1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What do you guys do with sore losers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
those that always make a big fuss about their outcome during their turn whatever game it is and what they got pennalized in the game for?

how many of them haved no longer been invited to your game sessions. In other words, do you banned sore losers from your game group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I send them to Cincinnati.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
those that always make a big fuss about their outcome during their turn whatever game it is and what they got pennalized in the game for?

how many of them haved no longer been invited to your game sessions. In other words, do you banned sore losers from your game group?

I organize a meetup group, and we find that people like that tend to eliminate themselves. If they feel that way about losing a game, or are that upset about a turn or whatever, then they aren't having fun, and they eventually don't come back.

Every once in a while we'll get a brand new board gamer who will ask a question about why we don't get upset about losing, and we tell them that if you are playing with three or four or more other players, the odds are against you winning, so you'd better be at the table to have fun. They seem to accept this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Thomas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrouser wrote:

ROFL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell them:

- Waaaa, you gonna cry now?
- Come back and play again when you know what you're doing.
- Let's play again so I can really show you how bad you can lose.
- I've seen some dumbass moves in this game, but yours just took the cake.
- The reason you lost is because you suck!
- Do you even understand the concept of worker placement?
- You might be better suited to roll-and-move games.
- I'm truly sorry you didn't understand that rule, even though it was explained to you... three times!

And the all time reliable:
- I'm sorry, would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

And always invite them back. You need someone to laugh at for losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello I Am Jim
badge
Yo
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did the roast complain so much?.......

Because it was cooked in whine.

I'll be here all night ladies and gentlemen. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky enough to game with enough people that I can usually avoid these sorts of players. And even if I end up occasionally gaming with them, because it's not every single game, I can cope with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this can be tricky. I feel like a great deal of us have dealt with this at some time or another. There have been times where I have done this. A person being self-aware is really the main issue, I've found. I realized that my behavior was childish and I eventually learned to not act on that feeling of frustration for making a mistake/losing/getting 'screwed over,' and I'm much happier because of it.

For me it was just getting used to these types of games/competition, and being self-aware enough to realize I was being a sore loser. The issue fixed itself.

If the person isn't self-aware enough to realize they're being childish - because that's what they're being - then it really should be addressed right when it's happening. That kind of behavior really makes the entire room awkward, and if it doesn't get addressed it will just continue to be awkward, and could put a strain on the actual friendship, if there is one.

So my vote is to let it fix itself if you think the person is self-aware enough to know it's a problem, and then once enough time has passed and it's not being fixed, address it when it's happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexagonal Crank
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbTrebuchet - the solution to all of gamings problems.mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrouser wrote:

Send him to Detroit.
Noooo! Anything but that! Aahhhhh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, this is a big problem when the person either gloats on victory over others and then when losing, complains it was unfair or broken. It gets on my nerves because th people ho do this only are there to win, not to have fun. Self-aware would be nice, but the ego gets in the way far to often.
I'm limited on who I can play games with so I have to deal with it, even when I am the "fault" for the other losing, due to seating. Any excuse to the reason they didn't win, tacked on top, a big gloat to when the do win.
On top of that, how about not letting you go back and retake a step, but they do it without blinking an eye when they feel the need.
I can go on and on. One person has tried to stop this player at all costs and plays every game to make sure the other doesn't win, even if he takes himself down with the other. Yeah, not fun. I once did say something when I was blamed for the other losing a game, as I threw the game because I was making stupid choices, yes, stupid I was told in my choices, that it hurt him so much he lost. He couldn't take the anger from me coming back at him and slam the door and left. The next time I talked to him, he acted if nothing happened that night. I didn't contact him for about a month after that incident. I think he is oblivious to the whole thing. I can't change him because he is perfect, even though there is a big consensus that he is not. When you find a solution to this, give me a holler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing we do to squealers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't really run into these very often in my group of friends. Thankfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wheatley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Hello
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What do you guys do with sore losers?

Quicklime and bleach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
mrouser wrote:

Send him to Detroit.

First thing I thought of too :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
quickfics wrote:
Quote:
What do you guys do with sore losers?

Quicklime and bleach.

Muriatic acid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wheatley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Hello
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
mrouser wrote:

Send him to Detroit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quickfics wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
mrouser wrote:

Send him to Detroit.

Don't forget Norberg goes to Detroit too...under a bus in Naked gun 2.5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
Bleu, Blanc, Rouge: Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité.
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy I play with can be a real pain in the behind when he loses. I never invite him back but he turns up every single time regardless. I really try to believe each time will be different, but it's not. He waltzes in during set up with unwarranted advice, sneers at my moves, questions my tactics and laments at his loss... the life of a solo player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wheatley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Hello
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanFR wrote:
The guy I play with can be a real pain in the behind when he loses. I never invite him back but he turns up every single time regardless. I really try to believe each time will be different, but it's not. He waltzes in during set up with unwarranted advice, sneers at my moves, questions my tactics and laments at his loss... the life of a solo player.

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanFR wrote:

I read it till the end before I knew what was coming. I usually predict movies jokes pretty consistently. I must be slow at this hour: 2am here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
Bleu, Blanc, Rouge: Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité.
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
SeanFR wrote:

I read it till the end before I knew what was coming. I usually predict movies jokes pretty consistently. I must be slow at this hour: 2am here.

Haha, how is that a movie joke? That is me with myself in real life (the other me is a total jerk ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Ashworth
United Kingdom
Todmorden
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Seriously, this is a big problem when the person either gloats on victory over others and then when losing, complains it was unfair or broken. It gets on my nerves because the people who do this are only there to win, not to have fun. Self-aware would be nice, but the ego gets in the way far too often.

Yes there lies my problem, our gaming group are very competitive when it comes to gaming, with it feeling more like a battle of wills instead of an actual game. With this, I feel like it's heading for a massive table flip, and then the group disbanding.
So I'm unsure what to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We used to go on games weekend with some friends a few years ago...I don't like to feel like a game of Pictionary is the World Championship... Intensive competition is one thing and getting upset once in a while after a heavy game, can happen even to the best of us...but to constantly adjust the way I play so as not to upset anyone - in and out of the game...just wasn't fun... We don't really hang with this group much anymore - in and out of games.

However, we have another group of friends that even in a serious game, we still have a relaxed but focused and fun time... Get us in a light, fun or silly party game and we have a great time too... And if someone gets upset and reacts before thinking you get apologies and you know it is not typical...

I'd walk away if you can now because it really isn't worth the stress and you will start not enjoying any games....I think that is central question to see why you play games and if you consistently aren't getting this due to the people you are playing with, then a change is needed. You can only always change yourself. You can try to advise others what you and others find but if they don't want to change - it will never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanFR wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
SeanFR wrote:

Haha, how is that a movie joke? That is me with myself in real life (the other me is a total jerk ).

What I meant was it was a joke from the start, but I didn't see it coming. With most jokes in movies now a days you can see the punchline coming long before it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.