Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Speculation on how, or if, new gates will be added in future expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have spent some time thinking about the possibility of more gates being added to the gate stack. I have come to 3 possible conclusions...

1. No more gates will be added.

2. Gates will be added with specific numbered spaces. This seems unlikely though, considering there are just so many random spaces. If a gate was released for each numbered space it would really take away from the likelihood of a gate landing on a named space.

3. This is an idea I thought of that I believe would work very nicely! They could add a few gates to the stack that are basically question mark (?) gates. These gates would need to have a question mark along with a picture of either a city, wilderness, or sea on it. When one of these gates are drawn, the investigators would draw clues until they draw one that matches the space type listed on the gate (city, wilderness, or sea). Keep in mind that the gate could not land on a named city or wilderness. It must be a random NUMBERED space.

You may ask, why can't the gate just have a question mark and simply be a random draw of a clue? Well, this will not work due to the fact that there would be a high chance of gates overlapping on spaces. For example, if a gate is already out on the Rome space, and then you draw a random gate with a Rome clue, you would have 2 gates on the same space. Also, the reverse of this... you draw a random rome gate, and then you draw the actual Rome gate from the stack.

...So what do you guys think? Do you think more gates will be added? Do you like my 3rd idea? Do you have any ideas on adding gates that I have not listed?

I look forward to reading your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mountain of madness already have new gates, so It is possible.
Side board can definitely add them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably go for option 1. I don't think the game will have more gates.
Exception is obviously gates for possible new sideboards. Or maybe they come up with a completely new mechanic that places gates... on the omen track!! ...or something^^

?-Gates I find rather cumbersome and fiddly. I'd be surprised if they'd go that route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They might possibly try to add some gate-events or gate-equivalents.

Those would reside in the gate stack, with the same back. But the front could feature short text, like:
"Trigger a monster surge on every gate on the board."
"Advance doom by 1 for every gate on the board"
"Spawn a Devouring Gate Epic Monster on a random space."

Then the token would be discarded after resolving the effect.

The random gate could also be implemented like this. "Spawn this gate on a random space."

I doubt any of this, but I also doubt they won't try to add something to the gate stack. Soo... I'm curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Great thoughts here everyone. Several great ideas have been mentioned that I never would have thought of. I guess we will find out in the next couple of years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how likely but they might start duplicating gates but with different omen icons.

Then special rules can be added to account for what happens when two gates overlap. Perhaps a gate burst (homage to Arkham Horror)?

Could be that you instantly increase doom, cause a gate surge at that location and draw 1 more gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Then special rules can be added to account for what happens when two gates overlap.
This game doesn't need any additional rules for this case.

Look at the clue tokens. Organically, each can only appear on a single space.
But some effects may move a token or spawn it elsewhere.
This weekend we had three clue tokens on one space. It doesn't change anything.

In the same way you can have any number of gate tokens on one space.
No game effect at this time (as far as I know) creates such situation. But if/when FFG decides to publish some, the game is fully prepared for that.

Edit:
And there's a thematic explanation for that.
In Arkham Horror the game stage was a single city. Locations were small. When a gate opened in a building it pulled in everything, including the investigators. And when another gate "tried to appear" in the same building, it was too close and instead an interference occured that increased gate activity - a monster surge.

In Eldritch Horror locations are large. There can be many gates opened in a single city, just as there could be many gates in a single city in AH.
Also, the gate doesn't pull you in because you're not necessarily close to it - it's just somewhere in the same city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.