Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else have miscut coins? My 1-value coins are different sizes - there was one row of them that is much bigger than all of the rest. It isn't a big deal as I will be replacing them with actual South African coins, but I was just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I assume they set the dies for $5 coins and then realised they didn't need that many $5s but needed more $1s.

I've been using the oversized ones as the Book Bonus coins. They fit perfectly on the spots!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they intentionally made the $1 coins for the Book row larger than the other $1 coins. It does feel a bit strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tan
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
Selangor D.E
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there is a row of 1 pound coins larger than the other coins. But if you count there are 12 of them. So you could use them to cover the round track above the book display. They fit perfectly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Definitely an odd production choice (assuming it's not an outright error). But as others have said, set them aside and use them for the book display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an error....

those coins are to be used in the Book display 2 coins for each round after the first round, so 6 rounds x 2= 12 coins... those coins are bigger to fit the display on the board and you aren't supposed to used them as money...

when you pick a book that has one of those coins bellow them, return that coin to the box and get one of the normal size coins from the supply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I see now. Thanks, all. I agree that it is a weird design decision when they could have just made the board slot the size of the 1-coins. No matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
when you pick a book that has one of those coins bellow them, return that coin to the box and get one of the normal size coins from the supply!

I guess I don't understand why you'd do this. Why not just take the coin and use it like any other 1 coin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

I guess I don't understand why you'd do this. Why not just take the coin and use it like any other 1 coin?

I don't say it's necessary to do it... It's just for those ocd people that find the size difference intolerable.

I use them has coins when I get them from the books, i just provided the explanation of why there are 2 different sizes of coins in the game and a solution for people that can't deal with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easily my biggest complaint about the game. Which is to say, big fan of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point ... we didn't bother, thinking it's just some faulty production. But sure makes sense this way, didn't even count the "misprinted" ones ...
And what a marvelous game it is! One of the two or three games that knock me out each year, among those many, many (too many) very good ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffi
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed it was faulty design of the punchboard as well and actually wrote to the German publisher and asked if I could get correctly sized coins (I admitted that it is a bit OCD that it bothers me, but sadly, it does bother me...).
I never got a reply, so I still don't know if it is a production error or a weird design decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbesmaster wrote:
I assumed it was faulty design of the punchboard as well and actually wrote to the German publisher and asked if I could get correctly sized coins (I admitted that it is a bit OCD that it bothers me, but sadly, it does bother me...).
I never got a reply, so I still don't know if it is a production error or a weird design decision.

It's not a production faulty design... I've explained above... have you read it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Hobbesmaster wrote:

It's not a production faulty design... I've explained above... have you read it?

Meh... sounds like too much effort to me... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two copies of Mombasa in front of me, both from R&R.

One has the larger coins. In the other copy, the extra 12 coins are the same size as the rest. I think this confirms the coins in the earlier printing were indeed miscut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastattaq wrote:
I have two copies of Mombasa in front of me, both from R&R.

One has the larger coins. In the other copy, the extra 12 coins are the same size as the rest. I think this confirms the coins in the earlier printing were indeed miscut.

They weren't... If they changed that it must be because they were tired of being asked the same question over and over again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.