9 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple questions regarding gameplay.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a good time playing the game, but although it was close to the end, it seemed the zombie players felt like they were limited, and it did seem like I got all the lucky rolls the entire night..

Anyway here are some of my questions:

1) Is there a limit to the number of cards in the hero player hands? I know zombie players have a 4 hand limit (two each if it's two zombie players), but wondered about hero players

2) When a hero player is in a fight, they can use BOTH weapons that are equipped to them, yes? I had a good combo with Sally, with the chainsaw, and a baseball bat. What about this scenario... I roll 2 dice with Sally.. She also has the chainsaw so she rolls a third dice... none of the dice rolls beat the zombie player, so I roll the extra dice for the baseball bat... it wins.... Does the Chainsaw card's rule of 'if higher than zombie player, auto kills even without doubles' come into play even though it was the baseball bat that won?

3) Does anything happen if Zombie players roll doubles?
Somehow I was rolling doubles all night, and when I did, it would just shut down the zombie players immediately.

4)Do character powers, like Sally's LUCKY,apply only to HERSELF in a fight, or can she use her power to force a zombie to reroll that's fighting another hero in the same space?

5) Is there a limit to the number of event cards that can be played in a single turn? A couple times, we would play a card, then counter that card with another card.. In the final round, several cards were played immediately against each other, either cancelling effects or giving an extra die roll, etc, and then in the end, the zombies would have had the upper hand, but I played Jeb the Grease Monkey, which canceled the effect of the final card, allowing me to win. Is this correct, or can only one event card be played per turn?

6) When a hero fights more than one zombie or vice versa, in their space, there is no bonus to having having two on one, right? The rules seem to indicate that you just have to fight each of those zombies/heros one on one... is that right? So the idea that "we'll team up on this zombie/hero" doesn't really apply, yes?

7) (Added to another thread, but will ask here): Can zombie players swap cards with each other, from their hand? Can they play events for the others? Heroes can play events for each other, right?

8) Concerning 'Lights Out'. The zombie players felt that Lights out should also prevent searching, but the humans decided you could still rummage around in the dark even if you can't see well.. There is no searching restriction in Lights Out, right?

Also, with Lights Out, If you are in a space in a building that is adjacent to the outside and you wish to move out, is the movement limit not applying, or does your movement end into the next space, having gotten outside the building? The reason I ask is, some of these buildings are only about 4 spaces big, and if lights out doesn't apply to movement adjacent to the outdoor spot, then it's only useful on 1 or 2 spaces within the building. There was also a building that was only two spaces large with an exit on each space.. does lights out do NOTHING for this building? I feel like I'd house rule it to mean any movement into, inside of, OR OUT OF (but starting from inside of) is limited to one.. but I'd like to see your thoughts.

Fun game, but I think the zombie players felt short changed. We were playing the basic game and the die zombie die scenario, because it was the first time we played, and I got the impression the advanced game would be a lot more fun. Having reviewed a lot of rules on the forums here, I can see a couple situations where I shouldn't have been able to do what I did, and I just wanted to set things straight. The rule book is a little confusing.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game. Hope you enjoy it as much as my game group does. We love the storytelling aspect of it.

Hope I can help you with some of the questions.

Polioliolio wrote:
1) Is there a limit to the number of cards in the hero player hands? I know zombie players have a 4 hand limit (two each if it's two zombie players), but wondered about hero players

There is no limit to number of Event cards that any of the heroes can hold. Only Event cards are held in hand. Item cards are played in your board area near your hero card and is limited to four items, two of which can be one-handed weapons (a weapon is one-handed unless is says it's two handed). A hero may only carry one two-handed weapon to take up his two weapon slots.

Polioliolio wrote:
2) When a hero player is in a fight, they can use BOTH weapons that are equipped to them, yes? I had a good combo with Sally, with the chainsaw, and a baseball bat. What about this scenario... I roll 2 dice with Sally.. She also has the chainsaw so she rolls a third dice... none of the dice rolls beat the zombie player, so I roll the extra dice for the baseball bat... it wins.... Does the Chainsaw card's rule of 'if higher than zombie player, auto kills even without doubles' come into play even though it was the baseball bat that won?

Yes, the hero can use both of the weapons he is carrying. When a weapon adds Fight dice they all go into one Fight dice pool even if they're added after the initial roll. So, in your example, yes, die added by the bat will benefit from the chainsaws advantage.

Polioliolio wrote:
Somehow I was rolling doubles all night, and when I did, it would just shut down the zombie players immediately.

Nothing happens for the Zs on doubles. They are just looking to roll the highest roll.

Polioliolio wrote:
4)Do character powers, like Sally's LUCKY,apply only to HERSELF in a fight, or can she use her power to force a zombie to reroll that's fighting another hero in the same space?

It says on Sally's card under Lucky that she can only affect Zombie Fight dice rolled against her.

Polioliolio wrote:
5) Is there a limit to the number of event cards that can be played in a single turn? A couple times, we would play a card, then counter that card with another card.. In the final round, several cards were played immediately against each other, either cancelling effects or giving an extra die roll, etc, and then in the end, the zombies would have had the upper hand, but I played Jeb the Grease Monkey, which canceled the effect of the final card, allowing me to win. Is this correct, or can only one event card be played per turn?

There is no limit to the number of event cards that can be played by any player in a round or turn, etc. Every player (Hero and Zombie) could play every event card they are holding to exhaustion if they so choose.

Polioliolio wrote:
6) When a hero fights more than one zombie or vice versa, in their space, there is no bonus to having having two on one, right? The rules seem to indicate that you just have to fight each of those zombies/heros one on one... is that right? So the idea that "we'll team up on this zombie/hero" doesn't really apply, yes?

Fighting Zs with another hero in your space is different depending on which phase of the round your in. If you are in the Zombie phase you split up the Zs in the space evenly, or as close as possible. If two heroes are in a space with one Z, they decide which one has to fight the Z, but it is only one of them that has to fight. If curing the Hero phase each hero in the space will have to fight the Zs there, although one hero goes before the other so there may be fewer for the second hero to fight when the time comes.

Polioliolio wrote:
Fun game, but I think the zombie players felt short changed. We were playing the basic game and the die zombie die scenario, because it was the first time we played, and I got the impression the advanced game would be a lot more fun.

Wait till you get to some of the expansions and other stand alones. It only gets better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Edit: Ha! I typed this too slowly and got ninja by Chuck. )

Quote:
1) Is there a limit to the number of cards in the hero player hands?

No limit for hero cards when it comes to Event cards. However, each hero can only hold 4 Item cards, and only 2 of those can be Weapon cards.

Quote:
2) When a hero player is in a fight, they can use BOTH weapons that are equipped to them, yes?

Yes.

Quote:

Does the Chainsaw card's rule of 'if higher than zombie player, auto kills even without doubles' come into play even though it was the baseball bat that won?

Yes. Thematically it represents her using all her weapons together to defeat the zombie, even though the die from the bat was technically the "killing blow".

Quote:

Nothing special happens for zombie doubles.

Quote:

A hero's ability/power only applies to them personally, unless the hero power specifically says to use that power on another character or zombie. Sally can only use LUCKY on herself when she's fighting a zombie.

Quote:
5) Is there a limit to the number of event cards that can be played in a single turn? A couple times, we would play a card, then counter that card with another card.

The only real limit is that the Zombie player can only play a single FIGHT card per fight.

Some cards will limit when they can be played ("at start of turn", etc) but beyond that you can play a card, counter a card, counter that card, etc.

I usually play a card and ask if the heroes want to counter it before I resolve it. If people play cards at the same time I will try to resolve them in a fair manner, in a sequence that makes sense for everyone.

Quote:
The zombies would have had the upper hand, but I played Jeb the Grease Monkey, which canceled the effect of the final card, allowing me to win. Is this correct, or can only one event card be played per turn?

That seems correct to me. Imagine a scene in the movie where Jeb the Grease monkey rushes in to save the day for the heroes. It is a cheesy B-movie, after all. ;-)

Quote:
6) When a hero fights more than one zombie or vice versa, in their space, there is no bonus to having having two on one, right?
So the idea that "we'll team up on this zombie/hero" doesn't really apply, yes?

Correct, all fights are 1 on 1. However, some zombie cards will give a bonus if there are more than 1 zombie in the same square. Not to mention, if a hero has to fight 5 zombies in one round there is a greater chance he/she will be wounded or even killed in that turn.

If the hero ends their own move phase in a square with multiple zombies they must personally fight each zombie in the square.

If it's the zombie player's turn and he moves multiple zombies into a square containing two heroes then he must split the zombies up evenly between the two heroes to fight them.

Quote:
7) (Added to another thread, but will ask here): Can zombie players swap cards with each other, from their hand? Can they play events for the others? Heroes can play events for each other, right?

Correct.

Quote:
8) Concerning 'Lights Out'. The zombie players felt that Lights out should also prevent searching, but the humans decided you could still rummage around in the dark even if you can't see well.. There is no searching restriction in Lights Out, right?

There is no restriction to searching when Lights are Out, although you could always house rule it to stop searching if all agree.

If you start your turn adjacent to an exit you may move outside and continue the rest of your move. If you enter ANY space inside a Lights Out building you must stop immediately, even if the next move would take you out the door. So even a 1 space building will stop your movement if lights are out.

Die, Zombies, Die! is a decent way to get used to the rules, but it is not the best scenario to really experience the game. For the next one I'd recommend Escape in the Truck. It will have much more pressure on the heroes to find the keys and gas, rather than just killing zombies.

Also, I really recommend only having one zombie player and the other players controlling heroes. It seems like you had two zombie players and only one hero player controlling four characters, unless I'm reading that wrong... the game really was not designed to be played that way, imo.

Hope this helped!

Spence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think Lights Out should effect searching to some extent.. Maybe a house rule where searching can take place, but you have to commit to the action, then roll to see if you were able to find anything.

spencer_myers wrote:

Also, I really recommend only having one zombie player and the other players controlling heroes. It seems like you had two zombie players and only one hero player controlling four characters, unless I'm reading that wrong... the game really was not designed to be played that way, imo.

It was getting late and the other hero player had to leave because he worked early in the morning, so yes, I did end up taking all the heroes against two zombie players.

It may have also been you, but I saw in other threads, someone recommending not to do 2 zombie players, even in a 4 player game. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
It may have also been you, but I saw in other threads, someone recommending not to do 2 zombie players, even in a 4 player game. I'll keep that in mind.

Agreed. Having two Z players in any scenerio really waters it down for the Z players IMO.

What we've done in the past with a four player game is have one of the four heroes be a floater. Control of the floater moved from player to player each round so he was shared. If that hero drew event cards during its turn those cards went into the hand of the controlling player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:

Thank you!

Everyone else covered your questions pretty well, but just a quick note, doubles don't kill a zombie on their own. You need a higher die AND doubles to kill a zombie.

So, if a zombie rolls a 4, you would need a 5+, and then any pair of doubles. So, 5/5, or 5/1/1 would both kill the zombie, but a 1/1 means you lost the fight and take a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Polioliolio wrote:

Agreed. Having two Z players in any scenerio really waters it down for the Z players IMO.

What we've done in the past with a four player game is have one of the four heroes be a floater. Control of the floater moved from player to player each round so he was shared. If that hero drew event cards during its turn those cards went into the hand of the controlling player.

2 zombie players shouldn't water it down, and will normally help the zombies. You can churn(discard) cards twice as quickly, and you can more strategically place zombies in spawn pits. The only real downside are the handful of zombie cards that specify YOUR zombie instead of A zombie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I actually wasn't completely clear on that until even now.

First I thought doubles killed no matter what.. then I thought doubles killed, but your doubles have to be higher than the zombie roll... Now I understand that you just need one fight dice higher than the zombie roll, AND double of any kind.

Thank you! I've read the instructions on fights many times now, but I actually get it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
Thanks, I actually wasn't completely clear on that until even now.

First I thought doubles killed no matter what.. then I thought doubles killed, but your doubles have to be higher than the zombie roll... Now I understand that you just need one fight dice higher than the zombie roll, AND double of any kind.

Thank you! I've read the instructions on fights many times now, but I actually get it now.

Glad to help, happy zombie hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.