Popular Tags: [View All]
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After just getting the villains expansion, I was curious if you play with both sidekicks and new recruits or if you pick one or the other?

Also, do you randomly pick between madame hydra and shield officer? Obviously madame is way worse, so you would prefer shield officers.

And the same thing goes for bindings and wounds. Is it random or do you combine them?

Obviously you pick either hydra or shield to start with either way, but it seemed ambiguous how to combine everything else.

Lastly, the boards are reversed. If a hero refers to something in the rooftops, but you play with the villains board, does it still mean specifically the rooftops or the location of the rooftops in the base game?

Sorry if this has been asked, I couldnt find it on the base game forum, nor in the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a few discussions along these lines. Only one of your questions that I think has a definite answer is the last one. If a card says Rooftops, it means the space named Rootops, no matter which number spot that is in your City. On the rest... most recent similar discussion of it in which I gave my answer is here. Hope that helps.

EDIT: Oh, I disagree that Madame Hydra is obviously worse. Dodge and even the Discard requirement can be pretty useful with the right set of cards. As with most things Legendary, it depends on the entire setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these are answered on page 21 of the Villains rule book.

In short, use all the cards. Use whichever board you want, but if a hero's scheme or villain's plot mentions a specific city space, use that board. Wounds and Bindings are distinct; they have separate stacks. Your starting deck (SHIELD/HYDRA) is up to you.

Madame Hydra is way better than Maria Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:

In short, use all the cards. Use whichever board you want, but if a hero's scheme or villain's plot mentions a specific city space, use that board. Wounds and Bindings are distinct; they have separate stacks. Your starting deck (SHIELD/HYDRA) is up to you.

How is she better? She makes you discard a card. Essentially giving a hand of 4, unless you are playing with a very few select cards that make you not discard when that happens. But that's just me. I have to try it out.

I see that someone suggested just adding wounds and binding together. Also, villains is before secret wars so, I'm not sure how that answers the sidekicks question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:
TravelSized wrote:

How is she better? She makes you discard a card. Essentially giving a hand of 4, unless you are playing with a very few select cards that make you not discard when that happens. But that's just me. I have to try it out.

I see that someone suggested just adding wounds and binding together. Also, villains is before secret wars so, I'm not sure how that answers the sidekicks question.

Madame Hydra is not a dead card in your latter turns. It's as if you had never had, unlike Maria Hill, with which you are stuck until you get the choice of KOing her. And unless you play a ridiculously easy scenario, you will be stuck with Maria Hill since you will always have something of lower value (The starting cards, wounds) to KO.
Madame Hydra is superior thus because of that little Dodge word. Furthermore, by dodging she empowers a couple of characters, the one who comes to my mind right now being Green Goblin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have missed the Dodge wording. That would make her a little better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use all the cards, including Sidekicks. The rule say use Madame Hydra and Maria Hill. Since Sidekicks and New Recruits are distinct stacks, there's no reason not to use them both. They are simply available in your games if you want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually avoid setups that require both HYDRA and SHIELD affiliations. For instance, I would not play a game in which both Nick Fury and Skadi were in the hero deck, or in which Ultron and Elsa Bloodstone were in play.
I use alternatively both boards: when I play with SHIELD, I use the Heroic board, when I play with HYDRA the villains mat. I use new recruits/madame hydra on the villains mat and sidekicks/shield officers on the heroes board. i do not use all of them because they would make the game a lot easier - especially since new recruits do not have the 1 per turn limit as Sidekicks. If, for instance, Green Goblin shows up when I use SHIELD, I simply mentally substitute SHIELD for Hydra and it does not affect the gameplay. Of course, it all depends on avoiding scenarios where 2 characters are in play that use HYDRA and SHIELD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M. Cabal Inés
Spain
Oviedo
Principado de Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We created our custom mat (dual villain/heroes) with places for both wounds and bindings and a place for Viper than now we use for Sidekicks because we use Hydra Officers for the Mastermind player. The places have both names (HQ-Lair, Mastermind-Commander...) except the city that have the hero names and when playing with villians we play backwards (from the escape zone to the sewers).

My brother did a great job photoshopping the villain new spaces (recruits, Viper, Bindings...) in the hero mat (in the others we prefer hero base because the game is most superheroic oriented) and labeling dual all of them. We printed in a kitchen doormat very cheap and it was a great idea.

Until SW1 I didn't think Viper was very useful for heroes but with some mechanics in Fear Itself and other that take into account drawn or discarded cards could be very powerful and help to keep recruits and sidekicks when you prefer the 2 recruit points instead spend them.

I think that the Mastermind player option give us a good excuse to play more villians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.