Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game a few times, but didn't really like it that much. It is too much of a slow burn for me. I appreciated the customization, but it takes too long to get your "squad" together. The gameplay itself is too slow for me to really feel like I am in a dogfight either.

I prefer the scale of Armada (capital ships with fighter squadrons), but the price tag on the new ships scares me away. What are some other good alternatives that I might consider?

EDIT: I should have more explicit that I don't care if this is a space combat game. Other tactical combat genres will be considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mentat
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it might sound funny, but for me it was the same thing. I tried X-Wing a few years back and was completely disappointed. Now I started with Star Trek Attack Wing, which is basically the same game, but it feels better and is way more fun.

This might be related to a very subjective preference of mine towards Star Trek, but it might also relate to the better missions, and the greater gameplay variety that Attack Wing offers. Here it might be the small differences that make a good/fun game out of a mediocre gamesystem.

Anyway, I would recommend trying out Attack Wing before considering to invest in this $-leeching kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmb
Star Trek: Attack Wing is a Star Trek themed variant.

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing has dragons instead of ships. It also apparently will have ground forces too.

Fleet Commander: 1 – Ignition is similar but quicker.

Duel in the Dark isn't exactly the same, but still has (in this case) WWII fighters and bombers. The board is beautiful and comes alive with all the moving pieces - including weather!

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories PackSounds like it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for. I play both it and X-Wing.

I play both casually, for me, half of X-Wing is in building your squadron and half is in how you fly. In Wings of Glory there is no customisation, you grab your plane and fly. That means there is more space in the rules for things like altitude, jammed guns and wounded gunners. Personally, I prefer it but it's easier to get X-Wing on the table.

The same guys designed Sails of Glory which is Napoleonic naval warfare. Big boats, broadsides, different types of shot. It's fun because you're always dealing with the wind and figuring out whether to focus on reloading the guns, changing the sails or putting out some fire!

Neither of the ...Glory games require nearly as much spend either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
Star Trek: Attack Wing is a Star Trek themed variant.

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing has dragons instead of ships. It also apparently will have ground forces too.

Fleet Commander: 1 – Ignition is similar but quicker.

Duel in the Dark isn't exactly the same, but still has (in this case) WWII fighters and bombers. The board is beautiful and comes alive with all the moving pieces - including weather!

Hope this helps.

I assume that Attack Wing and D&D Attack wing have basically the same gameplay? In which case, it doesn't really fix anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could save set up time by using the X-Wing Squadron Builder.

ETA: you can also quicken the pace by shrinking the playing area by 6 in on one side. It won't be a tournament game, but the manual allows players to experiment with the dimensions of the playspace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
I assume that Attack Wing and D&D Attack wing have basically the same gameplay? In which case, it doesn't really fix anything.

In Attack Wing you get to roll more dice, so squad building and finding synergies is even more important.

What does make X-Wing feel slow to you? Not getting shots at the enemy ships (need maneuvering practise), not landing hits quickly enough (use Target Lock and Focus), or downtime between ship activations / attacks?

(I have a bunch of pre-built squadrons to save in setup time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
dios_et_dios wrote:

In Attack Wing you get to roll more dice, so squad building and finding synergies is even more important.

What does make X-Wing feel slow to you? Not getting shots at the enemy ships (need maneuvering practise), not landing hits quickly enough (use Target Lock and Focus), or downtime between ship activations / attacks?

(I have a bunch of pre-built squadrons to save in setup time.)

My brother owns the copy of x-wing. Consequently, we don't prebuild our squadrons, and I can't really see myself doing that even if I owned it. The game itself just seems to move along at a snails pace. There is too much downtime between ship activations to make it feel like I am actually in a dogfight.

Plus, I prefer the capital ship + small fighter squadron scale. I would probably be all over Armada if it weren't so expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you aren't committed to getting a miniatures game, you might try Imperial Stars II, Federation Commander, or the upcoming Talon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
If you aren't committed to getting a miniatures game, you might try Imperial Stars II, Federation Commander, or the upcoming Talon.

I'm definitely not looking for a lifestyle game. More just a 2-player game that I can pull out and play in 30-45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
Bad Thoughts wrote:

I'm definitely not looking for a lifestyle game. More just a 2-player game that I can pull out and play in 30-45 minutes.

I'm not sure that there are many options for miniatures space fleet combat with miniatures that are inexpensive. Assuming you are going to buy a set for two people, Storm Zone is the two-play intro box for Firestorm Armada. It retails for $120, but the pieces are well designed and very detailed (moreso than FFG's), and you will get more ships.. You would have to paint them, but for personal use you could get away with simply cleaning, priming, and giving a single coat. You could also go cheaper: get two boxed fleets, which go for $38 at Miniature Market, and use the pdf rules that are available for free at Spartan Games.

Another option would be to wait for Dropfleet Commander, which should be out during the summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a fighter game, then Silent Death is an excellent choice.
It's more board gamey in that it uses a hex-based game mat.

A Star Wars version (the original version has its own story/ship designs) was released in a SW fan magazine a good time back. If you can track it down it's fast playing and has stats for all the older fighters up to the Millenium Falcon.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8410/star-wars-silent-de...

For capital ships I recommend GZG's Full Thrust.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3893/full-thrust

It's more involved, like Armada, but you can play smaller games with a handful of ships/side. The rules are a free download from GZG and you can stat up any models you have.
http://www.groundzerogames.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_i...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Full Thrust: the rules are free, and you can use any minis you want. You'll still have to design a squadron, but there isn't as much customization. (Unless you decide to design ships yourself, but that's not a requirement.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.