Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan Holman
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group just got a copy of Zombicide: Black Plague and we're loving it.
On of the members now wants to explore the previous Zombicide games (he loves the modern theme and characters).

Is there any sort of consensus on which season is the best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if there's a consensus, but as someone who owns all three seasons, I'd recommend starting with Season 3: Rue Morgue. Why?

1. Twelve Survivors, unlike the six of previous seasons. Gives you team variety right off the bat without additional purchases.

2. Two teams of Survivors lets you play competitive Z-cide if you like.

3. Nice variety of equipment with fewer "dead" cards than Season 1. Mind, they added more "Arggh!" cards, so the chance of getting ambushed by a zombie while Searching has gone up.

4. Good scenarios and good map tiles. MY problem with S2 (even though I like the new Equipment cards and Berzerker zombies) is that the Prison tiles lend themselves to easily "gamed" scenarios. Basically, scenarios where you win by an exploit instead of cleverness or skill.

If you do like Z-cide enough to invest further, after S3, I'd suggest S1 and Toxic City Mall. With S1 you can use the huge amount of fan-made scenarios at the official website. Toxic City Mall adds Toxic Zombies, new equipment cards, Mall tiles, and twelve scenarios using TCM with either S1 or S2. Only after that would I suggest S2.

loganholman wrote:
My gaming group just got a copy of Zombicide: Black Plague and we're loving it.
On of the members now wants to explore the previous Zombicide games (he loves the modern theme and characters).

Is there any sort of consensus on which season is the best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancestral Hamster wrote:

3. Nice variety of equipment with fewer "dead" cards than Season 1. Mind, they added more "Arggh!" cards, so the chance of getting ambushed by a zombie while Searching has gone up.

It's funny how people's mileage varies so much with different aspects of the game. I'm assuming by dead cards, you mean stuff like the Food and Water cards. I wish that Rue Morgue had included new ones, and that there were more non-weapon cards available in the game. In most of the missions I play, each survivor finding wood or water is a requirement, and I like the desperate search to get needed supplies and get out before being overwhelmed by the hoard. More dead cards makes the search even more tense, so I've added pans to the search deck, just so sometimes folks find something completely useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haheho joker
msg tools
mb
Season 1 if you want to further introduce to new players. It is the simplest but does not lack depth. It can give new players an easier time to have fun without memorizing all the details. Season 1 also have the most official and custom missions available so you can kill a lot of time just by season 1.

Season 2 if you like very thematic games. Those switches and sliding doors give you a feel of watching a zombie action movie, but these features might sometimes break a game since you can cheese it by the classic "block zombies and keep searching until you find a Molotov/concrete saw" method. It also encourage melee combat so guns are pretty much useless. However the equipment deck itself is the most balance among all season IMO.

Season 3 is a more complicated season 1. It is basically a season 1 with revised rules and features. The main point of season 3 is being unpredictable, with crawlers and new spawn mechanics and so on. So if you like tension games or if you like more content in one box, season 3 is your choice. However IMO the equipment deck in season 3 is not that balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haheho joker
msg tools
mb
Coyotenomad wrote:
Ancestral Hamster wrote:

It's funny how people's mileage varies so much with different aspects of the game. I'm assuming by dead cards, you mean stuff like the Food and Water cards. I wish that Rue Morgue had included new ones, and that there were more non-weapon cards available in the game. In most of the missions I play, each survivor finding wood or water is a requirement, and I like the desperate search to get needed supplies and get out before being overwhelmed by the hoard. More dead cards makes the search even more tense, so I've added pans to the search deck, just so sometimes folks find something completely useless.

I guess they remove all junks because in Rue Morgue you cannot search in hospitals. But then not all missions start in hospitals, so their purpose becomes a bit pointless...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Allen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
As a newbie, do you require the original (or Black Plague) in order to play the other two seasons? I'm weighing up which version to go for.

haheho_joker wrote:
Season 1 if you want to further introduce to new players. It is the simplest but does not lack depth. It can give new players an easier time to have fun without memorizing all the details. Season 1 also have the most official and custom missions available so you can kill a lot of time just by season 1.

Season 2 if you like very thematic games. Those switches and sliding doors give you a feel of watching a zombie action movie, but these features might sometimes break a game since you can cheese it by the classic "block zombies and keep searching until you find a Molotov/concrete saw" method. It also encourage melee combat so guns are pretty much useless. However the equipment deck itself is the most balance among all season IMO.

Season 3 is a more complicated season 1. It is basically a season 1 with revised rules and features. The main point of season 3 is being unpredictable, with crawlers and new spawn mechanics and so on. So if you like tension games or if you like more content in one box, season 3 is your choice. However IMO the equipment deck in season 3 is not that balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Raps
Netherlands
Vlijmen
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
disconnectdisconnect wrote:
As a newbie, do you require the original (or Black Plague) in order to play the other two seasons? I'm weighing up which version to go for.

No. Each season is a stand-alone game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancestral Hamster wrote:
I'd recommend starting with Season 3: Rue Morgue.

I played the original, bought S2 & S3 during the KS. Of all the stuff, I've only kept S3: Rue Morgue.

S3 cleans up S1, addressing all of the issues of S1:
- 12 survivors for more variety
- scalable games from 6-12 Survivors
- Crawlers to keep players on their toes
- good tile mix

I see S2 as more of a Zombicide puzzle game, more abstract strategic than immediate tactical. I vastly prefer S3 to S2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.