Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On page 10 of the Rules Reference, the section on "Equipping Gear" specifies two restrictions. The first of these refers to a hero's capacity to equip gear, and the second to the maximum of two weapons, one armour and any number of accessories.

The section below on "Legendary Gear" only explicitly specifies that the second of these restrictions (the maximum of two weapons, one armour and any number of accessories) applies to legendary gear. It also enigmatically states that "a hero can equip any number of his legendary gear cards" subject to this (second) restriction.

One possible interpretation of the above is that gear capacity only applies to ordinary, non-legendary gear, whilst for legendary gear, this capacity restriction is replaced by the phrase "a hero can equip any number of his legendary gear cards". This would mean that legendary gear could be claimed and equipped regardless of the number of gear "slots" that the hero currently possesses.

Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal opinion is that it will be really strange if legendary gear can ignore the maximum gear slot limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure both restrictions are hard, universal limits. I think the intent is to ensure people don't think legendary equipment occupies a different space, subject to different restrictions (i.e. "only one legendary item per hero" or "legendary weapon in addition to two regular weapons"), than regular gear. It doesn't make sense that if you have the space for two pieces of gear you can potentially still equip 4 pieces of gear so long as they are legendary.

Edit: added the word "universal" for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation would be that this statement

"A hero can equip any number of his legendary gear cards following the normal equip restrictions (one armour, two weapons, and any number of accessories)."

refers to both equip restrictions (number of slots and number of types of gear), but the parenthetical is incomplete. However, this is just based on thematic considerations. The way the rules are written, both your interpretation and mine could be correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Gear is Gear. Is this really a question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It did occur to me that the rule that you can't unequip a depleted piece of gear doesn't make much "sense" either. The consensus on other threads is that this rule was introduced due to playability considerations.

So just maybe the designers thought it wouldn't be much fun to have to forego the excitement and satisfaction of acquiring a piece of legendary gear simply because, say, the only available gear slot was occupied by a piece of depleted gear.

It also occurred to me that nothing in the rules on legendary gear made me wonder if a hero could only equip one piece. So it didn't seem unreasonable to wonder if some other meaning was intended, especially as capacity was omitted from the parenthesized list of "normal" restrictions on legendary gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

I'm with you. At this point I think people are actively trying to confuse the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a positive sign about the popularity of the game that even things that 99.9% of people would have no question about, get questioned. Because there are thousands of people playing the game. That's a good thing! But it does generate a lot of threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

At this point I think people are actively trying to confuse the rules.

Absolutely not the case! This is a legitimate question. Why do you think it's malicious?

I really can't resolve this ambiguity using "common sense" as in the world that I inhabit, people don't have to visit an "arena" in order to acquire the ability to equip more than one thing at a time. As legendary gear is class specific, maybe just being a member of that class means that a hero already has the ability to equip several pieces of such gear. (No, this isn't a complaint, I fully accept that game worlds have to differ from the real world!) Guess we'll have to wait for the official FAQ.

Notice that I haven't complained about the quality of the rules, as I have sufficient imagination to realise that it's virtually impossible to construct rules that are completely free from the occasional ambiguity. Surely raising these issues can only help improve the coverage of the forthcoming official FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO if you start putting questions like, "Is Legendary Gear a kind of Gear?" in the FAQ then you're going to have hundreds of pages. But perhaps the authors will feel differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
IMHO if you start putting questions like, "Is Legendary Gear a kind of Gear?" in the FAQ then you're going to have hundreds of pages. But perhaps the authors will feel differently.

Well, the "F" in FAQ stands for "Frequently". This question has been asked once only

Similarly, there is a question in the forum about "what do I do when I roll explosion in my dice" and many others that are directly answered in the
rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the "living rules" update approach. A couple of words could be changed in the Legendary Gear section to make it that much clearer, at no cost. But every item you add to an FAQ comes with a substantial cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kfjones wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

At this point I think people are actively trying to confuse the rules.

Absolutely not the case! This is a legitimate question. Why do you think it's malicious?

I really can't resolve this ambiguity using "common sense" as in the world that I inhabit, people don't have to visit an "arena" in order to acquire the ability to equip more than one thing at a time. As legendary gear is class specific, maybe just being a member of that class means that a hero already has the ability to equip several pieces of such gear. (No, this isn't a complaint, I fully accept that game worlds have to differ from the real world!) Guess we'll have to wait for the official FAQ.

Notice that I haven't complained about the quality of the rules, as I have sufficient imagination to realise that it's virtually impossible to construct rules that are completely free from the occasional ambiguity. Surely raising these issues can only help improve the coverage of the forthcoming official FAQ.

It does seem pretty brutal to have to pass on a piece of Legendary Gear just because you can't drop something because it is depleted.

I have a feeling your second interpretation is probably correct. If they wanted it treated the same way, I doubt it would have been mentioned twice. They could have just said all gear and not make any distinction regarding Legendary Gear.

I'm confident that there will be an errata or some clarification for it in the future... I could be wrong though. Either way, you own the game, interpret the rules as you see fit. Short of a designer popping up and answering your guess is as good as anybody else's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This and similar questions would've been less of an issue if FFG hadn't apparently asked to Sadler brothers to back off the BGG forums. What a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:

It does seem pretty brutal to have to pass on a piece of Legendary Gear just because you can't drop something because it is depleted.

Well if there's a Legendary gear card in the pool, it's kinda up to you to decide if exhausting something is worth it - that's the beauty of the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vdaoine wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

Well if there's a Legendary gear card in the pool, it's kinda up to you to decide if exhausting something is worth it - that's the beauty of the system.

There's no beauty that I see, but then again there are some that like getting kicked in between their legs. I guess to each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:

If I may paraphrase Mary McCarthy:
"Every word they write needs a FAQ, including'and' and 'the'."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I think it's a positive sign about the popularity of the game that even things that 99.9% of people would have no question about, get questioned. Because there are thousands of people playing the game. That's a good thing! But it does generate a lot of threads.

I do agree with that. And as an effect it also means we'll get plenty more content for WQCG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually I think that the key here is "following normal gear restrictions". I think that includes everything, including number of gear cards, they just left the parentheses incomplete, either they forgot or they did that for brevity (this is an example as to why sometimes writing really everything instead of writing less rules when not needed can create more problems).
The problem with depleted gear is also not that huge IMHO. Normally characters always have at least one free slot or one gear in their inventory that they can dump. I have never seen a character with all slots occupied by depletable gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Idorrac wrote:
Actually I think that the key here is "following normal gear restrictions". I think that includes everything, ...

Yes, this is indeed the key point. When I first discovered this ambiguity, I thought as you did, that the "normal" restrictions included the capacity restriction. But on comparing the two "bullet points" on restrictions under both gear and legendary gear, I became less convinced. Let me explain:

Gear:
Number of gear cards limited by capacity.
Also restricted by maximum numbers of weapons and armour.

Legendary Gear:
Can equip any number of cards from the appropriate class.
Subject to "normal" restrictions on gear (those relating to maximum numbers of weapons and armour).

My current position is that I honestly don't know which is the correct interpretation.

As gear is relatively hard to come by in this game, I really don't think that this is a trivial point or spurious quibble. I know it's my game and I can do what I like, but I know I'd feel very unsatisfied at the end of a campaign if I discovered that I'd been playing "incorrectly".

For now, I guess I'll go with the flow and assume that legendary gear is indeed restricted by capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

Well, the "F" in FAQ stands for "Frequently". This question has been asked once only

True, but it is also my experience that so-called FAQ documents often include "Errata" and "Rule Clarification" sections - especially those from FFG!

... And sometimes, even a section on "Frequently Misinterpreted Rules"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
kfjones wrote:
Idorrac wrote:
Actually I think that the key here is "following normal gear restrictions". I think that includes everything, ...

Yes, this is indeed the key point. When I first discovered this ambiguity, I thought as you did, that the "normal" restrictions included the capacity restriction. But on comparing the two "bullet points" on restrictions under both gear and legendary gear, I became less convinced. Let me explain:

Gear:
Number of gear cards limited by capacity.
Also restricted by maximum numbers of weapons and armour.

Legendary Gear:
Can equip any number of cards from the appropriate class.
Subject to "normal" restrictions on gear (those relating to maximum numbers of weapons and armour).

My current position is that I honestly don't know which is the correct interpretation.

As gear is relatively hard to come by in this game, I really don't think that this is a trivial point or spurious quibble. I know it's my game and I can do what I like, but I know I'd feel very unsatisfied at the end of a campaign if I discovered that I'd been playing "incorrectly".

For now, I guess I'll go with the flow and assume that legendary gear is indeed restricted by capacity.

I see what you mean there. That specification in the parenthesis made the rules a bit ambiguous. I guess a rule clarification in the FAQ would dispel any doubts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed! We certainly aren't going to resolve this by reference to the existing rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
My interpretation would be that this statement

"A hero can equip any number of his legendary gear cards following the normal equip restrictions (one armour, two weapons, and any number of accessories)."

refers to both equip restrictions (number of slots and number of types of gear), but the parenthetical is incomplete. However, this is just based on thematic considerations. The way the rules are written, both your interpretation and mine could be correct.

My 2 cents:
1) If they did intend for legendary gear to follow all the gear restrictions, then simply do not write a paranthetical. Since they did write a paranthetical, and it doesn't mention capacity, then this is a valid question.

2) The rules "patch" they applied because of people abusing depleted gear in playtesting (deplete, discard, claim from discard, lather rinse repeat) was probably not intended to keep a player from claiming a legendary gear if drawn. House rule you can discard depleted gear AND that it stays depleted (in the discard pile) until settlement.

3) If people want to play this way...that the legendary fortune grants you a free gear slot for the legendary gear...then sure why not. The rules are weak in this regard; there is no max gear number given. So if you find all 3 of your legendary and upgrade at the arena 4 times -- Roll into the final quest with EIGHT gear and have some fun. I personally don't think that the rules intend you to be able to do this...

edit--FFG responded to rules questions,about 10 minutes after this post, and advised FAQ will include max 4 gear clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.