Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried to play a solo game on a random map to learn the rules after having read them and watched some videos.
Used the mission "Get some rack time" to locate and destroy an objective.
As expected the correct objective was the last one revealed.
Until the B&C, I only encountered workers and employees and only 1 secfor 1.
(from the event deck analysis, most of cards only reveal employees when security level is 0). I captured every single employees so that they would not increase the security level, killed the secfor 1 which did not raise security level after having rolled no burst on the LD8.
Basically I reached B&C having cleared the board of almost all agents except 1 going in circle in a room, and the security level was 0 all the way.

from the event deck I guess that once security level is 2 or higher, agents will most likely turn into secfor or secfor will spawn.

So my questions are:
1. Is it normal that I managed to keep security level to 0 all the way ? did I miss a trigger for increasing the level?
From the rules: security level increases on CD disk 1, on bursts rolled for killed opfor, or escaped employees
2. Is it normal that I managed to clear the board of agents? any agents spawning rules that I missed ?
3. what is the number of movement of worker ? it is not on the token and there is no card. I played 2.
4. Another mission "the code" requires to locate and secure the data center. What does that mean? the data center is a tile not an objective and it may not even be on a randomly generated map.

P.S: I am quite a veteran of boardgames now, and I found this rule book confusing due to layout mostly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heishiro1976 wrote:
Tried to play a solo game on a random map to learn the rules after having read them and watched some videos.
Used the mission "Get some rack time" to locate and destroy an objective.
As expected the correct objective was the last one revealed.
Until the B&C, I only encountered workers and employees and only 1 secfor 1.
(from the event deck analysis, most of cards only reveal employees when security level is 0). I captured every single employees so that they would not increase the security level, killed the secfor 1 which did not raise security level after having rolled no burst on the LD8.
Basically I reached B&C having cleared the board of almost all agents except 1 going in circle in a room, and the security level was 0 all the way.

from the event deck I guess that once security level is 2 or higher, agents will most likely turn into secfor or secfor will spawn.

So my questions are:
1. Is it normal that I managed to keep security level to 0 all the way ? did I miss a trigger for increasing the level?
From the rules: security level increases on CD disk 1, on bursts rolled for killed opfor, or escaped employees
2. Is it normal that I managed to clear the board of agents? any agents spawning rules that I missed ?
3. what is the number of movement of worker ? it is not on the token and there is no card. I played 2.
4. Another mission "the code" requires to locate and secure the data center. What does that mean? the data center is a tile not an objective and it may not even be on a randomly generated map.

P.S: I am quite a veteran of boardgames now, and I found this rule book confusing due to layout mostly.

1. I'd say you were very very lucky in the Event Card resolution phase to get mostly employees and only 1 SecFor. Yes, you are right. Each burst rolled increases the Security Track by 1 number.

But no, it's not normal to have it at zero through the entire game. If you completed your Breach and Clear, the Immediate Consequences rule would have automatically increased your Security Track by one entire LEVEL (not number). So your minimum Security Track Level would have been at Level 1 after your B&C. Then you still need to continue drawing a Movement Card even after your B&C is over, on the OpFor Phase.

2. Did you work your way down the entire Movement Card? You also need to draw Movement cards even when there's no agent discs on the board because sometimes there are penalties for having no Agent Discs of a certain colour on the board.

3. So did I It's reasonable, though, as the other employee movement is also 2.

4. "The Code". Looks like you were playing Counter Threat. I've only played using the cards in Assassination Protocol, and I haven't even opened the card deck yet for Counter Threat, so I can't tell you for sure. (unless you let me know what he text on the mission card says). Most of the Missions involve you randomising one of the 6 green objective tokens and placing them in Named Rooms.

I think except for your not increasing the Security Track after your B&C, it looks like you got most of the game right.

But do read my session report and Unofficial FAQ as well over at the Assassination Protocol forums, since Brian Shotton did clear up some things that weren't clear in the rules there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in security level 0 only until B&C then I lost the B&C (i think coz the rules are also a bit difficult to absorb) as i could not destroy the objective with collateral damage

As to "the code" the objective 1 only states "locate and secure the data center", which B&C rules for data center.
So my guess is that i just need to go there and B&C. I will ask questions about missions in other threads.

Maybe i was just lucky with the draw. I'll try again same scenario on different map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heishiro1976 wrote:
I was in security level 0 only until B&C then I lost the B&C (i think coz the rules are also a bit difficult to absorb) as i could not destroy the objective with collateral damage

Yes. If you've lost the B&C, you've basically lost the game.

If you're not sure of how a B&C goes, check out my session report

Heishiro1976 wrote:
As to "the code" the objective 1 only states "locate and secure the data center", which B&C rules for data center.
So my guess is that i just need to go there and B&C. I will ask questions about missions in other threads.

Interesting. Normally there's an objective counter placed on the Objective Slot on the B&C tile. Oh, well. Then again, I've not looked at all the mission cards.

Heishiro1976 wrote:
Maybe i was just lucky with the draw. I'll try again same scenario on different map.

I definitely think you were very lucky to only get one SecFor your entire game

Now you make me wanna get out my game and play another round of MERCS Recon again ... maybe I'll try the KemVar next
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you lose a B&C, all MERCS involved are killed, unless it is the B&C involved in the objective - then it's game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.