11 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Quick clarifications before tonight's game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Can a PDS with Deep Space Cannon tech shoot through a wormhole?

And am I right in interpreting the Trade Strategy Card as the biggest troll strategy in the entire game?

Round 1) Get 3 Trade Counters, only allow trade agreements with a 1 Trade Counter bribe per player (so, max of 5). Those players can't get anything for those trade agreements until the next Trade action.

Round 2) Threaten to choose option (b) unless you get a 4 Trade Counter bribe (regardless from whom). If you get bribe, choose (a), get a total of 7 Trade Counters. If you are the same player as last round, you now have a whopping 15 Trade Counters.

Am I doin' it right? O_O;;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
Can a PDS with Deep Space Cannon tech shoot through a wormhole?
No

And am I right in interpreting the Trade Strategy Card as the biggest troll strategy in the entire game?

Round 1) Get 3 Trade Counters, only allow trade agreements with a 1 Trade Counter bribe per player (so, max of 5). Those players can't get anything for those trade agreements until the next Trade action.

Round 2) Threaten to choose option (b) unless you get a 4 Trade Counter bribe (regardless from whom). If you get bribe, choose (a), get a total of 7 Trade Counters. If you are the same player as last round, you now have a whopping 15 Trade Counters.
That strategy probably won't end well for you, or at least will set you back for many games into the future.

Am I doin' it right? O_O;;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

You can do this.. on round 1, the first time...
After make sure your fleet is as big as every one else on the map combined..

...IF not you'll be playing from the couch.

Any seasoned group will see what your trying to do and realize your strangling them economically and remove the strangler..you.

TI3 is not so much a war game but is more so a political game. THe moment you cease to be a politician and become an extortionist, you become a threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I didn't mean to say it was a strategically ideal move, just demonstrating how trollish of a card it is, and making sure I understand it completely, by taking it to its most extreme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Galton
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another issue with the trade card strategy you've put forward is that noone actually has any trade goods yet. So until that second round of trade goes through everything promised in the first round and in the round to make you pick A is only so many words.

Words and promises from people you've now poked with a stick twice...

Just to add further detail to the answer provided by Jeff S. Wormhole systems count as adjacent only for movement purposes. So shooting with deepspace cannons, using diplomacy, etc they would not count as adjacent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
galton wrote:
Another issue with the trade card strategy you've put forward is that noone actually has any trade goods yet. So until that second round of trade goes through everything promised in the first round and in the round to make you pick A is only so many words.

So why wouldn't the Trade active player just refuse any trade agreements? The Trade card really feels too one-sided compared to the other strategy cards. First time used, you get 3 trade goods and everybody else gets nothing other than the promise of future wealth, and only if you allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Galton
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:

So why wouldn't the Trade active player just refuse any trade agreements?

Various reason. They may use their advantage as trade baron to strong arm someone into giving them a good trade (value 3 for a value 1 contract). They don't want to piss off the military minded neighbour who wants to have a trade agreement with someone else other than them. They want to be seen as a good guy who helps people and shouldn't be attacked.

Really how trade goes is based on the group itself. Our group is pretty easy going with trade agreements. Generally a promise of 1 TG or a good contract is enough to let them float everyone through. Some are more cutthroat and trade is very rare and quickly broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group is so deep into back stabbing and troll moves, you would be welcome at our table. devil But don't be surprised, when the guy who took warfare repeatedly is bombing your home planet on turn 3. So now you don't pick trade, you take warfare to make sure he doesn't. And the trolling doesn't happen. The picking of the strategy cards is very important to limit things like this.

So, depends on the group and how quick it learns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Refusing trade may work short term...

but good player will make sure they get the best deal... limiting those who have natural advantages.

I have played where only I and 2 other people got trades... it pisses people off and I don't think its enough to win a game or even give that large of an advantage. The next round someone else will take trade and put up all the other agreements.

Also all the other player can refuse to trade with you... then no one loses, and Hacan is gonna do what they want anyway. I would not call monopolizing trade a winning strategy and it gets even weaker late game when people have to fight over objectives anyway.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
So another quick question after last night's game: can you just give a planet to another player by just handing them the card (and scuttling any units already on the planet)?

Also, am I correct in thinking that enemy ship units in the same sector MUST space battle, but ships moving through a sector with enemy ground troops and PDS can choose whether they fight or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
So another quick question after last night's game: can you just give a planet to another player by just handing them the card (and scuttling any units already on the planet)?

No.

Quote:
Also, am I correct in thinking that enemy ship units in the same sector MUST space battle, but ships moving through a sector with enemy ground troops and PDS can choose whether they fight or not?

Yes to the first part; you can never have ships belonging to two different players in the same system - if it happens, they must fight.

For Ground Forces and PDS, though, they only fight if you land on the planet. If you just have ships in space, or just fly through, the GFs and PDS units don't do anything (well, the PDS units might shoot at you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.