3 Posts

Deep Sea Adventure» Forums » Variants

Subject: How about replacing dice with cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Aturn
United States
flag msg tools
I was thinking about ways to mitigate the luck factor, which led me to the idea of using cards. The idea is that everyone has the same set of cards with numbers 2 through 6. On your turn you discard a card and no longer have it for that round. What do you all think? Also, I was wondering what would be a good distribution for the cards... maybe a hand of ten cards.

Example:
2 x 1 card
3 x 2 cards
4 x 4 cards
5 x 2 cards
6 x 1 card

Maybe someone can test it out, as I have yet to get my hands on a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fisher
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I think this would simply turn this into a very different game. You'd get an experience sort of like DSA, but simply not DSA. Why take the randomness out of it? It's a push-your-luck (really, a push-everyone's-luck) style game. The dice are core to the experience.

To me, this change would turn it into a minimally strategic hand management game, where you just hope everyone plays altruistically, because there is now a much higher potential for intentionally screwing everyone if it looks like you aren't going to come out on top (pick up 3 things and play your lowest cards until there is no air). It's just wouldn't be Deep Sea Adventure.

I apologize if I sound dismissive, I just don't understand the impulse to gut a game's core mechanic. I totally get that 'random' is a 4-letter word for some board gamers, but this is sort of like saying 'I think I would like Monopoly, except I want to do away with the property-ownership part'. It's a central part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you must mitigate randomness, maybe try to do it in a thematic way. Something like: for your movement, if you do not pick up or replace a treasure tile, you may drop a treasure tile to the very bottom (form stacks of 3 as usual) to continue moving the same number of spaces as dots on the tile you dropped. E.g., drop a 3-dot tile to the ocean floor to move 3 extra spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.