Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Moody
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting a campaign tomorrow with 3 total people and am curious what you guys found to be a good difficulty level? I was leaning towards easy or normal as I've heard the game is pretty difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heislegend wrote:
I'm starting a campaign tomorrow with 3 total people and am curious what you guys found to be a good difficulty level? I was leaning towards easy or normal as I've heard the game is pretty difficult.

The game is really hard, so if your group is not experienced with the game, you may not enjoy getting stomped. If this is not the case and your group enjoys the challenge, then you may want to play in HARD mode but you need to warn your players first.

My group likes hard games and they all agreed to play the game in hard mode right from the start but we did lose many scenarios horribly. Noone minded though because they knew about it and they expected the ramped-up challenge.

The other reason we chose the hard difficulty is theme. Almost all optional rules when set to ON increase the difficulty BUT also increase 'realism' (if you can call it that). Shooting bazookas and plasma cannons toward our allies and having them be indestructible was a bit too cheesy for my group to accept.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I play with Human View and High Impact enabled, but my recommendation would be to play either with no optional rules, or with only Human View. For first-time players, no optional rules is usually best (both because it reduces the complexity a little bit, and the difficulty even more). I always play with Human View because I like how thematic it is, but it makes figuring out LOS more complex (and this is one of the things that trips people up the most early on, anyway).

I've never played with Close Fight because it forces you to be even more careful about your positioning (which is another difficult thing to figure out initially).

I do love the High Impact rule, but it's not really necessary on the first few missions because you'll almost never have more than 5 HITs in an attack (technically possible, but very unlikely).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pride myself on having played and finished the campaign on HARD mode (Close Fight, Human View and Friendly Fire active), not having used the updated mission 5 and High Impact rule! whistle

P.S. but, yeah, I wouldn't recommend that to everyone... especially for a multiplayer campaign. Too much dying that way and resetting to Copper level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play with Close Fight, Human View and High Impact. Gotten my butt kicked well and good numerous times as a result, but they just make sense to me to use. 'Course, Friendly Fire makes sense too but I'm not THAT much of a masochist. Close Fight definitely makes a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with Human View, Close Combat and High Impact. And that is quite tough as is. Cannot imagine playing with friendly fire to be honest. For your first campaign I'd suggest to either make it a bit easier or at least add NPCs to the mix. The game IS brutal for new players and still challenging for experienced ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with every optional rule ON.

This is the only way to play the game for us - intense, tactical and brutal as hell. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.