Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Vogt
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing a solitaire A-B 2-map full campaign just to get an understanding of the ebb and flow of the game and long term objectives/strategies for the next time I play head to head. I've played several OCS games so I understand the basics.

Regarding Wacht am Rhein my question is to clarify that the process of removing the units from the map and the dead pool to the unready box resurrects all the dead pool units. So when a "Y" is achieved on the WaR column of the German Repl Table a division moves entirely from the unready to ready side completely rebuilt. It doesn't specifically say that units removed to the dead pool are rebuilt, I could interpret the wording to mean the dead units are withdrawn from the game.

I think the intent is to rebuild the divisions in this manner but after playing my game through mid-December the sudden arrival of four fully functional SS divisions is going to probably do more than cause a bulge in their lines. Fortunately supply is going to be limited after the first turn so I'll play it out and see what happens.

Also a smart German player would just use these units to reinforce the line or do a few small counter attacks on vulnerable areas but not go for a big push like was historically done.

In game sense I believe that elements of many of these divisions historically moved to far forward to be pulled back and were cut off and eliminated and so were wasted. They didn't have enough supply to withdrawal when the allies counter attacked when WaR ran out of steam

If these units don't attack and are held back defensively all these 'freely' rebuilt top rate combat units will make the allied victory conditions even harder to achieve.

I don't see any incentive in the rules to encourage a more historical outcome, in other words to encourage an all-out attack. I'm going to play it historically and try for Amsterdam and if the Germans make it I'll give them an instant win. I don't think they will, but I don't think I want to play it any other way.

I'd like to hear if my understanding is correct about the free rebuilds before I commit, as well as comments regarding lack of true WaR incentives in the rules.

I'm following the Scenario 6.2 two-map rules, but I don't see anything for a full campaign for WaR, so I've decided on two 'house' rules; one for the German player to have all the SP rolled on German Supply Table on the turn of WaR declaration (rather than 1/2). And two for the Allies for the duration of 2.9E the US can keep all but 1 SP instead of 1/2 of the Supply Table roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, full division is rebuilt on a Y result. Historically, these divisions left their equipment behind when they were pulled out to refit, which the why the German player is expressly allowed to use Consolidation to put most of the division in Dead Pile before rebuilding it.

Note most of the WaR heavy hitters are withdrawn to the East Front in January, so the Germans don't gain all that much for not launching an offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
All the dead units are returned free of charge. As to why you might want to do an all out attack. All or most of the WaR units are permanently removed from the game in January (sent to the eastfront). Usem or losem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean about a 2-map WaR. The 2-map games do not allow the Germans to conduct WaR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Vogt
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your prompt replies, I forgot about the eastern front withdrawals! Hence why I wanted to go through it all the way myself. And true John most of the two map games don't permit WaR but I wanted to do it anyway to see how I'd use the units in a real game. So it is an experiment on my side. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Note that WaR is allowed if playing with "The Great Argument" option for Scenario 6.2, or if playing it free form.

Personally, I agree with the OP that preserving the WaR units as a rapid-reaction, defensive force is a valid tactic and consideration. Play the game, not the history.

That said, one of the great things about BTR is that it provides tough choices. Different playings, with different players, will provide different uses for WaR. Be flexible, and use it to your advantage--as you see fit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:
Note that WaR is allowed if playing with "The Great Argument" option for Scenario 6.2, or if playing it free form.

Personally, I agree with the OP that preserving the WaR units as a rapid-reaction, defensive force is a valid tactic and consideration. Play the game, not the history.

That said, one of the great things about BTR is that it provides tough choices. Different playings, with different players, will provide different uses for WaR. Be flexible, and use it to your advantage--as you see fit!

I completely agree with you. Remember though that when you declare WaR the Allies will be exempt from the Broadfront rules for 1-3 (4 I forget) turns. They may turn the tables on you to an extant if you don't do anything but create a couple of large Panzer reserves. That might be fun as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland LeBlanc
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mb
That's whats great about gaming. You can create your own history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.