Carl Morlock
msg tools
There are a few cards in the deck that relate to the top X cards in your deck. Examples are (relevant parts only):

Telle - You may select 1 player. Peek at the top 3 cards if that players deck, discard any number of their cards, then return the rest to the top in any order.

Borg Brainwash - You each discard the top 3 cards of your deck and place the highest cost character card from each of your discard areas on this card.

The rules state that you shuffle your discard pile when you need to draw. So the question is:

If I have less than the amount of cards (say 2 instead of 3) would the affect only apply to the remaining cards in my deck? That is, Telle would look at 2 and Borg Brainwash would discard 2. Or would the discard deck be reshuffled and then reveal/discard the final card?

My thoughts are the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this question was ever answered by the designer, so unless Alex comes back to the forums it is unlikely you will ever get an official answer. I have seen deck builders that rule both ways, so its really up to you to decide how to address it.

I am more inclined to say that you do have to shuffle and reveal. The purpose of the Borg card is to simulate the Borg attacking your crew. Being able to dodge this card because your draw deck is empty seems a bit gamey and not thematic (although, you can also dodge this card if your top three cards are non-characters, so maybe that isn't the best argument).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Morlock
msg tools
Hey Thanks for replying.

davypi wrote:

I am more inclined to say that you do have to shuffle and reveal. The purpose of the Borg card is to simulate the Borg attacking your crew. Being able to dodge this card because your draw deck is empty seems a bit gamey and not thematic (although, you can also dodge this card if your top three cards are non-characters, so maybe that isn't the best argument).

I think shuffling your deck actually helps you get around this, especially with the Borg card. And keep in mind, it's not the highest cost character from those 3 cards, it's the highest cost character in your entire discard pile. In this example:
1: you discard two cards because you only have 2 left.
2: you shuffle your cards forming a brand new deck.
3: you flip one card, which may be a character, or not, however you now only have one card in your discard pile.

If you didn't shuffle, the borg card would effectively have your entire deck to pick a character to brainwash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. When I posted that, I was thinking of the Borg card in the base set that kidnaps people from the top of your deck. So whichever method you choose, its better one set and worse in the other since one attacks your deck and the other attacks your discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Morlock
msg tools
davypi wrote:
You are correct. When I posted that, I was thinking of the Borg card in the base set that kidnaps people from the top of your deck. So whichever method you choose, its better one set and worse in the other since one attacks your deck and the other attacks your discard.

Ah. Good point. I think we're going to opt for not shuffling your deck since it seems to affect more cards globally (positively and negatively).

Thanks for the responses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sonas
United States
California
flag msg tools
There is another problematic aspect to this issue, namely for the Ro Laren card that lets you discard a player's top two cards and then trash one of them. If you had to reshuffle after the first draw/discard, then you no longer have access to that first drawn card. It would have been better, similar to the Borg cards, to say something like "discard the top two cards, and then you may trash one of the two top cards on their discard pile". Or I suppose you could decide after the first draw that you wanted to trash that card, and then you proceed with shuffling and then drawing/discarding one more card. It all seems kind of clunky, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.