Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I read the beginner rules a few minutes ago and now have some questions:

1. Break. If I have to move 18 fields, but because after 3 fields I'm blocked by other cars, do I have to spend 15 points to avoid a crash?

2. It's allowed to cross the lanes from the left one to the right one. But only once per move? I know zigzag is forbidden, but I'm talking about changing 2 lanes which is allowed. But how many times in a turn?

3. If someone in gear 5 or 6 rolled a 20 or a 30 everyone that is driving in gear 5 or 6 has to roll the black dice, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="GarfieldKlon"]Hi

I read the beginner rules a few minutes ago and now have some questions:[/quote]
I haven't played Formula D... only Formula De, but I'm willing to guess the answers will be the same.

Quote:
1. Break. If I have to move 18 fields, but because after 3 fields I'm blocked by other cars, do I have to spend 15 points to avoid a crash?

Yes, normally that would be the case, but in Formula De (at least) you are limited in the number of points you can spend due to a block. More than that and you are eliminated.

Quote:
2. It's allowed to cross the lanes from the left one to the right one. But only once per move? I know zigzag is forbidden, but I'm talking about changing 2 lanes which is allowed. But how many times in a turn?

Yes, you may only cross the lanes in a single direction one time. It doesn't all have to be done at once; i.e. you may go from the left lane to the center lane, travel a few space in the center lane, and then continue shifting into the right lane.
But other than a shift to go around an obstacle and back into the original lane, once you start moving either to the left or the right - you may only move in that direction.

Quote:
3. If someone in gear 5 or 6 rolled a 20 or a 30 everyone that is driving in gear 5 or 6 has to roll the black dice, correct?

Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. This is ONLY for when you are moving on the straights, not in the corners (where you are ok as long as you follow the arrows). And the easiest way to explain this rule is simply that from point A (where you started your turn/entered the straight) to point B (where you end your turn/leave the straight) you have to go the shortest route possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For number 1, you are correct for the beginners rules. In the advanced rules it becomes a bit more complicated. there is a chart as to what you lose for that which changes between the brakes, Tires, and transmission. If any one thing drops to zero points, you are eliminated in wither version.

You can try to avoid situations like the one you described by downshifting multiple gears before rolling, which also costs you some wear points, but usually far less than losing 15 from the example you gave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, make sure that cars are taking turns in order, starting with the lead car and ending with the last car in the rear. It's almost impossible to be in the situation from your #1 example, where 3 cars in front of you moved only 0-2 spaces, clogging the track, while you are rolling in 5th gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx, next questions

4. Can there be collisions during the start, before crossing the finish line?

5. If I exit a turn I must continue driving on that lane, I'm not allowed to switch lanes, correct? If I exit a turn and enter another turn, can I switch lanes in the turn with the same die roll?

6. Imagine turn A (2 mandatory stops) and turn B (1 mandatory stop)
My car is in turn A and has stopped once so far. Next die roll is so high, that I can't stop a second time in turn A and I directly entering turn B. Did I understand it correct, that this stop in B doesn't count and I have to spend some of the points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. of course

5. No, if you OVERSHOOT a stop, then you can't change lanes on the rest of that move after leaving the last corner space (following the arrow). The first space without an arrow that you overshoot into, is the lane you have to move for the rest of THAT TURN.

6. Absolutely. You just overshot Turn A with a lot of spaces, which cost you (tire) WP. And this was your 2nd stop in Turn A (even if it physically didn't end there, that's still what it is), so you have not yet had a stop in Turn B. You can't "skip" stops (as that would eliminate you), and you never count a stop for two corners at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5. Does this only apply when I overshoot a stop? If I don't overshoot I can switch the lane after leaving a corner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
5. Does this only apply when I overshoot a stop? If I don't overshoot I can switch the lane after leaving a corner?

Absolutely, but you of course still have to abide by the "no zig-zag" rule on the straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7. Weather. One row down/up if you roll the black die. I don't understand that mechanism. Just moving it left/right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I give, why in the heck is there even this silly "No zig-zags" rule in the first place? You can change lanes unlimited in corners; you can change lanes unlimited with slipstreaming; but for god's sake, don't zig-zag on straits ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Ok, I give, why in the heck is there even this silly "No zig-zags" rule in the first place? You can change lanes unlimited in corners; you can change lanes unlimited with slipstreaming; but for god's sake, don't zig-zag on straits ?

You can change lanes unlimited in corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you follow the arrows, I believe so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:

Because it'd negate the need to gear up/down on many occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
As long as you follow the arrows, I believe so.

Yes, as long as you follow the arrows. Normally it's not possible to prolong the track you have to drive this way, normally the arrows lead to a shorter path.
Doing zig-zag on straits prolongs your way and this is why it's forbidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.