Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Mega Civilization» Forums » Variants

Subject: Using other civs than the recommended for certain numbers of players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife looked at the suggested setups and was disappointed of the fact that the Celts were only in 9+ player games. When I'm looking at the boards, it seems like it would be possible to make a few changes to the recommended setups and still maintain a good balance, specifically as follows:
6p West: Remove Carthage (and African parts of Iberia) and add Celts
7p East: Remove Kushan & Indus and add Assyria & Egypt
10p West: Remove Hellas & Minoa to make an 8p East game. Alt, remove Parthia & Persia to make an 8p West game.
11p East: Remove Dravidia and add Hatti
12p: Remove Nubia & Parthia and add Ibera & Celts (Egypt & Hatti would become East in this setup)
15p: Remove Indus (or Kushan) and add Celts
17p: Remove Dravidia and add Celts

@the designers: When playtesting, did you try other variants than the ones in the rulebook? Somehow it feels like they were chosen to make sure that there were one East setup and one West setup for each number (up to 9p), but that other combinations would be possible, esp with fewer players. I intend to try the 6-player variant if we happen to be 6 players sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about this as well and asked Flo too.

Here are the nations I found which should be togheter:

Quote:
From looking at the different player counts, I have the feeling that Rome&Carthage should always be togheter in the game or not at all. Same goes for Assyria/Egypt and Mauryia/Dravidyia.

As I suppose it won't bother Flo, I will post his answer here:

Quote:
Some setups are better than others of course. But we tested all and found out our options are the best in our opinion.

Of course you can try a different setup for a certain amount of players. Sometimes there are more than one good option.

We know Minoa and Hellas should always be together.

I dare you to come up with a better option than we did, play it 5 times and tell us your findings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
hakko504 wrote:

@the designers: When playtesting, did you try other variants than the ones in the rulebook? Somehow it feels like they were chosen to make sure that there were one East setup and one West setup for each number (up to 9p), but that other combinations would be possible, esp with fewer players. I intend to try the 6-player variant if we happen to be 6 players sometime.

To add to what has been said:

Multiple variations were tried however we didn't try ALL of them... it was already a beast playing so many multiplayer games for testing.

So with that said some of your combos might work. Report your findings back here. If enough different groups tell us that a specific combination works it would be good for the community to know they have even more options! It's unlikely we will make them official unless we have time to test them ourselves but who knows...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we were playing with the CivProject map, our group used a more free-form setup for picking the Civs.

1. Determine the order in which players will choose civilizations (MegaCiv comes with numbered cards for this purpose).
2. The first player may choose any of the 18 civilizations.
3. The second player may choose any civilization bordering the first player's choice.
4. From the third player onward, each player may choose any civilization that shares a border with at least 2 other civilizations that have already been chosen.
5. The western map does not balance well if either Minoa or Hellas are in play without the other. If either Minoa or Hellas are chosen, the other must be selected by a later player. If noone has claimed it by the time the final player chooses, that player must take the other part of the pairing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What John says!

For some player-counts there may be various options, even options you might prefer above our tested ones. We chose to give you only one option (West or East) for each number in the rulebook, which we tested well, also based on failed setups. We think our setups are the best choice.

Feel free to try other options yourself. Be aware sometimes that might turn out to be a failure that takes you quite some hours to realise. Nevertheless testing different setups can be fun a well.

When it comes to the two 5-player options. I believe the smaller groups (with a smaller table) prefer a single-panel setup anyway. That is impossible for a 6-player setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks all who replied, you've more or less confirmed what I suspected.
Velusion wrote:
Multiple variations were tried however we didn't try ALL of them... it was already a beast playing so many multiplayer games for testing.
I admire your work on playtesting this beast.

Flodehaan wrote:
For some player-counts there may be various options, even options you might prefer above our tested ones. We chose to give you only one option (West or East) for each number in the rulebook, which we tested well, also based on failed setups. We think our setups are the best choice.

Out of curiosity, do you have an example of a setup you thought would work, but turned out not to?
Flodehaan wrote:
Feel free to try other options yourself. Be aware sometimes that might turn out to be a failure that takes you quite some hours to realise. Nevertheless testing different setups can be fun a well.

I probably won't play many of these variants I suggested - I'm gonna be a very happy man if I play the game once a year, and I suspect that it's mostly gonna be either a 5-player game or we'll try to get a big group together (12+ players, just to make sure we're using both east & west sets of cards. I will try the 6 player variant if we do play a 6 player game, just to please the wife's curiosity with the Celts.

Flodehaan wrote:
When it comes to the two 5-player options. I believe the smaller groups (with a smaller table) prefer a single-panel setup anyway. That is impossible for a 6-player setup.
Agree, wouldn't dream of going away from a single panel setup for 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, eight player games including Celt, but without Iberia...
Leaving out Celt is our best option.

Any option with Hellas or Minoa without the other one didn't work.

We also tried a full east setup on a non-9player east game, but it's better to leave out Dravidia and Maurya first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.