100)
The Book of Unwritten Tales (80/100)
Her Story (86/100)
Kings Quest (82/100, some QTE*)
Tales from the Borderlands (85/100, some QTE*)

There are probably more that were released this year and have good scores. But, I only listed what I've played or am interested in.

QTE* - Quick Time Events - Pressing keys or buttons in the sequence indicated on screen. Some games allow you to fail a QTE and still proceed with the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Battle for Biternia - Kerrick
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of great examples mentioned so far. One genre that's getting a good bit of attention recently is the MOBA style of games like League of Legends and DOTA 2. Games like Rum & Bones have made a valiant attempt.

You also see people using the video game aesthetic, like Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game and Pixel Tactics. The latter, along with Krosmaster: Arena, does a good job bringing a Final Fantasy Tactics - style experience to the tabletop.

Personally, I'm doing both at once with my tabletop MOBA, Battle for Biternia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite games are Marvel vs Capcom, Jet Set Radio Future, and Punch Out.
The Capcom fighting game "feel" has already been represented pretty well in board games. I don't know that Jet Set/Grind Radio or Punch Out would make that great of board games. I am sure that a board game couldbe made with either of those properties but however they turned out, they wouldn't capture the "feel" of the video game and could probably have had any other random property attached instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallout or Mass Effect settings could easily be a D20 system or a dungeon crawler like Imperial Assault. RPGs seem like they'd be very easy to convert. Turn-based tactical games also seem like they'd be doable, since it's primarily just streamlining the mechanics.

Depending on who designed the games, I might pick up one of these games if I liked the setting.

I don't know if these would make awesome board games, but I'd be curious to see the rules for a conversion.

FTL - Faster Than Light
A co-op where each player is a character on the ship. Introduce some randomness using different decks that get more difficult to represent different sectors.

Invisible Inc
Stealth-based co-op where players have their own character, but they also share pool of points to determine how to use the AI actions.

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine
Co-op heist game. The game already has different roles with different abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.