Popular Tags: [View All]
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to double check that we are doing this correctly...I find the wording in the rules a little confusing and my Summoner Wars background may be doing more harm than good in this case.

When a hero uses a special ability (megaphone), it still counts as an attack for purposes of interacting with other cards, right?

Quote:
ATTACK POWERS: Some heroes (especially rear heroes) have special powers that occur instead of attacking.

OK, instead of attacking makes me think this is like Summoner Wars, where using an ability, even one that deals damage, is NOT considered the same as attacking unless the card says something like "When attacking normally...".

But the rules continue...

Quote:
These are optional alternate attacks that can be used in place of a melee or ranged attack. They still count as attacks [my italics], so you can’t use them more than once in a turn, and the same hero cannot use both their attack power and a melee/ranged attack.

OK, so they DO count as "attacks" for purposes of interpreting other cards. So if the Diabolist uses the green ability on a Vanguard hero [Attack: Clear a corpse. If you did, apply 3 damage to any hero.], then that would interact with the Tactician's blue effect [All of your Vanguard heroes take 2 less damage from attacks] and the 3 damage would become only 1 damage. Correct?

The fact that the Diabolist card actually SAYS "Attack" helps a lot, and I figure the Tactician's thing would trigger after all. (Part of me just sees the wording "APPLY 3 damage" and thinks that implies "ability-related damage" instead of attack-related damage.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack powers count as your attack in that you cannot attack if you use an Attack Power. They do not count for abilities that care about attacks like Tactician's blue effect. Current versions of PT have changed "Attack Powers"to "Spells" to alleviate any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, so I'm actually wrong! Thanks so much Ithry!!! thumbsup

Looks like we'll have to toss some of those old rulebooks. We had a bazillion anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.