Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The War Gamer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
The War Gamer (YouTube) Check it out.
badge
It's our imagination that is responsible for the quality of a game, not the game itself.
mb
I thought I'd take a moment and point out an obscure little Mode that takes almost no effort to coordinate and has a big impact on your combat die rolls. Most of the Modes units use in this game are listed together in the front of the rule book around page 14, but there is a little mode with a big bite hidden way back on page 38 of the Series rules that Promises to save your backside time and again. With the only caveats being that the unit can't move and it must be within 3 hexes of the combat hex, Combat Reserve Mode is easy to implement and can deliver as much as a whopping 15 point increase to your die roll.

With this much of an increase to a players die roll modifier, I wondered just what combat mechanic is simulated in this act of reserving units behind an attack and what might be the best method to do it. What have your CR practices been?

Follow up: I am beginning to understand that of the three regiments in a typical infantry division, if one is kept in reserve, there is your maximum three unit DRM. Unveiling the wisdom in this system is a fascinating process. The designer does not force you to use units accurately but instead rewards those who do.

Further Follow up: I have discovered that there are some CW 2nd Army reserve Infantry with low attack numbers but great defense numbers well suited to this role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Darlington
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. This game rewards divisional integrity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
And it also shows the need for rest and reorganization after a day or two of intense combat. The regiments and units an get so mixed up that you almost have to pause to reorganize everybody to gain full Reg Integrity benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.