Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 1

The initial battleground consists of an Grenadiers of the 243rd Static Infantry Division and an MG42 using the Holdy Manor as cover defending our first objective, the Houdienville Causeway.
Battleground

My initial hand consists of 2LT Thornock (Pathfinder), and Paratroopers Sgt. Wojcinski and Pvt's Borgelin and Fermier. A disorganized card rounds out my fifth draw.
Hand

My initial drop zone consists of a mortar team led by Sgt McKenna, Paratroopers PFC Hansen (Thompson) and Pvt Schilling (BAR), along with the French Resistance.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:

Sgt. Wojcinski cannot suppress the MG42 due to the protection from Holdy Manor (all defending units are considered armored). The MG42 will have to be engaged directly to prevent a breakthrough which would cause more disorganization(draw disorganized card). The Houdienville Causeway objective is within relatively easy reach although this will prevent Wojcinski from locating other units with 2LT Thornock this round. Additionally, the Houdienville Causeway increases the German offensive firepower (+1 to small arms attack)

Deployment:

Sgt. Wojcinski orders Pvt. Borgelin to engage the MG42 and Pvt Fermier to engage the Grenadiers. This allows Wojcinski to secure the Houdienville Causeway objective. Pvt Borgelin is a casualty of the MG42 (3+1vs2) while the MG42 survives the engagement (1vsArmored) and withdraws (discard). Pvt Fermier and the German infantry both survive (1+1vs2 and 1vsArmored respectively) and withdraw (discard). Sgt. Wojcinski secures the objective (2VP). The Germans withdraw from Holdy Manor and the Airborne secure the objective.
Deployment

Reinforcement:

Lt. Thornock locates PFC Hansen (Thompson) and Pvt. Schilling (BAR) (cost 2 and 1)
Reinforcement

Score at end of round 1: 2VP

Round 2

The battleground for round two consists of two German infantry units, the 709th OST and 91st Luftlande supported by two Block Houses.
Battleground

We have no carry over in our hand from round 1 and our draw consists of an officer, 2LT Tham, and Paratroopers Cpl Thomas, and Pvt Svellov. The two remaining disorganized cards are also drawn.
Our hand

Paratrooper Cpl. Higgins joins Sgt. McKenna and the French Resistance in the drop zone and there are reports that a P-47 might be available for CAS if we can make contact
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:

Our two paratroopers can safely engage the German infantry units and force them from the field preventing any breakthroughs causing disorganization this round The two Block Houses, though, will have to be dealt with in later rounds. We will need to locate some anti-armor units soon or be ready to sacrifice infantry units to neutralize the Block Houses. Until they are gone we won't be able to secure any further objectives. 2LT Tham has the option to use the inspire ability to pull the last remaining paratrooper from our deck this round which we could sacrifice on a Block House or hold in reserve for a larger hand after the shuffle before round 3. Or 2LT Tham can locate another Paratrooper and recruit him into the deck. 2LT Tham could also assist in the attack against the 709th OST which would net us 1/2 a VP with no loss.

Deployment:

Cpl. Thomas engages the 709th OST while Pvt Svellov engages the 91st Luftlande. All units survive the engagement (1vs1, 1vs1, 1vs3, and 1vs2) and withdraw. The two Block Houses remain on the battleground.
Deployment

Recruitment:

2LT Tham locates Paratrooper Cpl. Higgins and recruits him (cost 1). Sgt McKenna and his mortar team leave the drop zone to fight with other units (discard).
Recruitment

Score at end of round 2: 2VP.

Post round analysis:

I was tempted take the 1/2 VP here as it is something I never do in the early rounds, but since there was a cheap unit available to recruit I went for that. If I had drawn the last paratrooper instead of the officer I think I would have probably gone for the 1/2 VP foregoing the larger hand in round 3 since it would not have required a sacrifice. After two rounds I have netted 2 additional paratroopers and secured 2 VP with the loss of 1 paratrooper and no additional disorganization. Maybe as good a start as I could hope for. The P-47 came out early and if I can get it I can start using it to destroy Block Houses for VP, but I'll need a lucky draw to get 5 recruit points on one hand.

Round 3:

The battle ground for round three consists of Fallschirmjäger troops of the 91st Luftlande, a Stug of the 243rd Panzerjäger, the Pouppeville Causeway Objective, and the two Block Houses from the previous round.
Battleground

We have no carry over in our hand from round 2 and our draw consists of 2LT Tham, Pathfinder 2LT Thornock, and Paratroopers Sgt. Wojcinski and Pvt Laughlin. Pvt Laughlin was the final card of our original "stick" and the rest were drawn after a shuffle. A disorganized card rounds out our draw for round 3.
Our hand

Pathfinder 2LT Calaway and Sgt. Hirth and his 57mm antitank gun crew join the French Resistance and 1LT Callis (P-47) in the drop zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:

It is impossible to take the Pouppeville Causeway objective. It is heavily defended by the strength of the Fallschirmjäger and Stug units and flanked by the two Block Houses. The Causeway also increases the offensive capability of all of the German units. (+2 small arms attack for all Axis units). Our only option is to prevent or limit breakthroughs and further disorganization while rounding up more men from the drop zone.

Deployment:

Pvt Laughlin engages the Fallschirmjäger troops and becomes a casualty (2+2vs2), but forces the Fallschirmjäger troops to withdraw (1vs3). The Stug is not engaged and breaks through causing disorganization (draw disorganized card). The two Block Houses are not engaged and remain in play. The Pouppeville Causeway remains in German control and the objective is lost (discard).
Deployment

Recruitment:

2LT Tham takes Sgt. Wojcinski and joins Pathfinder 2LT Thornock to locate and recruit Sgt. Hirth and his 57mm crew and Pathfinder 2LT Calaway (cost 4 and 3). 1LT Callis (P-47) and the French Resistance remain in the drop zone (no discard).
Recruitment

Score at end of round 3: 2VP

Post round analyis:

The only real choice to be made here was how many breakthroughs to allow. I could have suppressed the Fallschirmjäger with Wojcinski and sacrificed Laughlin on the Stug and not drawn a disorganized card, but my recruitment would have been limited to one unit for lack of points even though I had a pathfinder. This would have netted me 0 paratroopers while retaining both VP at end scoring. Or I could have let both German units breakthrough and drawn 2 disorganized cards. This would have netted me 2 paratroopers while eliminated 2 VP from end scoring. I chose the middle ground and sacrificed one unit, recruited 2 units, netted -1 VP at end of round scoring, and retained the presence the P-47 and the French Resistance in the drop zone as they are both unique cards.

• [+] Dice rolls
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Airborne Commander: A Playthrough / Rounds 4 through 6
The battleground for round four consists of infantry of the 243rd Static Division, Fallschirmjäger troops of the 91st Luftlande, and a Panzer IV of the 21st Panzer Division flanked by the two Block Houses from the previous rounds.
Battleground

There is no carry over in our hand and our draw is somewhat disorganized with only three paratroopers, Cpl's Thomas and Higgins, and Pvt Schilling (BAR).
Our hand

PFC Wood (Thompson) and Pvt McGee (Medic) join 1LT Callis (P-47) and The French Resistance in the Drop Zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:

We've run into some heavy resistance here in the form of more Fallschirmjäger and the Panzer IV. We still haven't dealt with the two Block Houses and we cannot deal with them this round. Our choices are to either sacrifice two paratroopers and not allow any breakthroughs. or allow the Fallschirmjäger troops and the Panzer to breakthrough and further disorganize us. The latter will allow Cpl's Higgins and Thomas to locate the medic and bring him our unit.

Deployment:

Pvt Schilling (BAR) is ordered to engage the 243rd Static Infanty troops and both sides survive (2vs2 and 1vs2 respectively). The Fallschirmjäger troops and the Panzer IV are not engaged and break through the lines causing more disorganization (draw 2 disorganized cards). The two Block Houses are unengaged and remain defended.
Deployment

Recruitment:

Cpl's Thomas and Higgins locate the medic, Pvt McGee (cost 2), and bring him in. PFC Wood (Thompson) joins other units to fight elsewhere (discard).
Recruitment

Score at end of round 4: 2VP

Post Round Analysis:

There was no easy choice this round. Taking two disorganized cards was tough, but I really wanted the medic to further my plans later in taking out Block Houses for potential VP. I wasn't willing to sacrifice two paratroopers and not gain any VP or clear a static defense.

Round 5

The battleground consists of Fallschirmjäger of the 91st Luftlande and a Sonderkraftfahrzeug armored car of the 100th Panzer Abteilung, flanked by a Block House in addition to the two Block Houses from previous rounds.
Battleground

There was no carry over from the previous round and our draw consists of Sgt Wojcinski, PFC Hansen (Thompson), and Pvt's Fermier and Svellov. We had to shuffle and the fifth card drawn was a disorganized card.
Our hand

Two officers show up in the drop zone, the company commander Cpt Wishik and 2LT Sandico. 1LT Callis (P-47) and the French resistance remain in the area.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:

We continue to run into the strong Fallschirmjäger units of 6.FJR attached to the 91st Luftlande. They are accompanied by a Leichter Panzerspähwagen and are flanked by the three Block Houses. The Fallschirmjäger are too strong to engage directly without casualties, but we have units that can suppress them and prevent them from breaking through. The only way to prevent the Sd.Kfz from breaking through will be to engage directly with an infantry unit. The third Block House puts us dangerously close to being hemmed in and the time is approaching when we will have no choice and must deal with them.

Deployment:

PFC Hansen (Thompson) engages the Fallschirmjäger troops and suppresses them forcing a withdrawal. Pvt Fermier engages the Sd. Kfz and prevents it from breaking through (1vsArmored, 2vs2 respectively) and then withdraws.
Deployment

Recruitment

Sgt Wojcinski is not able bring in anyone from the drop zone and remains in reserve with Pvt Svellov (carry over). 2LT Sandico and the French Resistance depart the drop zone to fight with other units (discard)

Score at end of round 5: 2VP

Post Round Analysis:

Despite getting one step closer to being hemmed in this round was a bit of a breather. I have two paratroopers to carry over into the next round and one of them can either suppress or help recruit. Unfortunately I had to make tougher decisions in the drop zone and I made a what I would consider riskier decisions by keeping the P-47 and Cpt Wishik. Risky because they are both cost 5 points to recruit and also because 5 of the remaining 13 cards before the next shuffle are disorganized cards so the possibility of a terrible draw is definitely there.

Round 6:

The battleground consists of a Flak 88 in Hedgerow Terrain increasing it's defensive position (All units +1 defense). Beyond that is another objective, the Mezeires Barracks, which could have caused us to face additional units on the battleground (draw additional Axis card), but instead we are able to recon beyond and see another objective, the Bridge at Le Port, which we will face on the next battleground.
Battleground

Sgt Wojcinski and Pvt Svellov carry over from our previous hand and are joined by 2LT Tham, Pathfinder 2LT Calaway, and Cpl Thomas. We also draw two disorganized cards which leaves 3 of the remaining 8 cards in this shuffle disorganized cards.
Hand

PFC Ferrell and his machine gun crew have been spotted in the drop zone along with Cpl Hill and his jeep. The P-47 and Cpt Wishik are also still in the drop zone waiting to join fighting units.
[ImageID=]Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:

The Mezeires Barracks is lightly defended by a single Flak 88. We have the ability to suppress the 88 and directly engage the Block Houses. We also have the ability to suppress the 88 and recruit the .30 cal team and the jeep. Finally, could directly engage the 88 and recruit the P-47 or Cpt Wishik along with either the .30 cal crew or the jeep.

Deployment:

Sgt Wojcinski is ordered to suppress the Flak 88 and as we withdraw(discard)[.i]. The three Block Houses not engaged and they remain defended. The Mezeires Barracks remains under German control until other Allied Units can successfully attack[i](discard). Pvt Svellov remains on stand by (carry over).
Deployment

Recruitment
2LT Tham and Cpl Thomas assist 2LT Callaway in rounding up PFC Ferrell and his M1919 crew, and Cpl Hill and his jeep and bringing them into our unit (cost 3 and 3).
Recruitment

Score at end of round 6: 2VP

Post Round Analysis:

Another objective is allowed to slip by and the fourth of eight will be up next round. Three of four blockhouses are already in play. I could have grabbed the P-47 this round, but the Jeep with its recruiting and draw ability was too tempting and I did not want to take a casualty without gaining VP. It will also be nice to the have the firepower of the M1919 crew. If some cheap units start showing up in the drop zone now I may let the P-47 go to fight somewhere else. I'm a about 1/3 through the mission deck now. It may also be reasonable to let Cpt Wishik go in favor of Major Godwinson if he shows up soon. I'd use him to rally every time and drop the disorganization level. A 12VP win before the deck exhausts is not looking feasable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Airborne Commander: A Playthrough / Rounds 7 through 9
Round 7

The battleground consists of the previously reconnoitered objective, Bridge at Le Port, defended by Grenadiers of the 91st Luftlande and a Panzerjäger I. The objective is flanked by the three Block Houses from previous rounds. The height of the bridge is giving the Germans an advantage (+1 small arms attack for all axis units)
Battleground

Pvt Svellov (carry over) is joined by the draw of Pathfinder 2LT Thornock, Sgt. Hirth and the 57mm anti tank gun crew, and Pvt Schilling (BAR). Two disorganized cards round out the draw.
Our hand

The P-47 remains on stand by while 1LT Paden and an M1A1 Howitzer crew along with Sgt Vallack and a mortar crew join Cpt Wishik in the drop zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:

The Block Houses have become a real hindrance to any objectives we face now and we don't have enough troops to mount an assault on the obective this turn. In order to prevent a breakthrough and further disorganization we will have to take some casualties, but we can offset this by destroying the Panzerjäger and taking a VP.

Deployment:

Pvt Svellov and Sgt Hirth directly engage the Pz.Jg. Pvt Svellov becomes a casualty (2+1vs2), but draws fire away from Sgt Hirth long enough for the 57mm gun to destroy the Pz.Jg. (4vs2). Pvt Schilling directly engages the Grenadiers and both withdraw (2vs3 and 1+1vs2 respictively). The objective slips away and the Germans remain in control of The Bridge at Le Port (discard) and the three Block Houses remain defended on the battleground.
Deployment

Recruitment:

2LT Thornock is not able to influence anyone in the drop zone to join the unit (lack of points). 1LT Callis and the P-47, along with 1LT Peden and the Howitzer depart the drop zone to fight with other units (discard)

Score at end of round 7: 3VP

Post Round Analysis:

Easy choices here. It was either allow a breakthrough with disorganization and no casualties or take a VP by destroying the Marder with the loss of one unit. Destroying a Block House would have required the loss of the 57 mm crew so that price was too high at this point in the battle.

Round 8

The Battle ground consists of Grenadiers of the 709th OST Infantry Division in Hedgrerow Terrain (all units +1 defense) defending a coastal artillery battery. They are flanked by the three Block Houses from the previous rounds.
Battleground

2LT Thornock (carry over) is joined by Cpl Higgins and Medic Pvt McGee. Three disorganized cards round out the draw after a mid-draw shuffle.
Our hand

Cpt Wishik and Sgt Vallack's mortar crew are joined by Sgt Hirth's 57mm anti tank gun crew and PFC Massey with a bazooka.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
Another objective is unobtainable and the Block Houses will remain yet again. The objective is lightly defended and we can at least prevent a breakthrough and disorganization.

Deployment:

Cpl Higgins directly engages the Grenadiers before withdrawing (1vs1+1 for both). The three Block Houses are unengaged and remain defended for the next round. Medic Pvt mcGee is not needed and will stand by (carry over).
Deployment

Recruitment:

2LT Thornock is not able to influence anyone in the drop zone to join the unit (lack of points). Cpt Wishik and Sgt Hirth's 57mm crew depart the drop zone to fight with other units (discard).

Score at end of round 8: 3VP

Post Round Analysis

I could have engaged the Grenadiers with the Medic in order to recruit either the mortar or bazooka with Thornock and Higgins, but chose to hold him and wait for the 57mm to come out. My plan is to destroy a block house for VP with that combo. Five of the 8 objectives are out of the deck now and I have only captured one of them. That leaves 6VP available from objectives, but there are still five armored units in the deck and the tougher four Block Houses available. Three of the six disorganized cards in our deck have already come out so with ten of the remaining thirteen being paratrooper cards I have a good shot at a decent hand or two in a row.

Round 9

The battleground consists of Grenadiers of the 91st Infantry Division and a Panzerjäger I. They are flanked by a Block House in addition to the three Block Houses from the previous rounds.
Battleground

2LT Thornock and Pvt McGee (carry over) are joined by Pathfinder 2LT Calaway, Sgt Wojcinski, Cpl Thomas, Cpl Hill with a Jeep, and PFC Ferrell's M1919 machine gun crew.
Our hand

PFC Massey and Sgt Vallack's mortar crew are joined by Pvt Scheans (BAR) and PFC McEachran and a Browning MG crew.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
We are hemmed in. A fourth Block House now forces us to act aggressively to avoid capture. We have a solid corps of troopers, but no armor destroying ability available so preventing a breakthrough and capture will require taking casualties.

Deployment:

Sgt Wojcinski directly engages the Pz.Jg. with support from Medic Pvt McGee (1vsArmored and 2vs1+Medic). All withdraw from the battleground (discard). PFC Ferrel directly engages the Grenadiers (2vs3 and 1vs2 respectively) and both withdraw from the battleground (discard). Cpl Thomas directly engages a Block House (1vsArmored vs 3vs1) and becomes a casualty (remove from game). This action allows the unit to bypass the Block House and escape the encirclement (discard).
Deployment

Recruitment:

Cpl Hill transports 2LT's Thornock and Calaway in the jeep to the drop zone where they are successful in linking up with Sgt Vallack's mortar team, PFC Massey with a bazooka, and Pvt Scheans (BAR). All return to the unit (cost 3, 3, and 1)
Recruitment

Score at end of round 9: 3VP

Post Round Analysis

Two more potential VP's lost, but I netted three badly needed troopers. No disorganized cards came out which means three of the next eight cards are disorganized before the shuffle. I'm about halfway through the mission deck and the player deck consists of fifteen troopers and six disorganized cards, slightly worse than 25% disorganized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Airborne Commander: A Playthrough / Rounds 10 through 17 Final Round
Round 10

The battleground consists of a Sd.Kfz. armored car and a StuG III. They are flanked by the three Block Houses from the previous rounds. Between this area and the drop zone is a large area of Holzpfähle, also known as Rommel's Asparagus, which will disrupt my ability to reinforce this round (-1 to reinforcement total this turn)
Battleground

There is no carry over from the previous round. 2LT Tham, Pvt Schilling (BAR), and Sgt. Hirth with the 57mm anti tank gun crew are tasked with attacking the German armor. Two disorganized cards complete the draw.
Our hand

PFC McEachran and the Browning MG crew are joined by the company XO, Maj Godwinson, and PFC's Hill and Roth with Gammon grenades in the drop zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
I am facing overwhelming armor opposition for my limited trooper corps. The choice will become trading either a VP for a disorganized card or a casualty. I can ill afford either.

Deployment:

Pvt Schilling lays a base of fire against the Sonderkraftfahrzeug delaying it long enough (2vsArmored and 2vs2) for Sgt Hirth to destroy it with the 57mm (4vs1)(add 1VP). 2LT Tham is held in reserve and the StuG is able to break through and cause disorganization (draw disorganized card)
Deployment

Recruitment:

The drop zone is too far away on the other side of Rommel's Asparagus so 2LT Tham is unable to reinforce anyone into the unit (-1 to reinforcement total this turn). PFC's Hill and McEachran leave the drop zone to fight with other units (discard)

Score at end of round 11: 4VP

Post Round Analysis

I chose to hold 2LT Tham because I feel his recruitment ability is too valuable to sacrifice against stopping a disorganized card. The player deck is a bit thin at this point in the game so I am trying to preserve troopers and reinforcement points.

Round 11

The battleground consists of the Audouville-la-Hubert Causeway objective defended by a Granatawerfer team and a Flak 88. They are flanked by the three Block Houses from the previous rounds. The defense around the causeway has partially cut us off from the drop zone, restricting my ability to reinforce(-1 to reinforcement total this turn).
Battleground

2LT Tham (carry over) is joined by Pvt Fermier (shuffle), PFC Hanson (Thompson), and Sgt Hirth and the anti tank gun crew. Two disorganized cards round out the draw.
Our hand

Maj Godwinson and PFC Roth (Gammon) are joined by Sgt McGovern and Cpl Thomas with a Jeep.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
The sixth objective has appeared and it is unobtainable with the current corps of troopers. Also, I cannot prevent a breakthrough without taking casualties with the current corps. This appears to be a good time to use 2LT Tham's command ability(discard one disorganized card and draw a card from player deck).
Our hand after using the command ability

Deployment:

2LT Tham finds Sgt Wojcinski and brings him into the fight. Sgt Wojcinski and PFC Hanson (Thompson) lay suppressing fire on the German mortar and Flak 88 teams until the current units can withdraw (discard). The three Block Houses are not engaged and remain defended on the battleground. Pvt Fermier and Sgt Hirth with the anti tank crew remain in reserve (carry over)
Deployment

Recruitment:

I do not have any recruitment ability so Sgt McGovern and Cpl Thomas with the Jeep leave the drop zone to fight with other units.

Score at end of round 11: 4VP

Post Round Analysis

Another objective opportunity missed, but I have a chance for a strong hand next round with the carry over from this round. My draw of Sgt Wojcinski by use of the command ability was rather lucky and saved me from taking casualties.

Round 12

The battleground consists of Grenadiers for the 91st Luftlande and 243rd Static along with a German mortar team. They are flanked by the three Block Houses from the previous rounds.
Battleground

Pvt Fermier and Sgt Hirth with the anti tank crew (carry over) are joined by Pathfinder 2LT Thornock, PFC Ferrell (M1919), Pvt Scheans (BAR), and PFC Massey with a bazooka. A disorganized cards rounds out the draw.
Our hand

Maj Godwinson and PFC Roth (Gammon) are joined by Sgt London and Pvt Geryk (BAR) in the drop zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
I can easily meet force with force this round and destroy some German infantry without taking any casualties. I will also be able to hold some troopers in reserve as we don't quite have the necessary combo for busting bunkers yet. I will also be able to recruit two units. This should be a solid round for me.

Deployment:

PFC Ferrell lays down a base of fire which suppresses both the 243rd Static and the Granatawerfer team. While Pvt Fermier pins the 91st Luftlande using direct engagement, Pvt Scheans (BAR) closes with the Granatawerfer team and destroys it (1/2VP). The three Block Houses are not engaged and remain defended on the battleground. Sgt Hirth (57mm) and PFC Massey (Bazooka) remain in reserve.
Deployment

Recruitment:

2LT Thornock locates PFC Roth (Gammon) and Pvt Geryk (BAR) in the drop zone and brings them in as reinforcements.
Reinforcements

Score at end of round 12: 4.5VP

Post Round Analysis

Not overwhelming force, but enough to get the job done and earn a bit of VP. Net two cheap reinforcements and two anti armor units held in reserve for a decent round.

Round 13

The battleground consists of a German mortar team, an MG42 team, and a Panzerjäger. They are flanked by the three Block Houses from the previous rounds.
Battleground

PFC Massey (Bazooka) and Sgt Hirth (57mm) (carry over) are joined by Medic Pvt McGee, Cpl's Higgins and Thomas, and Pvt Schilling (BAR). A disorganized card rounds out the draw.
Hand

Maj Godwinson and Sgt London are joined by PFC Symington (Gammon) and PFC Salomaa (M1919) in the drop zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
The Germans have placed offensively strong units in my path this round. I have the ability to inflict casualties and take VP, but not without taking casualties myself if I want to prevent a breakthrough.

Deployment:

PFC Massey engages the Panzerjäger and destroys it (3vs2 and 2vs2)(1VP). Pvt Schilling (BAR) attacks and destroys the Granatawerfer team, but becomes a casualty in the process (2vs1 and 3vs2)(1/2VP). Cpl Higgins engages the MG42 and is a casualty (1vs2 and 3vs1). Cpl Thomas launches an assault on a Block House drawing its fire. He's wounded, but Pvt McGee pulls him to safety (1vsArmored and 3vs1+Medic). Sgt Firth destroys the blockhouse with the 57mm (4vs3 and 3-1vs1+1)(1VP). Sgt Hirth and the other survivors withdraw.
Deployment

Reinforcements:

No reinforcements are brought in this round. PFC Salomaa (M1919) and Sgt London join other units in the drop zone and head off to fight somewhere else.

Score at end of round 13: 7VP

Post Round Analysis:

I went for it this round. The deck is 2/3 gone so I had better start adding VP before time runs out. The medic came out and although I had to take one more casualty than I had initially planned for (due to the offensive strength of the Germans) I was able to secure 2.5VP at the cost of two troopers.

Round 14

The battleground consists of Fallschirmjäger that are defending near a road block. They are flanked by two Block Houses from the previous rounds. There is also more Holzpfähle between the battleground and the drop zone, inhibiting reinforcements (-1 to reinforcements this turn). During the probe of the battleground Brecourt Manor was revealed and will be assaulted next round (if more than one terrain card appears place it in the recon area)
Battleground

There are no troopers in reserve from last round(no carry over). Pathfinder 2LT Calaway, a mortar crew led by Sgt Vallack, and Cpl Hill in his Jeep are drawn. Two disorganized cards round out the draw.
Hand

Maj Godwinson and PFC Symington (Gammon) are joined by Sgt Corbett (81mm mortar) and PFC Bullock (Bazooka) in the drop zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
After probing the area the only option is to suppress it with mortars and send Calaway and Hill to the drop zone to locate reinforcements.

Deployment:

Sgt Vallack and his mortar crew shell the area of the road block and the defending Fallschirmjäger before withdrawing from the area. The two Block Houses are not engaged and remain defended on the battleground.
Deployment

Reinforcements:

2LT Calaway and Cpl Hill return with reinforcements PFC Bullock (Bazooka) and PFC Symington (Gammon) (cost 3 and 2).
Reinforcements

Score at end of round 14: 7VP

Post Round Analysis:

A quiet round compared to the last one, but I net two more troopers for the final push. It would have been nice to save up for Maj Godwinson, but a shuffle is happening next round and it may be the last one. There is a good chance he wouldn't have reached the field and if he did it would have only been worth saving a VP. Bullock and Symington can earn a VP together by knocking out a Block House if they turn up at the same time.

Round 15

The battleground consists of a road block in our path to the Carentan Highway Objective. The objective is well defended and will require heavy munitions to secure (must assign anti tank to capture). Brecourt Manor overlooks the area (defending units are considered armored). The road block and objective are flanked by two Block Houses from the previous rounds. During the probe of the battleground a flooded field was revealed and that area will be assaulted next round (if more than one terrain card appears place it in the recon area)
Battleground

There are no troopers in reserve from last round(no carry over). A disorganized card is drawn before the shuffle and then 2LT Tham, Sgt Wojcinski, PFC Roth (Gammon), and Pvt.Scheans are drawn for the battle.
Hand

Maj Godwinson and Sgt Corbett (81mm mortar) are joined by PFC Eeles (Thompson) and PFC Ramirez (Bazooka) in the drop zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
The objective is heavily defended by static defenses and terrain. It will take every trooper on the battleground to secure it.

Deployment:

Sgt Wojcinski lays down a base of fire on the road block while 2LT Tham and Pvt Scheans each engage a block house in a frontal assault, both becoming casualties in the process (1vsArmored and 3vs1 & 2vsArmored and 3vs2 respectively). PFC Roth uses his Gammon grenades (must assign anti tank to capture) to secure the objective (2VP
Deployment

Reinforcements:

No reinforcements are called in this round. Maj Godwinson and Sgt Corbett leave the drop zone to fight with other units.

Score at end of round 15: 9VP

Post Round Analysis:

A heavy cost to pay in troopers, but this objective could not be allowed to slip by.

Round 16

The battleground consists of an MG42 overlooking a road block. At the road block is a Kraftrad-melder. If this reconnaissance unit is allowed to escape it will our position to the Germans and likely call in reinforcements (next turn draw additional Axis card if not destroyed). During the probe of the battleground a flooded field was revealed and that area will be assaulted next round (if more than one terrain card appears place it in the recon area)
Battleground

There are no troopers in reserve from last round(no carry over). PFC Bullock (Bazooka), Pvt Geryk (BAR), and Pvt McGee (Medic) are drawn. Two disorganized cards round out the draw.
Hand

PFC Eeles (Thompson) and PFC Ramirez (Bazooka) are joined by Pathfinder 2LT Sasser and 1LT Smythe (Howitzer) in the drop zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
The only thing possible here is to prevent a breakthrough.

Deployment:

Pvt McGee (Medic) approaches the road block, but slips out of cover and becomes a casualty (0vs3 and 3vs1). PFC Bullock (Bazooka) attempts to destroy the MG42 position, but fails and becomes a casualty in the process (2vs2 and 3vs2). Pvt Geryk (BAR) opens fire on the Kraftrad BMW as it speeds away (2vs2 and 1vs2)]. The Germans will now send reinforcents to engage us (next turn draw addtional Axis card if not destroyed).
Deployment

Reinforcements:

No reinforcements are called in this round. 1LT Smythe (Howitzer) and PFC Ramirez (Bazooka) leave the drop zone to fight with other units.

Score at end of round 16: 9VP

Post Round Analysis:

There was no VP gain possible here. Net -2 troopers to prevent a break through and disorganization.

Round 17

The battleground consists of Grenadiers of the 709th OST and a StuG guarding a roadblock on the way to the La Barquette Locks objective. The approach is flanked by flooded field terrain. (The last mission card has been played. This is the final round.)
Battleground

There are no troopers in reserve from last round(no carry over). 2LT Calaway (Pathfinder), PFC Ferrell (.30 cal), PFC Symington (Gammon), and PFC Hansen (Thompson) team up to take the final objective. One disorganized card completes the draw.
Hand

PFC Eeles (Thompson) and 2LT Sasser (Pathfinder) are joined by Cpl Drake and Cpl Allen with a Jeep in the drop zone.
Drop Zone

Tactical Situation:
The objective is within reach. The StuG cannot be destroyed, but if it can be forced to withdraw the La Barquette Locks will be secured. The flooded fields will prevent all reinforcements except infantry.

Deployment:

PFC Hansen (Thompson) lays a base of fire on the road block (support suppress 1) while PFC Ferrell deploys his Browning MG to the flank of the road block and wipes out the 709th OST troops with enfilading fire (2vs1 and 1vs2)(1/2VP). PFC Symington attempts to take out the StuG, but is caught early and becomes a casualty (2vs3 and 3vs2). This action forces the StuG to withdraw. 2LT Calaway (Pathfinder) secures the La Barquette Locks and takes the objective (2VP).
Deployment

Reinforcements:

No reinforcements are called in this round due to end of game.

Score at end of round 17: 11.5VP

Post Round Analysis:

Secured maximum possible VP.

Final Scoring: 4.5VP Bronze Star Victory(11.5-7 disorganized cards)

23 total paratroopers
10 casualties

The fallen:

2LT Tham
Cpl Higgins
PFC Bullock
PFC Symington
Pvt McGee
Pvt Scheans
Pvt Schilling
Pvt Svellov
Pvt Laughlin
Pvt Borgelin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baardsnes
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Airborne Commander: A Playthrough / Rounds 1 through 6
Thank you for your session reports, they make interesting reading.
What do you think of this game so far?
Would like to read your comments and opinions as well.
Cheers,
Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flashbang wrote:
Thank you for your session reports, they make interesting reading.
What do you think of this game so far?
Would like to read your comments and opinions as well.
Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks for the kind words.

My goal with this session post was to demonstrate play by play and hopefully help with understanding the rules. Hopefully I didn't make any errors, but if you see any please do point them out and I can make appropriate edits.

I also wanted to demonstrate how the theme of the game really works with the cards. Writing it out it was really easy to picture how the cards could be translated into a real setting and how the battle might play out.

I really like this game. It plays quickly and sets up in a limited space. I like the artwork and I like that the paratroopers are individually named.

This was my 10th play and my best result yet, but to be honest I made quite a few rules mistakes in my early games and even up to this play through was not implementing suppression correctly. In those first nine plays I've been "scattered" once and had other scores ranging from -3 to +3VP. I'm still working out strategy since this is the first deck builder I've ever played.

Some minor quibbles I have:

There are two 57mm anti tank guns in the deck, but they are both named Sgt Hirth. I wish they had used a different name for the second one.

The rule book could be a bit better. It's not bad and once I understood a rule and then went back and read the book again I could see that it is pretty clearly explained. There's just something about how it is initially laid out when read that seems to cause me confusion. I think I have it all down now though.

I sleeved my cards and now the box won't completely close. It will close enough and it's not a problem, but it doesn't lay as nice on the shelf this way.

Like I said, all minor quibbles. The game is definitely a keeper for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Deployment:

Sgt. Wojcinski orders Pvt. Borgelin to engage the MG42 and Pvt Fermier to engage the Grenadiers. This allows Wojcinski to secure the Houdienville Causeway objective. Pvt Borgelin is a casualty of the MG42 (3+1vs2) while the MG42 survives the engagement (1vsArmored) and withdraws (discard). Pvt Fermier and the German infantry both survive (1+1vs2 and 1vsArmored respectively) and withdraw (discard). Sgt. Wojcinski secures the objective (2VP). The Germans withdraw from Holdy Manor and the Airborne secure the objective.
Deployment

That's me ... The poor bugger who takes on an MG42 and doesn't come out of it too well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks, that was very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T.
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was an awesome walkthrough! I wish I had found this a few days ago. I was using NVS and someone else's videos to get a better handle on the rules. I will definitely agree with you that the theme REALLY comes out when you wrote out your setting up of the four fields of fire as it were and what units you want to order. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Leiker
United States
Friday Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the compliment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - this is an excellent walkthrough of a great game Ted, well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Featherstonhaugh
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question from a noob!
in round 15 doesn't Brecourt Manor make the roadblock Armoured and therefor cannot be surpressed by mortars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulus001 wrote:
A question from a noob!
in round 15 doesn't Brecourt Manor make the roadblock Armoured and therefor cannot be surpressed by mortars?

Per this reply, static defenses are not units. Basically "units" is a card type that can be defined as not an Objective, Static Defense, or Terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.