Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the differences between this game, the fantasy version Red Sand Black Moon: Fantasy Gladiatorial Combat, and board game implementation Heroes of the Colosseum?

I'm interested in gladiator games, familiar with some of Two Hour Wargames' other games, and already have some gladiator minis. What I would like to know is what the rules differences in the three games and what sort of things are included or left out of each version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
The board game includes counter and a chariot racing game.

The board game, RSBS, and RSBM use similar mechanics with RBSM being fantasy with creatures etc, while the board game and RSBS is strictly historical gladiators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the product descriptions of each game on your site and Lock n Load's. I'm hoping for something that goes beyond those, rather than a shorter summary.

Perhaps some specific questions might help. What is the difference in game play between RSBS and RSBM? Does anything differentiate an orc or elf from a roman, or is it just a change of name? Is it possible to play something that isn't basically human shaped in RSBM, and could that be used to add animals to RSBS? I'm guessing there is no campaign for a school or different locations in RSBM or HoC? It seems clear that HoC is not exactly the same rules as RSBS, so what was left out, was anything added, and what was changed? That's the sort of information I'd like to know, I'm sure I could come up with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can speak for the RS-BS system.
It is a great gladiator game with many options/decisions in combat.
If you like rolling a handful of dice this game is fun.

Once you learn the combat system you can get into a rhythm.

Plays solo, head to head or co-op

The game universe/setting is also very robust and flavorful.

When I asked the same question of Black Moon I was told it has a very similar combat system with fantasy elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
timlillig wrote:
I have read the product descriptions of each game on your site and Lock n
Load's. I'm hoping for something that goes beyond those, rather than a shorter summary.

Yes, questions is much better. Saves me from shooting blindly. :)

Perhaps some specific questions might help. What is the difference in game play between RSBS and RSBM? Maneuver and Attack Tables are the same except in RSBM there's more detail and specifics to account for the unique creatures and races not found in RSBS.Non-Player movement for RSBM is more involved as there are many more creatures than just humans. Does anything differentiate an orc or elf from a roman, or is it just a change of name? Tons of differences. There are over 30+ different races, creatures, and nationalities. Also 18 weapons instead of the four or so in RSBS. Is it possible to play something that isn't basically human shaped in RSBM, and could that be used to add animals to RSBS? There already are animals in RSBS - Lions, Tigers, etc.I'm guessing there is no campaign for a school or different locations in RSBM or HoC? Actually the campaign in RSBM is much more detailed than in either of the two RSBS or HOC. It has schools (troupes) as well as everything else.It seems clear that HoC is not exactly the same rules as RSBS, so what was left out, was anything added, and what was changed? The campaign schools etc. in RSBS wer left out of HoC. HOC is the board game version of the respective mini rules. There is a free download that adds it back in in the works though. If you're not against fantasy creatures, races, then RSBM is my choice as you could play an historical version from the info included, In fact the fantasy nation Tropilium is based on Rome so if you wanted toplay historical with RSBM, just use them. That's the sort of information I'd like to know, I'm sure I could come up with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.