Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invitations have already been sent out to celebrate all of the hard work Mr. Jackson has done for us. Everyone's invited to the party, unless you'd like to keep it casual, in which case he'll be around for as long as you prefer.

There will be other notable departures as well, as Caprice Nisei, Elizabeth Mills and Isabel McGuire also move on to other career paths and success. Isabel who? Never mind- she was in human resources.

Around this time, the global pool will be thinned as the Spin and Genesis cycles are also retired. A number of accounts, contracts and teams will also be dissolved to make way for new business plans. It's difficult to contemplate how we will be able to continue all the things Jackson did for us. While we will have fond memories of his many accomplishments, it's also important to remember that there was a time before he became such a frequent contributor to our plans. And to be perfectly honest, as a favorite employee of Victoria Jenkins (don't worry, she's here to stay), he wasn't very neutral about sharing his talents.

Jackson helped us find our cards, provided disaster relief when agenda floods occurred and helped fill our R&D with stuff we wished never got thrown out. So let's take a moment to review the measures in place to fulfill his roles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re72di5phM0

Actually, there are a few people left who can help us with card draw exercises:

"Psst! Hey buddy, want some cards?"

"This way, please. Watch that extra click."

"Your place or mine?"

"Why does everyone confuse me for Rachael Ray?"

And to filter our archives we have:

"Guilty. You are hereby sentenced to exile in the Phantom Zone."

Not as useful as you may think...

However, like Mr. Jackson himself, most of these useful functions aren't neutral, and easy access to them in not assured. But our next business cycle will see some new help.

"Don't push me yet! Krusty is coming, Krusty is coming, Krusty is coming..."

As we expand our horizons to the Indian Union, we'll have an opportunity to work with groups that help replace what Jackson provided for so long.

"I offer efficient card draw- if you're playing Haas and can score me..."

"I'll help you protect vulnerable agendas, but only if they're in HQ..."

"Sure I can get you that fourth card- but wouldn't you rather use me for fast-advance?"

Some options haven't yet been formalized in Mumbad, and there will be many cycles of expected growth. For the foreseeable future, we will continue to have some issues with agenda management and general recursion. Hopefully, Mr. Stone from our Advanced Research Projects will be able to complete some designs for more recursive ICE (neutral this time?) or other effects that will help protect agendas that haven't reached maturity. In many ways, Stone is more important to the health of our corporation than Jackson ever was.

In the meantime, let's do it like we used to before Howard got hired- ice up the archives and pray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You do realise two of the cards linked are Spin cards and cycle out with Jackson, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobin Lopes
United States
Thornton
Dark Side of the Moon
flag msg tools
Serving the Emperor since 1971
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't put Jacko in the ground or a retirement home just yet. Mumbad is only Cycle 5. There are still two to be released before rotation is triggered.

I've been tracking the timeline between announcement to release since JH was originally released. Using averages (based on dates on the "Upcoming" pages) for each step after announcement (at printer, on boat, shipping to distributors, in stores) my guess is that the Data Pack 8.1 (which, when it hits stores will trigger rotation) won't even be announced until August 2017 (!!!) which would mean a 1Q 2018 release. And that's only if FFG can even meet the averages. If things slow down even more it'll be longer.

Now, the Upcoming page is infamous for being inconsistent, but that's why I've used averages. Also, FFG's forthcoming release of deluxe expansions "when they're ready" instead of the 6+1 model they've used may change things and make them faster. However, the deluxe expansions aren't connected to rotation - only the release of the data/war/chapter packs are.

So, as interesting as rotation is, it won't be coming for at least another 18 months (conservatively).

Thanks for the ideas. I might have to try them out now.

-tpl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In several interviews Damon has said that there is a replacement for Jackson planned. It will do a similar effect (protect Archives and HQ) but NOT in the same way. More importantly, it will NOT have the instant speed that Jackson has. I guess we will see that card in the first AP of the cycle that rotates him out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
In several interviews Damon has said that there is a replacement for Jackson planned. It will do a similar effect (protect Archives and HQ) but NOT in the same way. More importantly, it will NOT have the instant speed that Jackson has. I guess we will see that card in the first AP of the cycle that rotates him out.

Can't imagine how it will work not being instant, I guess I am reluctant just because I do love instant speed and it seems that Damon does not... we will see what kind of effect replaces Jackson.

On the other hand Jackson will be around us till 2018, so don't kill him yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he also said that we won't get a card that does so much in one card. we'll likely get cards that just do one thing, like many of the cards listed in the OP

i also don't think we'll necessarily get a card the second Jackson rotates out.

Shannon Claire and Lily Lockwell are both cards that have come out since Jackson, do very similar Jackson things, that will never rotate, and they're already here. we'll probably get some more before he rotates as well, just not as powerful. so as soon as he's gone, we can just start using a bunch of cards we've been skipping over for the next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Painter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

As long as there's no replacement for Caprice, I don't care. In fact, I'd like to see all Psi-game cards cycle out forever, but I reserve a special hate for Caprice. I hate her not because she hates us, but because she is incapable of good, honest, human hatred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Psi's in H&P mean they're here forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spaint2k wrote:
I hate her not because she hates us, but because she is incapable of good, honest, human hatred.

Crush all filthy golem scum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Painter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trenzor wrote:
Three Psi's in H&P mean they're here forever.

Doesn't mean I can't wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.