Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan Holman
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group just got a copy of Zombicide: Black Plague and we're loving it.
On of the members now wants to explore the previous Zombicide games (he loves the modern theme and characters).

Is there any sort of consensus on which season is the best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I've played both and I prefer the modern theme but I still think Black Plague is the better game.

If you had to, pick up season 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loganholman wrote:
My gaming group just got a copy of Zombicide: Black Plague and we're loving it.
On of the members now wants to explore the previous Zombicide games (he loves the modern theme and characters).

Is there any sort of consensus on which season is the best?

"Best" is subjective as the later seasons added more bling but also more rules to go with it. The relative simplicity of Season 1 appeals to me and is the ideal route in to learn the game in my view. But as Black Plague has been your reference point I would dip straight in at Season 3. You may find Season 1 feels like a backwards step from Black Plague in terms of detail and rules maturity.

But if I'm honest I'd say buy the lot, that's what I did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan T
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the only thing I believe there is a consensus about is that the tiles from season 1 are the best ones. They are however possible to get with an extra tile pack.

My recommendation for buying order:
Season 2+tiles from season 1
Toxic city mall
Extra survivor pack from someones Season 3 Kickstarter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Flander
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for Season 3 with Angry Neighbors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd read closely and do some research before making any purchase.

I was thinking the same way about getting the original but a lot of posts comment on how BP is cleaner (better rules), has the nice dashboards and remember, there is another KS shipment on the way with more survivors, etc. (Assuming you have the KS version)

Plus, I don't want / need the temptation of dropping $50 or so on an exclusive. And then two...three...

Obviously up to him but my decision, when I went down the same path is to stick with BP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Season 2 was a lot better than season 1. Season 2 had berserker zombies, which added a whole new set of zombies to your game.

Season 3 added skinner zombies but, although I never played that version, skinner zombies looked less fun than berserker zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have modern Zombicide, only BP. But I'm also reading a lot of modern Zombicide players are retro-fitting BP rules to modern?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gampie wrote:
Season 3 added skinner zombies but, although I never played that version, skinner zombies looked less fun than berserker zombies.

They why comment if you haven't tried it? For me, skinner zombies are the most fun of them all. Season 3 also has better maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Season 3 started to streamline the rules a little. I recommend it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Weber
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there can't be a real consensus about which season is "the best" as they all have their pros and cons.

Season 1: The "vanilla" Zombicide with a generic urban setting. The rules are more simple than following seasons so it's good for beginners. On the other hand it has less variety. Most of the scenarios you find online are based on this season so you get a lot of extra missions for free.

Season 2: The only season that has 2 different zombie breeds, the standard as well as the berserker zombies. The prison setting is less generic than season 1. Many people think the tiles/missions are not as good as those of the other seasons.

Season 3: Also has an interesting setting with the hospitals and camps. There are several new rules which add variety (tents and a helicopter instead of the cars of previous seasons). There is only 1 zombie breed but it is more interesting than the standard zombies. The box comes with 12 survivors instead of 6 so you could actually play this with up to 12 players. The slightly modified spawning system makes it easy to scale difficulty for different numbers of survivors. You also get (optional) team actions and a PvP mode that make use of the higher number of survivors.

My opinion: I like Season 2 least of all because its only real advantage compared to other seasons is the extra zombie type and you can still get the berserkers as an addon for the other seasons if you want them. So I would get Season 1 if you want a simple / straight forward game with many free online missions and Season 3 if you want a slightly more complex game with an additional pvp mode (or play with more than 6 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Baker
United Kingdom
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are able to 'wait and see', I wouldn't be surprised if CMON release an updated/new version of the modern Zombicide, with updated rules and the consoles to place the cards (apparently the current modern day Zombicide character cards are a different size to the Black Plague ones and so do not work with the Black Plague consoles). I should say that I have not played any Zombicide as yet but have late pledged the Black Plague Kickstarter and awaiting delivery sometime in the future (hopefully without warped tiles). Of course it may be several months at least before another release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.