Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if this is common or not (probably is) but I have a tendency to get 'bored' of games very quickly. There's 3 "states" of games to me,

1) I love the game and probably won't ever get rid of it. There's maybe 3-4 games I own that fall in this category (Mage Knight, LotR Confrontation, Race for the Galaxy, probably Troyes).

2) I like the game and think I love it but after 2-3 plays I just.. never want to play it again, and slowly ache at the thought of playing it. I usually call these games 8's or 9's or even 10's, but they quickly regress into much worse ratings and get sold off.

3) I hate it and sell it right away (also pretty common).

Part of the appeal of board games to me is there's always something new right around the corner, and I'm noticing I almost prefer playing new games as much as I can rather than playing games I already own (except the "#1" type games above). The #2 games are kind of what upset/frustrate me.

It's kind of problematic because it makes me feel like I wasted my time reading the rules, researching the game, buying/selling it, losing ~30% of my "investment", etc., though I'd be lying if the thrill of playing a NEW game isn't one of my favorite things about the hobby. I feel like learning the game is 75% of the fun but once I "get it down" for some reason I just get bored of it (with a couple of exceptions), which makes me feel bad.

I also find my 'taste' changes almost day to day, like at first I loved everything I tried by Uwe Rosenburg (Agricola, Arle, Loyang) but now all 3 are gone with the wind, got rid of them because I just plain lost interest after 3-4 plays each.

Anyone the same way, or is everyone a game hoarder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games I enjoy take 3-4 plays to familiarize yourself with well, and many more to play them very well. I get dimes out of my games easily, and the primary reason something goes unplayed for a while is playing something else. It all goes in spurts. I notice you have a solo player microbadge, could be the lack of dynamics when playing that is the issue. Real opponents alter that game scape around them and create interesting situations, solo games cannot replicate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
Most of the games I enjoy take 3-4 plays to familiarize yourself with well, and many more to play them very well. I get dimes out of my games easily, and the primary reason something goes unplayed for a while is playing something else. It all goes in spurts. I notice you have a solo player microbadge, could be the lack of dynamics when playing that is the issue. Real opponents alter that game scape around them and create interesting situations, solo games cannot replicate that.

I hear you but I play mostly 2p with my wife - IDK if there's a microbadge for that Solo's just for when she's at work and I'm not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking you defined your problem wrong.
You love learning new games, who doesn't, its exciting but after a few plays you get to the point where you have experienced all the game can offer. Theres no more value in that game. You have a high threshold of excitement to replayability value that many games cannot meet. Thats not a problem just a high expectation that you have that many don't have so high.

Your problem is you budget/spending habits. Possible solutions would be finding alternate ways to learn and get those first few games in. Such as a gaming club or a good FLGS or even your local library. That way you only buy games that will last through the long haul.
Budget is a problem for us all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
You love learning new games, who doesn't, its exciting but after a few plays you get to the point where you have experienced all the game can offer. Theres no more value in that game. You have a high threshold of excitement to replayability value that many games cannot meet. Thats not a problem just a high expectation that you have that many don't have so high.

Your problem is you budget/spending habits. Possible solutions would be finding alternate ways to learn and get those first few games in. Such as a gaming club or a good FLGS or even your local library. That way you only buy games that will last through the long haul.

Bolded part makes sense and I'd agree. I'm not really an impulse spender though and every $ that goes out is in fact, budgeted. IDK if the two (bolded part & budgeting) are necessarily related (now that we're in my head! ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

Bolded part makes sense and I'd agree. I'm not really an impulse spender though and every $ that goes out is in fact, budgeted. IDK if the two (bolded part & budgeting) are necessarily related (now that we're in my head! ).

I'm relating them. I'm not trying to say your budget is out of control, more like disproportionate to what you want it to be. Your complaint of most games not giving you enough of a return. You invest money to get them and time learning them, they should carry you for more than a game or two.
You haven't really talked about your gaming preference but I'd guess you just need some massive games with opponents that can match you.

...I'm rereading this and idk if I'm making much sense, am I helping, or better yet, coherent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think you're onto something. It might be interesting the only game I really LOVE is Mage Knight, which is pretty massive I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmmm.....
The Campaign for North Africa?

more seriously have you looked at any of these:
High Frontier
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
how do you feel about games like warhammer or some of the longer DnD types or wargames?
Ill sell you War and Peace and Rise and Decline of the Third Reich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Your brain gets a buzz from a certain things - especially completion of tasks and things which are new. Learning a game keys that, it kicks of your brains reward centres in exactly the same way exercise or new food or travel do.
There are two ways think about that. One, go with it, you play games for the fun and this is what gives you the buzz so just accept that and don't worry about it. Two, your brain is focusing in on an aspect that is ultimately unhealthy because you never get to enjoy the buzz from exploring depth (I do not actually think this is your problem since you have games you do replay).
If you think its the second try to find some way of 'tricking' your brain. Look for games that give your brain some of the learning buzz but still allow you to replay and explore a game space. Now you could do this with variable set-up games, something like Dominion for example. Or you could do it through a scenario based game where you are playing the same game but learning and solving a new scenario each time. The old GW game Space Hulk is a great example of this - if you played each scenerio once as Space Marine and once as Genestealer you are going to get a dozen games, and actually you usually alternate with your opponent until you have basically solved the scenario for the marines (typically 3-4 games). And lots of wargames would work that way - Combat Commander Europe, for example. Though these tend to be two-player things. In effect this sort of campaign play is what Pandemic Legacy is trying to do (its much less original than its inexperience players think it is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between 5-10 plays is when I really decide a game's worth. If I'm still interested in it after 10 plays, I know it is a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of thoughts here-

Judging by your new user tag, if you are indeed new to the hobby, I would speculate like most, that the excitement of the new doesn't have the same gravity after you have played modern games for a few years, and lots of the elements and mechanisms are not as new and sparkly. Instead games become mashups of familiar ideas, and the best will introduce one or two new mechanisms.

I am cult of the new as ever, but slightly more jaded which leads to.....

Better informed research. I almost never buy a game I don't like because my research is informed and when possible, exhaustive. The more you have played, the easier it is to discern in advance what you might like long term.

And finally - player count. Like seasoning on food, there are so many games that do not "come alive" until you have a minimum of 3, usually 4 players. It can be like wanting to put a dash of salt on your food to bring the flavor out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
hmmmmm.....
The Campaign for North Africa?

more seriously have you looked at any of these:
High Frontier
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
how do you feel about games like warhammer or some of the longer DnD types or wargames?
Ill sell you War and Peace and Rise and Decline of the Third Reich

I'm too dumb for High Frontier. TI3 looks great but I only play 1/2p, need more people. TTA is next on my 'to buy list'. Sorry I haven't heard of those others and don't much like war games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Couple of thoughts here-

Judging by your new user tag, if you are indeed new to the hobby, I would speculate like most, that the excitement of the new doesn't have the same gravity after you have played modern games for a few years, and lots of the elements and mechanisms are not as new and sparkly. Instead games become mashups of familiar ideas, and the best will introduce one or two new mechanisms.

I am cult of the new as ever, but slightly more jaded which leads to.....

Better informed research. I almost never buy a game I don't like because my research is informed and when possible, exhaustive. The more you have played, the easier it is to discern in advance what you might like long term.

And finally - player count. Like seasoning on food, there are so many games that do not "come alive" until you have a minimum of 3, usually 4 players. It can be like wanting to put a dash of salt on your food to bring the flavor out.

I've been in the hobby about 6 months, new to posting to BGG though. I think playing with more then 2 people would be nice sometimes though I don't know anyone interested (in the real world).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games aren't really novel or great in my view, and once you get past the basic novelty of a game's newness this is quickly revealed.

It's probably that you're just not buying great games that also align with your tastes.

The vast majority of games produced each year, in my view, are useful for temporary novelty and not much more. This isn't a bad thing, human beings enjoy novelty, but I think you need to temper your expectations with this in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the same games for decades, I'm not really interested in the cult of the new and research games before I buy.

I enjoy learning games but don't want to constantly churn my collection.

I read the reviews once the novelty value has worn off; buying games on Kickstarter or when new can lead to dissapointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that to be true when I play games online. It's easy to binge-play online--there's nearly always someone to play with. First it was Agricola, then Castles of Burgundy, then Terra Mystica, then Concordia, then Trajan, then ... After several plays, I get bored.

BUT, I still like to play these games face-to-face. Because FTF is just more fun. And, you always have to be flexible as to what you're willing to play. There's NOT always sufficient players available to play a particular game with you FTF.

My game group struggles with the tension between the idea of playing something new vs playing something familiar. Just like picking a restaurant--do you go to the new place in hopes it will be really good but risk it being terrible, or go to your favorite place cuz you know it won't disappoint?

So many games...so little time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you approach your music?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm similar. The fact that I'll play some games hundreds of times, while I'm done with others after one play-- that's fine with me. I like trying new things, so be it.

But what baffles me is the games which I'm excited about after one play, then I enjoy my second play, maybe even a third... and for some reason my interest in playing again drops off to almost zero. That's the one I don't understand. Sounds like it happens to you, too.

I *think*, though I could be wrong, that part of the problem is teaching exhaustion. Sometimes when I'm tired of teaching a game I don't really want to play it, even with somebody who doesn't need teaching. I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With time, I've become a more discerning gamer, which means that I've gradually decreased the number of games I want to buy - I know the niche I like, will get those games, and they might be just a handful a year. Same thing with playing new games - most games I come across in our many boardgaming meetups I just have no desire to play at all, and I tend to stick to playing older games I have and know to enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

With a moderately aged strat I take it. (from an era that certainly is not known for its construction quality, bit of a darker period for Fender)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Funny you ask. I'm much more "picky?" with music, and prefer older 60s/70s stuff. I have played guitar for 10 years though so I suppose I have a ear for what I like if that makes sense. I collect classic records (only thing I collect I guess) and it's one of my main "passions". I don't like much anything after 1995 - so my "cult of the new" behavior doesn't exist in relation to my appreciation of music.

darthain wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

With a moderately aged strat I take it. (from an era that certainly is not known for its construction quality, bit of a darker period for Fender)

You know I've heard that but I love this thing. I think I got one of the diamonds in the rough. I need to re-wire the whole thing though, not looking forward to that

edit: on the 2nd read of your post I appreciated the word play A moderately aged strat and a fuzz face all day!

grasa_total wrote:
I'm similar. The fact that I'll play some games hundreds of times, while I'm done with others after one play-- that's fine with me. I like trying new things, so be it.

But what baffles me is the games which I'm excited about after one play, then I enjoy my second play, maybe even a third... and for some reason my interest in playing again drops off to almost zero. That's the one I don't understand. Sounds like it happens to you, too.

I *think*, though I could be wrong, that part of the problem is teaching exhaustion. Sometimes when I'm tired of teaching a game I don't really want to play it, even with somebody who doesn't need teaching. I think.

I "suffer" that in spades. 50% of the games I rate I call 9s/10s after 1-2 plays like "Wow this game is great" but then the 3rd or 4th plays go by and by the 5th play well, It's already up on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Epee wrote:
With time, I've become a more discerning gamer, which means that I've gradually decreased the number of games I want to buy - I know the niche I like, will get those games, and they might be just a handful a year. Same thing with playing new games - most games I come across in our many boardgaming meetups I just have no desire to play at all, and I tend to stick to playing older games I have and know to enjoy.

Even though I expect most new games not to be great I'm nearly always happy to try them at least once, because you never know, good new things do come out every now and then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:

darthain wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

You know I've heard that but I love this thing. I think I got one of the diamonds in the rough.

There are certainly a few out there. I was not impressed by the one a friend used to play (white, not black, also hard tail) but he seemed to get on with it well. The time period at all had quite a lot of duds is all, but at least you have one you jive with (had a guitar I really jived with die a painful death, fortunately warranty was honored).

I'd give Terra Mystica a shot, if you haven't. That one took a good while to decode and learn to play very well, maybe 30 plays to get confident I was making a good assessment of the game start. Better with 4 than 2, but still great game at 2 (I think). A bit more to learn to read and play around with than most games on the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then allow me to suggest Magic Realm.

It is a massive game, with an enormous learning curve. And, once you learn the rules, you can then start figuring out how to actually survive, and eventually win. Can be played for ages solo, and multiplayer adds depth in so many directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this (for more then it was worth) from a guy who collects guitars. He has well over 100 and makes a living (somehow) buying and selling them. I went to his house to spend some $ a few years ago and fell in love with this one. It's heavy as hell but that's what I like about it. Also beat up as hell but it adds to the charm. My favorite aspect though is the neck, it's so thin I love it.

How'd your guitar die a painful death? I had a friend (new to guitar) who was walking around his room playing and the strap came off and that thing exploded. I showed him strap locks the next day.

I've been interested in TM for awhile but have heard bad things about the 2p usefulness - I never play with more then 2 and if I do it's with super casual people (Love Letter is almost too much for my extended family to deal with). I might give TM a shot.

Quantum_Jack wrote:
Then allow me to suggest Magic Realm.

It is a massive game, with an enormous learning curve. And, once you learn the rules, you can then start figuring out how to actually survive, and eventually win. Can be played for ages solo, and multiplayer adds depth in so many directions.

I've had my figurative nose stuck in the digital version of the rulebook(s) for a few weeks now. Work in progress!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.