Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan Daugherty
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had about five person read the rule book and we've all come to the same conclusion. When the book marker moves along the monster track, that means a player's turn, right? When a player does their recuperation phase, they pass the player marker to their left and then you move the book marker. However, in a five player game, this often ends up with the last person not being able to do much of anything except prepare.

My assumption would be that the "first player" would move after each monster is resolved so one person isn't always first and one isn't always last. Is this not the case? did we interpret it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we played it. I guess 5 players would be a bummer. Just have to make use of the "give other players actions" spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Daugherty
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably gonna house rule the first player moves such as in Arkham Horror. Brian got pretty bored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our 5 player games we played as described. Then we house ruled to pass the first player position during the new monster phase. I liked it better that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that in 5 players each player will always have the same monster round for their turn.

We've found the game is not very enjoyable at 5 players. It tends to drag and it gets very predictable as to who is doing what because they're always in the same order. You will get a total of 6 turns throughout the entire game (assuming you don't get eliminated earlier) which means a lot of the game is just screaming and dealing with whatever crisis is happening right now. You don't really get to improve your deck/spells very much. In general the game seems to be harder with more people due to those reasons.

I would highly recommend Big Book of Madness for 2-4 people (and so would my group, it's particularly good with 2-3, making it a rather odd duck so far as co-op games are concerned) but we avoid it at 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
The official recommended variant to remedy this is:

In 5 players only, the last player of each round is also the first player of next round. Therefore she has two consecutive turns, first with Invocation marker on 5 and then another turn straight away, with a new Monster and Invocation on 1.

This wasn't included as a rule, because it was considered to needlessly complicate the turn order, but you might try it out, if you find the "constant first player" to be a game-breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a variant that does away with the clockwise turn order altogether in favor of a variable turn order where players get to choose when they want to take their turn. The only condition is that a player is not allowed to take another turn until everyone has taken a turn. I suspect that the clockwise turn order was put in place for simplicity purposes. A variable turn order makes much more sense thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
I suspect that the clockwise turn order was put in place for simplicity purposes. A variable turn order makes much more sense thematically.
You're actually right, Maxime changed this halfway through developing the game. But we really can't guarantee balance if you don't follow clockwise order. The game might become too easy or too much of a brain burner… whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.