Popular Tags: [View All]
Audrey Ewing
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked playing ASC back in the 90s and thought it would be fun to introduce my gaming group to something they have never played. So I decided to try and update the look of the game. This will be a slow burn project but I hope to get it done over the coming months.

Here is an example of the first tile recoloring:

let me know what you think.

thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it! Very nice work, especially the contrast of dark tiles with the glowing green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Audrey, are you aware of Textures.com? As a free member you get 15 downloads a day. I was searching for textures myself and found something which might be useful for your work: potentially useful alien texture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audrey Ewing
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, those look interesting. I will play around with one of the textures to see how it looks. Thanks for the link.

-A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audrey Ewing
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I played around with the floor texture and colors for the tiles. While I do like the alien look of the new texture it does make the image busy. The grid colors aren't as important at the moment. I can thicken the line up or change the color. Let me know what you think.

Board #2 with my previous recoloring

Board #2 with the new "alien" texture

Board #2 with the new alien texture and different coloring.

-A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the third one, but the second one could also be used in smaller doses...perhaps as an accent room color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow you killed it! Those both look fantastic! I respectfully disagree about the tiles being too busy. They are very interesting to look at. Also, they look quite alive and 3 dimensional as opposed to the original which was rather flat (but still great!).

I prefer the yellowed version the best. The color compliments the walls nicely. Also, excellent job using the red blotches to tie in with the walls. Admittedly the blue/black version also looks very very nice. They give me an Aliens hive vibe.

I'd say the first feels very alive and energetic, while the second feels dark and ominous. I'd be more scared exploring the second one!

I agree with Ted, it would be cool to see some rooms have a different color. It doesn't necessarily have to be every room with a different color, just occasionally here and there. Just keep in mind the half-square connectors at the edges. These should all be the same color for consistency, although I'm certain you already realize that.

Keep up the great work!!

P.S. If you try alternatively color a different room, consider trying a new texture as well. There are loads more at Textures.com, here is another cool set I found: weird bubbly/melty alien texture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board #2 with the new "alien" texture looks like the product of a disturbed mind. Which is exactly why you nailed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking through Textures.com for my own project and I found some more textures that might benefit you. These are all from the "food" category:
Alien Texture 1, Alien Texture 2, Alien Texture 3, Alien Texture 4, Alien Texture 5

Perhaps these could be used for individual rooms. The first 2 textures I was thinking could just be near a wall and then morph into your existing texture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audrey Ewing
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started work on board 3, so I am roughly half way there. But I do have a request. Could someone please scan boards 1-4 and 7 from White Dwarf 134 (if you have it) at 300 dpi/actual size. They can even be grayscale. My boards have seen betters days and I would prefer these to look as nice as possible. If so send me a message.

Got what I was looking for.

thanks.
-A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Cairo
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
Looking pretty great. I'd like to take a stab at something similar. Is there a resource to get the file scans from? I searched around and came up a bit empty outside of the tile you've posted here.

EDIT: Nevermind, a few more minutes effort and I dug up a french language site with some scans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found another cool texture that you may wish to use: stringy alien stuff (marble countertop).

Also, for fun I've made up some alien structures using screenshots from the amazing computer game Natural Selection 2. Check out the tokens: http://i.imgur.com/XsNWwMk.png. They look even better on your excellent boards:

If you'd like, I can make the primary and secondary objectives (energy cortex, sensory cluster, etc.). I can re-color them to match your boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bowling
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Is this still being worked on? I'd sure love to see more of these. Your tiles are fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audrey Ewing
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon Bowling wrote:
Is this still being worked on? I'd sure love to see more of these. Your tiles are fantastic.

Glad you like them. I did say it is a slow burn project whistle. Currently I am not working on the tiles but I do plan to finish them. I started working on lower resolution images and finished 3 of them. Then I decided to redo the files with higher resolution files and have reworked 2 of them. So maybe I'll have them all finished by 2019 .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wraeththu wrote:
So maybe I'll have them all finished by 2019 .
By then, the Galaxy will have been consumed by the Tyranids.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audrey Ewing
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See I told you I would eventually finish them . Here are what the tiles look like.

I am leaning towards the yellow flooring as it provides good contrast from the walls. The floor really needs to be a different color from any used in the walls otherwise details get lost. Here are 2 alternate red floor versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audrey Ewing
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok more tweaking. Here is a blue and greenish one. The green is not bad as it gives the dark creepy feel but you can still see stuff ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The yellow floor is more creepy. The red floor is more attractive. All three make the game look much less like an acid trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cássio felipe feistel
msg tools
congratulations....
I thought the blue version was the best.
Clean details and was very scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow these look excellent!! I really like the yellow tiles as the details are sharp. Blue looks great too, although they all really look good.

ZombieMark wrote:
All three make the game look much less like an acid trip.
Amen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audrey Ewing
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also been reworking the look of other bits in the game, exploration cards, counters, etc.

-A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audrey Ewing
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok here are the finished tiles and some other goodies if you want to poke around. Note the tiles, objectives, etc are all based on a 1.6in square so a 40mm base will fit. The original tiles were 30mm square. Enjoy!

Now to finish assembling my own set.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/itmkmpfrw0qps95/AADp3bZ96s6FDqIl-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cássio felipe feistel
msg tools
Great work ... thank you very much ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara