Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: what catagory of game am I missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hazelnutbreve
United States
Farmville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I have a few board games and want to start having game nights with some of his co-workers I am not 100% clear on what games fall into what catagory. Euro, party, war, etc.... I would like to make sure we have at least one from each catagory, to be able to suit anyone's taste.

We have:
Three Dragon Ante
Monster Fluxx
Pirate Fluxx
Dungeons and Dragons Clue
Walk the Dogs
Last Night On Earth
Settlers of Catan with 5-6 player expansion
Power Grid
Tsuro
Dixit Journey


What are we missing? Thanks.

Edit: We also have Risk 2210 (It is not my husband's favorite version of risk though, so I kind want to replace this one with a different one)




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have traitor or hidden team games.

From short to long, we play:
ONUWW (10min, best with 4+), Resistance (30min, 5+), Room 25 (30min, suspicion mode for 4-6p), Battlestar Galactica (2-4 hours, best with 5).

Also the classic hidden role selection game: Citadels.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You miss legendary - a marvel deckbuilding game, best deckbuilding game so far.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Worker placement - Lords of Waterdeep / Kingsburg / Champions of Midgard / Stone Age

Deck builder - Dominion / Eminent Domain

Drafting - 7 Wonders / Among the Stars
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with either Last Night on Earth or Walk the Dogs (n.b. I've heard of the former, but not the latter), but I believe you're missing a cooperative game. Pandemic is the "classic" rookie's cooperative game, but there are scads of others. (Because most of my play is with kids, I find Pandemic too unforgiving, and prefer either Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert.)

You seem to be heavy on party/social type games among the two Fluxx versions and Dixit.

The new Star Wars Risk has good buzz.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Worker Placement - Agricola / Caverna: The Cave Farmers / Belfort / Keyflower (Auction + Worker Placement)

Dice Placement - Troyes / The Voyages of Marco Polo / Kingsburg

Drafting - Among the Stars / 7 Wonders / At the Gates of Loyang / Suburbia

Deckbuilder - Dominion / Eminent Domain / Star Realms

Area Control / Tile Laying - Terra Mystica / Subdivision / Galaxy Trucker

Engine Builder - San Juan / Puerto Rico / Roll for the Galaxy / Race for the Galaxy / Splendor

Auction - Fleet: Arctic Bounty / Strasbourg /

Mancala - Trajan / Five Tribes

EuroCombat - Eclipse
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Worker Placement - Agricola / Caverna: The Cave Farmers / Belfort / Keyflower (Auction + Worker Placement)

Dice Placement - Troyes / The Voyages of Marco Polo / Kingsburg

Drafting - Among the Stars / 7 Wonders / At the Gates of Loyang / Suburbia

Deckbuilder - Dominion / Eminent Domain / Star Realms

Area Control / Tile Laying - Terra Mystica / Subdivision / Galaxy Trucker

Engine Builder - San Juan / Puerto Rico / Roll for the Galaxy / Race for the Galaxy / Splendor

Auction - Fleet: Arctic Bounty / Strasbourg /

Mancala - Trajan / Five Tribes

EuroCombat - Eclipse


I do not understand why people recommend Dominion. she obviously wants as many diverse games as possible, and choosing Dominion as a deckbuilder makes no sense. Do not listen please to these people. Dominion was good at its time, but now are much better games than it. Similar to it but much better are the Legendary games (Legendary Marvel, Villains, Encounters, Predator), Thunderstone advance, Ascension.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Party Game: Wits & Wagers It is a trivia game where you don't need to know the right answer. Mostly, no one will know the exact right answer. It's all about betting your money on who you think has closest to the correct answer.

Another good one for up to 8 players is Diamant

And if you want something chilled out, try Qwirkle. It's basically scrabble, but with colors and symbols.

Colt Express is also a fantastic little game about programming your actions ahead of time and then watching unpredictability ensue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bailey
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since some other good ones have already been listed, I'll just add in a couple categories.

Dexterity;
Crokinole
Flick 'em Up!
Tumblin-Dice
Rhino Hero

Party:
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Codenames
Concept
The Resistance: Avalon
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hazelnutbreve
United States
Farmville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
You don't have traitor or hidden team games.

From short to long, we play:
ONUWW (10min, best with 4+), Resistance (30min, 5+), Room 25 (30min, suspicion mode for 4-6p), Battlestar Galactica (2-4 hours, best with 5).

Also the classic hidden role selection game: Citadels.


I agree, a traitor game would be a good addition to our collection. I have been looking at the Werewolf games. There are so many versions I was confused. Thank you for specifying which one you use. That helps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
sao123 wrote:
Worker Placement - Agricola / Caverna: The Cave Farmers / Belfort / Keyflower (Auction + Worker Placement)

Dice Placement - Troyes / The Voyages of Marco Polo / Kingsburg

Drafting - Among the Stars / 7 Wonders / At the Gates of Loyang / Suburbia

Deckbuilder - Dominion / Eminent Domain / Star Realms

Area Control / Tile Laying - Terra Mystica / Subdivision / Galaxy Trucker

Engine Builder - San Juan / Puerto Rico / Roll for the Galaxy / Race for the Galaxy / Splendor

Auction - Fleet: Arctic Bounty / Strasbourg /

Mancala - Trajan / Five Tribes

EuroCombat - Eclipse


I do not understand why people recommend Dominion. she obviously wants as many diverse games as possible, and choosing Dominion as a deckbuilder makes no sense. Do not listen please to these people. Dominion was good at its time, but now are much better games than it. Similar to it but much better are the Legendary games (Legendary Marvel, Villains, Encounters, Predator), Thunderstone advance, Ascension.


My group has the entire legendary series, the entire original (non-advanced) thunderstone set, and the entire Ascension set, and we still think that dominion is the better game. Its not even close.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:


I do not understand why people recommend Dominion. she obviously wants as many diverse games as possible, and choosing Dominion as a deckbuilder makes no sense. Do not listen please to these people. Dominion was good at its time, but now are much better games than it. Similar to it but much better are the Legendary games (Legendary Marvel, Villains, Encounters, Predator), Thunderstone advance, Ascension.


My group has the entire legendary series, the entire original (non-advanced) thunderstone set, and the entire Ascension set, and we still think that dominion is the better game. Its not even close.


Also, people are free to recommend Dominion as a person's first deck building game. It's still a great game, even if other games have some different things with the deck building genre. It's like when people feel nobody should recommend Settlers of Catan anymore. For somebody building their collection and being introduced to new games, Catan is a good addition, just like Dominion.

Dominion still stands as my favorite deck builder, even though some others hit my table more often. I really enjoy the DC Deck Building Game w/Crisis expansion, making it cooperative. Totally different than Dominion, but doesn't take away from the fact it is a classic game I'll always play.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
You need Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game, it does hidden objectives, co op and confrontation. It's also amazing.

Also, I would say Escape: The Curse of the Temple for something a bit quick, shouty and fun, and also Codenames or Monikers for some good team fun.

Definitely +1 to One Night Ultimate Werewolf as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.