Itsvan N
msg tools
Hey,

I am currently trying to get a first idea about how the board of my future game would should be designed. The game is in a medieval setting, and the board includes a map, and many smaller elements -some tracks, some small 'rules reminders', and some cards spots (for displaying different decks of cards, etc.).
Since the game is a solitaire one, I have quite an important use of cards sorted in different decks (in order to simulate the different ways that the AI interacts with the player).

Here comes my question : regarding the design of the board, I could include there some of the cards spots (for placing the most important decks) on the board, but probably not all of them. Does it make sense to have some cards spaces 'integrated' on the board, and some cards that have to be displayed outside of the board? Or, should then better be all the decks placed outside of the game board?

Maybe it does sound stupid -but I am not experienced in this sort of things, and I was wondering whether this is obviously something to avoid, or not automatically.

Thanks,
F.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend looking at published games that use a lot of cards and seeing what they do, and whether it works from a player's perspective. For instance,

Arkham Horror
Eldritch Horror
Runebound 2nd Edition
Runebound 3rd Edition
Darkest Night (especially with expansions)
Shadows Over Brimstone

etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've limited space on the board, perhaps you could have spaces at the edge showing where to put some or all of the decks.

The only example I can think of offhand is Pax Pamir, where the board is marked to show where to put the market cards:

I do find it a little off-putting when learning and playing a game if the board contains spaces for some components but not others (if there's no clear reason why that would be the case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:

I do find it a little off-putting when learning and playing a game if the board contains spaces for some components but not others (if there's no clear reason why that would be the case).

Indeed. One of the things people find the most confusing about Shadows over Camelot when I teach it is that there's no space for the discard of white and black cards on the board. There's a space for literally every other use of a card in the game - playing them against quests, draw piles, even a marked slot for tucking your loyalty card under your player board.

Some people even assume that since there's no space for a discard, discarded cards must go under the bottom of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O Connor
Ireland
sligo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a mixed approach on a few games, But i guess if its something very important in gameplay, like a space for an Event card that is prominent during play etc then maybe there should be a zone for it on the board. But the idea of edge placed Card zones is in a few games and quite nice. I guess it boils down to perhaps making a list of things that are the most important to be on your board, you don't want it too "busy", and then seeing how those can be incorporated without a loss to readability on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
Bleu, Blanc, Rouge: Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité.
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some great ideas and examples already here but another option is to have a separate organisational board with indications for the different decks. It could also include other relevant information pertaining to the cards and their use. I suppose it really is an extension of putting them all on a large inclusive board but at least the player could change the position on the table if they were two different items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itsvan N
msg tools
Thanks everyone for the answers, it is really helpful. I also find the example of Pax Pamir a very good alternative, and I totally agree that having a dedicated spot for some elements on the board, but not the others is a bit strange.

I don't like too much the idea of having a player aid with all possible deck of cards -it sorts of separates the decks from the board, to which they should be also 'geographically' related (but that's just me).

Many thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
floriannoack wrote:
I don't like too much the idea of having a player aid with all possible deck of cards -it sorts of separates the decks from the board, to which they should be also 'geographically' related (but that's just me).

The board for Ninjato also has the "markers for cards around the edges" approach. I do like that board as all the locations and the actions you take there fit well together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.