(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my tenth play of this wonderful game. Even if neither I nor my opponent are really any good at it, we tremendously enjoy the narrative of this game every time. I suppose it's indicative of our way of playing that we've never managed a FP victory by getting rid of the Ring (I did come close once out of five, failing on the penultimate step of Mt Doom).

In this session I play as Sauron, here is a short report from that perspective. I never put in more than one Eye die in the hunt pool on purpose, as the FP never really trust Frodo to do anything useful, as you'll see.

Turn 1 (4 Eyes)

I play Threat and Promises, which prompts the Free People to split the Fellowship immediately: Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli and Legolas head straight to the south from Rivendell towards Orthanc. Sauron and Isengard end the turn at war.

Turn 2 (2 Eyes)

Saruman enters play and recruits nicely, while Aragorn makes it to Edoras and Legolas backs off to Lorien.

Turn 3 (2 Eyes)

I recruit four Nazgul, amass them in front of Osgiliath with the army from Minas Morgul and... "Dreadfull Spells" empties Osgiliath just as Aragorn gets crowned.

Turn 4 (2 Eyes)

The game probably turns here: I cannot believe my Eye as I see that the Free People simply let us move into Osigilath with 10 units (two elites) and four Nazgul and the Witch King. The FP are still busy celebrating Aragorn's coronation I guess. While I was not too happy to see this false king put a new die into play, I'm very pleased that the failure of Faramir to protect Osgiliath pays off, well, for me. Denethor's got the truth of it, that Faramir is not worthy of his brother !
On the western front, Saruman is busy recruiting heavily (I'm a bit afraid of those strange noises in Fangorn, where Legolas has been seen talking to trees) and taking the Fords of the Isen.
Oh and Frodo finally gets off the couch of Rivendell and moves for the first time.

Turn 5 (3 Eyes)

From Osgiliath I find it's a nice walk to Minas Tirith, where Aragorn and Boromir have been recruiting, preparing for the siege. But the Witch King's army force them into a three turn siege (thanks to a card), from which he'll emerge victorious. At a cost of a single dice (and four cards) it was well worth it, but the Witch King is left with only three units and the Nazguls.
In the meantime, Frodo's got caught moving on the High Pass but hides away, never to move again.

Turn 6 (1 Eye, yes !)

Time for me to recruit massively again, the Fellowship manages two moves but gets revealed again, at the Old Ford this time - Gandalf sacrifices himself as the FP prepare his return.

Turn 7 (1 Eye - yes, this is going to hurt)

The Rohanian guard (3 or 4 hit points worth of units) hide in Helm's Deep as Saruman's troups press on (with 6 elites and a normal unit), but -again- I can force a three turn siege with a card and send Gimli and his few companions to an early visit their ancestors. Even if this comes at a high cost (I'm left with a single Elite), these two points are well worth it, there isn't much of anyone left in Rohan, except for Edoras.
With this many dice, I even find the time to turn to Lorien with Saruman's northern army which picks up most of the Moria recruits on the way, the Elves go into siege as well. The only bad news is that the two Gondorian units left at Pelargir take Osigiliath where I had a single unit left.

Turn 8 (5 Eyes - oops, time for me to worry)

The Free People manage to move their remaining Rohan army to Osgiliath unseen (damn card ) and rush to Minas Morgul which they actually manage to take in spite of a little reserve I'd left there. Caught off guard, yes, I do break a bit of a sweat and recruit in extremis at the Morannon, which costs me that precious ring the Free People had let me have to get this far into my realm.

Turn 9 (1 Eye)

The Southrons and Easterlings go to war, as does the North. As it's left free, I move into Edoras for an easy 6th point, the same fate befalls Pelargir. In the meantime a White Wizard is seen in Rivendell.

Turn 10 (3 Eyes)

Lorien Falls in two turns, the score is 8-2.
Gandalf the White goes to Ered Luin and convinces the Dwarves to enter War as well, the north gets busy with a heavy threat on Angmar. I'm a bit on the edge as Tom Bombadil keeps me from using the short route from Dol Amroth through the Old Forest Road to storm the Woodland Realm, but I manage to recruit enough to buy some time in Angmar. I also move from Lorien to Moria, where I've also recruited.

Turn 11 (3 Eyes)

The Moria army moves towards Rivendell, which is almost empty. I'll win the siege there instead of landing my Southron army on the Gondorian Coast, where I'd planned to crush the last obstacle in my path.

Final score 10-2.

I know this is not a very thorough report, but any insight into obvious blunders would be useful anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did spot something:

Turn 10 - Tom Bomabadil does not stop you going through the Old Forest Road, he protects the similarly named Old Forest region which is in the North-west next to the shire. Easy mistake to make, that I have made in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, thanks for spotting that !

At least it wasn't a late game mistake, in the sense that he was there early on (maybe turn 3 or 4) and I adapted my play accordingly. A much better fit thematically, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.