Subject: Session - The Running Dead rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
THE RUNNING DEAD

Even in the world’s darkest hours the living needed to be entertained one way or another.

Most of the TV and the radio was off the air, but one single pirate station would broadcast a live event to those lucky enough to be able to receive it.

This was a TV and radio broadcast of “The Running Dead” where it was man, woman or child versus the zombie hoard.

This was a proving ground for new survivors to get the highest kill rate possible before being overcome by the dead while those that watched would wager bets on how long the contestant would last for.

This was a choice for any survivor to try to make it to through the battlefield of entertainment while earning their place in the Running Dead’s Hall of Fame for what they hope would be the highest kill score.

Are you up for the challenge ?

...this scenerio is based on a modification of the City Expansion rules which can be found here ( https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/126815/running-dead-rules... ).

There have been some fixes to the original City Expansion rules and a better system put in place to allow for the expansion of the city. For those that do not know, this is a system that allows you to play Zombicide on city maps that expand and change beyond the players control. They could work out easy, they could send the player to hell.

A new game mode was also added to simply force a single player to survive.

A single player can get helpers if when they enter a building they have a zero spawn on a room, you can then place a random survivor into that room. They start with no weapons as they were cowardly and hiding. The zombies will also target them - but as soon as you enter that room they become "rescued" and you can use them as an additional hero with the only difference being anything they kill does not add to your FINAL SCORE.

This is the hero we were testing, you may know him...

The camera was set, the lights were ready and it was time to play.

Pre-Game
The location was setup as shown by the picture below.

Any further comments that I put in blue italics are reference points for those that are looking at this in conjunction with the rules linked. If your just reading the session info, they'll be pointless so feel free to skip the italics below.

The rear four tiles are the default starting map with randomly placed doors following the guidelines in the rules. The two tiles are the front are from the map generation cycle of the startup phase.

The equipment card face down is the reward that you get when you enter the room that activates creation of new tiles on the map.

The equipment card was originally in the bathroom where the random position was picked. When I had placed the doors I knocked it and only realised after I had taken some photos a few turns in. So, I left it there and played with it in that position. It made zero impact on the gameplay anyway.

The two spawn points shown next to 1B and 5C are correct when you first setup a map. On future map expansions you only pick one spawn point on new and created roads. The maximum number in the beginning is simply to create a little "heat for the player".

The Game Begins
Dredd was rocking on his first turn. His turn was simple, he moved south and busted open the first door on his second turn.

The room spawned a dog in the first room and nothing in the second room that had the equipment card in it. This allowed him to draw a random dashboard for a character to bring into play. This character is currently not seen by the dog in the next room as he is considered hiding.

Dredd them drops south again meaning that the dog will only be able to inflict one damage on him by the time it has got to Dredd's zone.

Now I had a problem. I was playing this game with basically all miniatures as I had been two lazy to sort the decks out, this is why I had a dog on turn one. In the normal rules I would lose the crowbar, but as this was a demo of the wider ruleset.

Version 0.3 of the rules has an updated Wound rule to cover this. It says if you are a single player with no active helper characters in play and carrying only one weapon, on a wound do not discard the weapon if you would have no form of attacking the enemy. This will be present in the next update of the ruleset.

Play continued for a turn or two...

Dredd had a clear run to get to the Troy character and activate him so he had a helper. Entering that room was also the trigger for the city expansion as this is where the face down equipment card was. That turned out to be a Baseball Bat that Dredd gave to Troy.

Tory was now active as well and his search found a hatchet while. The rules also have a searching update where every search you roll a dice. If you land a 6 then the room is permenantly empty from that point onwards.

It was time to expand the city...

Troy's skill bar was fixed on his first kill, this was just in a legacy positon from a prior game.

...the city expanded again to the south so the two northern tiles were removed. The spawn point was removed from 5C and placed at the southern end of the map.

The doors were again randomly placed and the city expansion room with the bonus card was also randomly seleted. This turned out to be the large rectange room.

Note that only one spawn point goes down when you expand the city during gameplay. There were two optional places for the spawn, as the rules say you can pick where it goes so it was placed on the southern most point of the map.

Dredd and Troy where holed up in the two rooms. They did some continued search as play progressed, they need a ranged weapon. The plan was to tool up as the larger room they needed to get to was going to cause a lot of spawns.

They were lucky in getting a pistol that Dredd could us and a rifle that went to Troy, there were a few other objects found as they searched for the above - but between hitting the zombies with melee weapons prior to the guns that is all they could do and hope that they did not land a 6 on searching.

The zombies continued approaching and they were able to shoot them like fish in a barrel for a while.

Soon Dredd got to the Yellow skill where he picked +1 action. This was the Zombie tha died for that skill!

The peg was stupidly put into the +1 max range skill as mentioned below. Originally in this article I said he'd got the +1 max skill, in my mind he did - but it was never used. Only did I use the +1 action. This is what happens when you play Zombicide being tired!!! Thanks to the first poster for pointing this out.

Now was the time to make a move for the next city expansion spawn point.

The battle raged on as we were not at a Yellow spawn level. If felt forever that Dredd and Troy were trying to fight there way out of the building.

Our heroes finally moved out into the street. It was the turn of the zombies. Dredd and Troy were tooled up enough to be able to kill the oncoming storm with melee weapons with good enough dice rolls, it was worth the risk.

The zombies moved in and the heroes were ready...

...that was for anything but an all walkers extra move card!!!

It was game over. Dredd only had one health left because of the dog and Troy was wiped out.

Here is a view of the final city.

Here is our main hero Dredd proudly wearing his Zombicide: Black Plague green base, although dead for what it was worth.

He scored 13 points!

An I happy using these modified rules for the city game - yes absolutely.

This brought a few surprises and a rule fix for the ruleset and beyond anything else - a brillant 40 minutes solo game.

Thanks for reading and for me, this was a sucessful test of Dredds skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
Isaiah 41:10
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed reading this and have downloaded "the running dead" eager to give it a go.

My question is...how were you able to gain an orange level skill set while you were only in yellow? Is that in the new rule set you created?

Thanks for all the work you've put into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
daviddoughty83 wrote:
I enjoyed reading this and have downloaded "the running dead" eager to give it a go.

My question is...how were you able to gain an orange level skill set while you were only in yellow? Is that in the new rule set you created?

Thanks for all the work you've put into this.

...and that my friend is a great call out and a mistake!!!

This is what happens when I played this while tired. I clearly dumped the peg into the wrong hole. The good news and the truth as well, is that this skill was never used. He did use the extra actions while in Yellow, but we never did use the +1 max range.

I am correcting the type on the article that reflects the picture and proundly donate all the GG I got for this article to you.

Thank you for your comments and not pulling it apart because of a tired mistake. Appricahted very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where did you get the "dredd" character card from?...looks good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
tootz wrote:
where did you get the "dredd" character card from?...looks good

Many thanks. I made him with a picture I found on the internet and a rebased Heroclix figure.

You can get him from this thread...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1494877/bp-dashboard-custom...

Here is also a guide for printing out these custom cards...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1496055/zbp-how-print-custo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
Isaiah 41:10
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie57 wrote:

...and that my friend is a great call out and a mistake!!!

This is what happens when I played this while tired. I clearly dumped the peg into the wrong hole. The good news and the truth as well, is that this skill was never used. He did use the extra actions while in Yellow, but we never did use the +1 max range.

I am correcting the type on the article that reflects the picture and proundly donate all the GG I got for this article to you.

Thank you for your comments and not pulling it apart because of a tired mistake. Appricahted very much.

That's kind of you...I have been following a lot of the work you've done and recently just added your BoD4 into the other 3 scenarios you've built into a fan-made survival guide. I will post it in the next day or two when I update this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1427540

I have given you credit on the second to last page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So previously the score table was simple, it was...

Dredd @ 13

...you would have expected these chaps to have easily beaten that...

...and this chap to have made a passing effort...

Today we played three sessions of this, some quicker then others...

Hulk

He started off with a promising start until he went into his first building. He got a "helper" in that Hit-Girl was the random card but alais the beast in the room with the door didn't help things.

He managed to end up with 5 points...

Red Hulk

Now he wanted to show the world that Red was better then Green. You could not have planned it! The final room on the first building he opened...

He ended up with only 4 points!

Union Jack

He had no hope if the Hulk's could not do anything well. The city lay out before him.

Union Jack, the super hero that nobody had ever heard off ( unless you are a die hard Marvell fan ) fought well.

The city had expanded and he went from Blue to Yellow to Orange and still the guns blazed.

Eventually he died, but he had a good score. A score better then most games of Zombicide with few heroes on the board.

Union Jack proudly topped the table with a score of 28. This shows that bigger is not always better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.