Subject: Insane cost of supplements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone enlighten me as to why the prices of the supplements are so insane. $10 for 15 cards!?

http://flyingfrogproductions.mybigcommerce.com/game-suppleme...

I feel like I would be better off buying an entire base set and printing off new card fronts and paste them onto the appropriate card backs since I sleeve my cards anyway.

Does FFP ever plan on releasing these as a set at a reasonable cost?

Edit: Change FFG to FFP. Duh! I'm so used to typing FFG it just came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Their web exclusive content has always been that price so I don't think you are going to see any changes in the future.

The problem with this game in particular is FFP said the costs of the game were a lot higher then they expected so that's probably why all the separate figure/card expansions are pretty high. So those that backed the KS got a great deal, but not so much for post KS purchasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year for cybermonday, the supplements were on sale "buy two, get one free". Maybe they will have the same deal next year too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
Does FFG FFP ever plan on releasing these as a set at a reasonable cost?

Fixed that for you...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rekinom wrote:
This year for cybermonday, the supplements were on sale "buy two, get one free". Maybe they will have the same deal next year too.

That's better, but even still is pretty crazy expensive for what it is.

I'll just buy a new base game when the price is right, and make my own extra cards. Then I'll also have extra tiles, and a whole bunch of other extra stuff.

Stupid fantastic game with insanely priced non-necessities that I must have...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card sets probably have a fixed base cost that only slowly increases with the number of cards.

This said, it's too bad 'cause most people would love to buy two or three extra sets of just the Gear and Artefact cards. We need to do this in a campaign (HexCrawl) setting because otherwise the Other World artefact sets are quickly drained. We end up putting them back in their decks after writing them down on our character sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally love this game but I think the prices will be it's inevitable demise. There just is not value in the cost they charge and the expansions are desperately needed right now to add some monster variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indygamer wrote:
I personally love this game but I think the prices will be it's inevitable demise. There just is not value in the cost they charge and the expansions are desperately needed right now to add some monster variety.

I agree with this. The new monster packs would have been an instant buy, but the quality of minis you get for the cash isn't good. I have the two base games and caverns, and am debating calling it fits right there and cutting the rope on what looks like an insanely expensive game to keep up on. A shame really. I really like this one.

The guys at Monolith appear to really have their game together with the Conan Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
Indygamer wrote:

I agree with this. The new monster packs would have been an instant buy, but the quality of minis you get for the cash isn't good. I have the two base games and caverns, and am debating calling it fits right there and cutting the rope on what looks like an insanely expensive game to keep up on. A shame really. I really like this one.

The guys at Monolith appear to really have their game together with the Conan Kickstarter.

welp , a few things to consider ....

first is that games like this made by companies the size of FFP tend to do things in smaller quantities , so their costs are higher .

second , while i agree the minis out of the base sets and cynder arent that great , a lot of other people have commented on how good the minis in the expansions are .

third , this is a board game , so if you dont have every expansion set , it wont hurt you , so you dont HAVE to buy it all

fourth , the replayability on this game is ridiculously high for its genre , so this is a game that we will all keep playing as opposed to OTHER games of the genre like descent which seems to have a small hard core following , but that isnt played that much beyond filler , where as with this game , people look for reasons to pull it out and play .

fifth the game has really good production values , thats not cheap , i have paid far more for games with lower production values .

sixth the game is still new , so they are trying to get as much out to expand it as they can to keep interest . but i would suspect we can expect a slowdown in expansions after a while so they can also devote time to their other games and new projects , so you wont have as much to buy later on .

but if you want to get out , i am sure you will have no problem selling your stuff , lost of people are interested in this game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
Does FFP ever plan on releasing these as a set at a reasonable cost?

This isn't the time to mention the promo cards, is it? whistle

I'll pick up the base games at a deep discount if I find them, but I'm hoping for a Mantic here. Between the miniatures quality and mini-expansions, I and my wallet can wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buy 2 get 1 sale going on supplements again until 2/15/2016.

https://flyingfrogproductions.mybigcommerce.com/

edit: fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rekinom wrote:
2 for 1 sale going on supplements again until 2/15/2016.

https://flyingfrogproductions.mybigcommerce.com/

oh sweet, thanks for the noticed.

but just a FYI, is actually buy 2 and get another 1 free (3 totals)

EDIT nope, I don't have 3 to buy, that I care for.

so.. badlands expansion is not out yet, right? with this supplement they added a way to (partially) play with the otherworld without actually having the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is, I have no idea what I'm already supposed to be getting with my pledge. Anyone know?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
My problem is, I have no idea what I'm already supposed to be getting with my pledge. Anyone know?

-shnar

this might help you

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1235396/minecart-contents-l...

There is another thread (couldn't dig it out), and I think I read update 53 talk about that in the KS..

hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I have a spreadsheet I have been working on but it is crafted for my Outlaw pledge with no add-ons. I use the following sources to help figure out what retail expansions I will get someday...

The best sources I found is this graphical one: http://imgur.com/a/wTNIM#0

And the thread the graphic is based on: Themed Expansion Packs (and completing an Outlaw pledge)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
so.. badlands expansion is not out yet, right? with this supplement they added a way to (partially) play with the otherworld without actually having the expansion?

It's a tiny stand alone expansion, not a supplement for a later expansion.

Badlands Expedition Game Supplement - Review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rekinom wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:

It's a tiny stand alone expansion, not a supplement for a later expansion.

Badlands Expedition Game Supplement - Review

thanks for the link
It might be worth getting at some point in the future. Sadly wont be able to take advantage of the sale because I don't care for the other supplements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.