Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy! My team and I are currently working with our manufacturer selecting materials and such, finessing our quote, and working towards setting the kickstarter goal for Giga-Robo!.

The materials we currently have in place are:

•Ivory-core cardstock for every card
•2.5mm matte punchboard (for terrain, tokens, and player dashboards)
•2.5mm double-sided game map
•ABS plastic injection molded miniatures
•18mm Standard compressed resin dice, including opaque and transparent colors

Every component will be heavily handled by players, as the game has hand-building, miniature combat with destructible terrain, and dice-rolling. The question for everyone is what components do you typically feel should be given a premium treatment? For some player insight, our closed beta group has said that the dashboard and miniatures are the top 2 priorities, while convention playtesters have said cards and miniatures.

For alternatives, here are some example materials we could switch to that would affect the quote:

•Blue-core cardstock for every card
•1 or 1.5mm matte punchboard
•1.5mm double-sided game map
•PVC plastic injection molded miniatures (think the same quality as Reaper Bones minis)
•16mm Standard compressed resin dice, all opaque colors

Also, any insight into what components you prioritize for premium treatment in your own designs would be really helpful as well. Thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
and Tentacles
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go blue core for the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Growing old is mandatory but growing UP is optional!
badge
Tabletop Game News, Reviews, Sales, Design and Publishing. Visit us at www.iwillnevergrowup.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue or black core cards, or for premium premium, plastic.
Pvc plastic minis over abs.
2 to 2.5mm punchboard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egor Kaparulin
msg tools
I'd go with:
1.5 mm punchboard
16 mm dice
blue-core cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
blue core cards would be fine
16mm dice are pretty standard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Rodriguez Samaniego
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
2.5mm for the punchboard and the game map looks like a bit too much, you could go down to 2mm or 1.7mm and it would be fine.

If you can upgrade something, then definitely heed the playtester's call: minis and cards attract all the attention and are the most used parts (I'm not very familiar with your game though, might be wrong?), so I would try to have those at the best quality possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.