Subject: Something similar? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I run a board game club at the secondary school I work at. It's been a great pleasure introducing the students to the world of board games and hopefully they'll continue to enjoy this hobby into adulthood.

I have fond memories of Sorcerer's Cave when I too was at school. I vividly remember playing it with enthusiasm while the supervising teacher was playing around with the new green screen BBC computer (Chucky Egg was the game he was playing if I remember rightly).

Anyhow, I was hoping to introduce the game to my students who are avid players of Carcassonne, Coup, Zombies, Syndicate, Dixit, DD RPG's, Villa Palettti, Loot, Uno, Munchkins, Saboteur, - to give you a flavour of what we play. Unfortunately, the game is out of print and it is prohibitively expensive on E-bay.

Are there any similar games you would recommend?

My students are mostly ASD with low literacy and numeracy scores nevertheless they have boundless enthusiasm and razor-sharp wit.

Games should be around the 30 - 40 minute game length as our break is only 50 minutes. Though we can leave games hanging if it's particularly good. No fiddly bits please or lots of text. Just like Sorcerer's Cave: straight in and rolling dice!

Kind regards

Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jonathan

The game you are probably looking for is "Caverns" - see the website here: http://www.beholder.co.uk/caverns/. The developer clearly acknowledges The Sorcerer's Cave as inspiration (http://www.beholder.co.uk/caverns/#history), but points out that his design went in a different direction.

What I like about this is the open-source hackish approach of "take this and make something good that works for *you*" and I hope that you would appreciate this too!

EDIT: I see you are looking for a 30 minute game which is a little ambitious for an decent Dungeon-quest type of game, unless you are happy with something like Saboteur (compilation editions). The designer says "Caverns" is fairly quick although an unusually long game could run into the best part of an hour, you’re all taking turns fairly rapidly. - so maybe you can run a game over two sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this! I read that page years ago, but it was just a description of the game then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
Thanks for this! I read that page years ago, but it was just a description of the game then.

Yes, he says as much. Lots of people coming to the site and basically wanting a game that they could print-n-play.

A side-side-project that I started (not much progress..) a while back was to try and create a set of hex-tiles for playing this (just to make an alternative to The Sorcerer's Cave 4-sided tiles). Any interest in that??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something like Drakon (fourth edition) would fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.