Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Ender
United States
East Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, besides the runaway leader effect - does anyone have any experience in the similarities and differences between this and Colossal Arena?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite having extremely similar themes, the games feel pretty different from each other. As you might expect from Reiner Knizia, Colossal Arena is pretty mathy and precise, whereas Cheaty Mages is chaotic and unpredictable. I like both a lot, but I find Cheaty Mages more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
The above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games not only have similar subject matters, the game play is very similar as well. Both are games where players bet that certain monsters are going to win then competitively bid on the ones they want to win.

Cheaty Mages! shoots the idea full of randomness and chaos. It's simple to the point where it can be played with kids. But it's also more of a crap shoot. The chaos often results in a bland and repetitive experience. But when taken in small doses it won't wear out its welcome. If a player gets lucky and pulls into the lead, the system requires the other players to take bigger risks and fight among themselves rather than against the leader.

Colossal arena is more intense and challenging. The iterative betting process makes it so that players must ally with each other. As such the player interaction is much more involved and full of subtleties. There's not so much a problem with run away leaders, but with fall behind losers. The winner will be in doubt, but it will be obvious that one or two players will have no chance. Falling away like this will have more to do with failing to manage your alliances than with the randomness of the game system.

I'll leave it to you to decide which sounds more "fun".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:

There's not so much a problem with run away leaders, but with fall behind losers. The winner will be in doubt, but it will be obvious that one or two players will have no chance.

Yeah, that's still "run away leader"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.