Subject: Is an adjacent enemy unit a mandatory target for ranged unit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier GALLERI
France
Montigny-le-Bretonneux
flag msg tools
Everything is in the subject.

My understanding is that this is actually the case if and only if the ranged unit is engaged. Otherwise, I found nothing in the rules that require a ranged attack to target adjacent units prior to distant units.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read the rules is that you must attack the unit that is engaging you, or suffer a Parting Blow. If your ranged unit is not being engaged by an adjacent unit (the unit is attacking someone else), I think it's perfectly fine to fire at other targets. If it's a ranged unit and it's engaged, you have to disengage (suffering a Parting Blow) to fire on another unit.

p. 22 wrote:
Attacking with Engaged Units

An engaged attacker can only attack the unit it is engaged with unless it disengages from that unit (see “Disengaging” below).

If the engaged unit decides to attack the unit it is engaged with, the player replaces the engagement token with one that has his House’s symbol. If it already has his symbol, nothing further happens.

A ranged attacker cannot disengage except by moving. Although a ranged attack does not cause an engagement, a ranged attacker must still attack an opponent it is engaged with if it is going to attack (unless it disengages by moving away).

If an engaged melee attacker attacks a unit other than the one it
is engaged with, the engagement breaks and the unit that is being disengaged from has the option to make a Parting Blow on the disengaging unit. If the disengaging unit is not eliminated after the Parting Blow resolves, it continues with its attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
The way I read the rules is that you must attack the unit that is engaging you, or suffer a Parting Blow. If your ranged unit not being engaged by an adjacent unit (the unit is attacking someone else), I think it's perfectly fine to fire at other targets. If it's a ranged unit and it's engaged, you have to disengage (suffering a Parting Blow) to fire on another unit.

p. 22 wrote:
Attacking with Engaged Units

An engaged attacker can only attack the unit it is engaged with unless it disengages from that unit (see “Disengaging” below).

If the engaged unit decides to attack the unit it is engaged with, the player replaces the engagement token with one that has his House’s symbol. If it already has his symbol, nothing further happens.

A ranged attacker cannot disengage except by moving. Although a ranged attack does not cause an engagement, a ranged attacker must still attack an opponent it is engaged with if it is going to attack (unless it disengages by moving away).

If an engaged melee attacker attacks a unit other than the one it
is engaged with, the engagement breaks and the unit that is being disengaged from has the option to make a Parting Blow on the disengaging unit. If the disengaging unit is not eliminated after the Parting Blow resolves, it continues with its attack.

yep agree with this...thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Royle
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I don't think ranged units can attack adjacent units as their range is 2-4, meaning they cannot target units next to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
royley85 wrote:
I don't think ranged units can attack adjacent units as their range is 2-4, meaning they cannot target units next to them.

Good point; I hadn't looked at the range numbers on the cards. Some ranged units seem to be able to act at range 1, and others not. For example, on p. 11 of the rules, there is an illustration of a Stark Northmen archer, who has range 1-4. Lannister Westerlands archers also have range 1-4. Tully longbows, however, have a range of 2-5, so I suppose that they can't attack adjacent targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
royley85 wrote:

yeah, depends on the ranged unit though. Westerlands Archers are range 1-4, Northman Archers are range 1-4, but Lightning Lord's Longbowmen are 2-5.

Edit -- heh Kent beat me to it by a whisker laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tully longbowmen cant attack or defend in a melee. They are very powerful compared to Lannosters ranged units.
Because of their effective skills, I think the 2-5 is their weakness to balance their power.
I hope you understand my f... english lol
Baratheon ranged units are so dangerous too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kennelmaster units also can't use their ranged Dog of War attack on an adjacent character, but they can make a regular melee attack.

On the OP question, I agree, there is no restriction if the unit is unengaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrStark wrote:
Tully longbowmen cant attack or defend in a melee. They are very powerful compared to Lannosters ranged units.
Because of their effective skills, I think the 2-5 is their weakness to balance their power.
I hope you understand my f... english lol
Baratheon ranged units are so dangerous too.

If by "defending" you mean "counterattacking" that's not correct according to latest FAQs:

Quote:
Q. Can a ranged unit with a minimum range of 2 (such as the Tully Longbowmen) counterattack a unit engaged with them?
A.Yes. Range is only a consideration for attacks, not counterattacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes I meant counterattack. I was wrong so.

Hey guys check the forum the next days... Tyrell are coming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.