Subject: Solo Game against the Corpse King with one hero! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
So...having played solo and faced Margath with each different hreo (and won with all of them, eventually) I'm now looking to tweak the game so I can play against the Corpse King in the same way.

Tried it twice playing by the normal rules and died without a hope of winning. So I thought I'd adjust the game a little to see if I can make it work. Only played it once more, so far, and decided to give the hero 5 movement dice for the whole game. Worked well in terms of moving around quickly and killing the zombies but by the time I took on the Corpse King he was still at 15 health which was just too much to take him down.

The problem isn't earning money for upgrades, the problem is you have very little time to adventure so you don't learn many skill cards...and they can be crucial when it comes to taking down the boss!

Anyway, I'm going to keep with the 5 movement dice...but I'm looking for suggestions anyone might have to tweak it further so it would be playable with just one hero! Looking forward to ideas!
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could try doubling the length of Act II so that you have more time to run around.

Once you flip the time token over and place it back at the beginning of the time track, place a story token on it.

At the end of each round, check if there is a story token on the time token:
* If there is, discard the story token, but do not move the time token.
* If there is not, move the time token as normal, then place a story token on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try spawning only one zombie when a story card card calls for it.

If a story card tells you to spawn zombies in several locations(like all shrines), roll 3 movement dice, and assign 3 zombies to locations that share the terrain types on the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
Both good ideas guys, thanks. It also just dawned on me that I could make Adventuring a 1 action event instead of two...and that might help too.
Back to the game board now I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I have done is equip my guy before sending him out. The extra movement and an extra token to start might help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How has this gone? Any progress or success with it? Come up with any new house rules or variants to make it playable with just 1 hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
How has this gone? Any progress or success with it? Come up with any new house rules or variants to make it playable with just 1 hero?

Finally got back to the table to test this solo again...and along with having 5 dice for movement I added being able to Adventure for one action instead of two...and it worked great! It meant I was able to learn several skills which, as always, made a big difference in the end result.

I played Lyssa...whose combat ability is to roll her movement in combat and give damage on each dice that matches the terrain she's on. Not wanting to mess with the system too much, I only rolled her allowed 3 dice in combat (I only wanted the 5 dice for speed, not to mess with combat). Now, I did eventually purchase a movement card which gave me two more dice, but that's one of the things you have to try and get with Lyssa.

Anyway...I fought the Corpse King in the second to last round. I had gained one health...so she came in with 10 but the zombie in with the King took her down to 8. I didn't want to spend another turn healing up because I knew there was likely to be 2-5 more zombies added to the board if I did. There were 9 zombies on the board, so the Kings health was 19. I had 2 companions, so it was 15. I also had a weapon that gave 2 damage when I engaged a foe...so he was at 13 in the end.

He got initiative on the first round and rolled blanks and skulls for 6 damage. My roll was pretty sad...but I did have two shields...so I took 4 damage and was reduced to 4 life. I used Lyssa's ability twice (I had the skill 'Inner Fire' which allowed me to exert and use it a second time). Did two damage the first time (I had to roll 'hills' remember) which was reduced to 1 damage by his shield. My second roll caused 3 damage. I had one magical damage left and he was now down to 7.

I really needed to get initiative to survive...and fortunately I did. He rolled 5 skulls...one of them a double...so I made him recast the double. It came down on the surge...which meant my game wasn't over. He attacked with 3, I shielded one...and I was down to 2 health. I used Lyssa's ability...and got an amazing 5 hits! Hills on all dice...not even a wild dice among them! so he was down to 2 health. He used the surge to heal one and give one damage...putting him at 3 health and me at 1. Then he was all out of actions. I exerted to use Lyssa's ability again...and she got 3 hits...and he was defeated.

So...the answer is, the Corps King CAN be taken on by one hero! Yes I got lucky with the 5 hits...but hey...that's the way it goes. Now I'll try some of the other heroes to see how they fare.
Great fun...and it only took an hour!

If anyone else tries this...do let me know how you get on. Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for sharing this! I enjoyed reading it.

So when you were playing solo with the Margarth scenario did you have to make any changes like this or could you play with the original rules with 1 player and a good challenge or did you have to adjust anything?

So basically the only things that you change for the Corpse King scenario is giving the hero 5 movement dice (benefit for movement only) and reduce the cost of adventuring to 1 action and were able to keep everything else the same? Let us know how it goes with other heroes and I am glad to hear it plays in under an hour!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played many times solo against the dragon and it works just fine with the original rules. The 2nd scenario doesn't scale well as you get the same number of zombies with 4 players as you do with one, so if you solo that as per the original rules, it's really impossible at the end as the Undead King has 20+ health. It seems like there should have been some mechanism to take into account how many players like add at most N+1 zombies where N is the number of players, or something.

And thanks again for these ideas on how to 'fix' that 2nd scenario for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing this! I enjoyed reading it.

So when you were playing solo with the Margarth scenario did you have to make any changes like this or could you play with the original rules with 1 player and a good challenge or did you have to adjust anything?

So basically the only things that you change for the Corpse King scenario is giving the hero 5 movement dice (benefit for movement only) and reduce the cost of adventuring to 1 action and were able to keep everything else the same? Let us know how it goes with other heroes and I am glad to hear it plays in under an hour!

Michael

Hi Michael,
Yes you can play against Margath with the original rules. It worked really well.
And I just finished another solo play through against the Corpse King with only the two rules changes re. movement and adventuring. I won again, this time with Laurel. I had two great skills (Puppet Master and Brutality - oh, and Hardy = +1 health) and three assets: Wild fur, Claw Hand and Truesight Bow. Took him on in the last but one round again...and this time there were 10 zombies left on the board. I had 3 companions...so he was down to 14 and my Bow took him down to 12. I was at 11 with the 3 extra health from Hardy and Wild Fur.
Not being able to block any of my axe hits (Brutality's ability) meant his shields were useless...so I defeated him in two rounds. Being able to take out one of his tokens with the Puppet Master ability made a huge difference. I had 4 health left once he was defeated.

I'll keep testing this with the other hero's...but I think I've hit the sweet spot for solo play in this scenario. You could make it even tougher by allowing only 4 dice for movement, I guess...but for now I'll stick with 5.
I'm really enjoying how smoothly the game plays. Great stuff. Oh, and it came in around the hour mark again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

Thanks for the clarifications and the session report. I received this as a gift for Christmas and have meant to play it, but unfortunately have been working 80 plus hour work weeks the last few weeks so everything has been put on hold. I am looking forward to it and especially being able to solo it in about an hour given my current tight schedule.

Have you ever lost Margarth playing solo? Do you feel that there is enough tension with the time track?

I suppose if you win with each hero on your first try with the corpse king using those 2 rules the difficulty might need to be tweaked somehow..

Let us know!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michael,
Yes I lost to Margath several times before managing to beat him with each of the hero's. As for the Corps King, I just finished my third solo game (45 minutes) using Elder Mok, and I won again...but don't be put off by the fact I've won three times in a row. I only had one health left again this time, and it I could easily have lost two of the last three games. It came down to the wire...and in this instance, the turn of a card...which is how you want games to be. So I don't think it's overpowered to be able to move with 5 dice and adventure for 1 action.

Mok had Heroic Blade and Scrying Orb (+1 spirit) as assets, and Stalwart (+3 health) and Revelation (+2 spirit) for skills. I went for 'spirit' because of Mok's surge ability. I also managed to get 4 companions this time...so the King started with 18 health,and was reduced to 10. I was at 12.

If I hadn't rolled a surge on my last throw, I wouldn't have been able to use Mok's ability, and I would have lost. I need to get three successes turning over 6 skill cards. Got the 3rd one on the last card.
It works! Hope you manage to squeeze some time in somewhere to relax and give this a shot. 80 hours a week! You need a break my friend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the feedback and for the words of encouragement. I DEFINITELY do need a break, but still have mountains of work to get through the next few weeks. On a side note, how do you feel about "playing against yourself" in combat. Any problems with that??? I know a lot of people had issues with that. I was actually toying with the idea of creating a simple A.I. back when I thought I was going to have more free time for folks who want more guidance and do not like the idea of "playing against themselves" I had also toyed with the idea of assigning dice values to the various combat tokens to make it more cut and dry for solo play, but I feel that would be a pretty big undertaking and might take away from some of the cool aspects of the tokens.

Take care,

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any problem playing against myself. I simply put myself into the enemy's shoes and do what I think would be the most harmful thing (which is what another player would do). Of course I could cheat and not do that...but I don't really see the point of winning a game by cheating! I don't think it needs an AI...you simply need to be ruthless against yourself.
Why I think it works is that all combat information is open...so another player is able to see every possible action I can take...even if he doesn't know what I'm thinking of doing next...and he would do what would be the most damaging, whether that is to get me to recast a token, flip one of his own, use a surge ability, or just attack and do damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree playing the enemy combat tokens against yourself, for the enemy's best benefit is fun in itself.

Like little chess matches. You know all the possibilities, so there isn't any hidden info. Yet, because of the nature of the flips, there still is a bit of random chaos, where you never know what will happen until it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
On another thread, a poster suggested:
"When playing 2 characters in the Corpse King scenario we take 2 turns each. So after 1 turn each we move the time marker down half a space then take another turn each then move the marker down to the next space. This is how turns work in Warhammer Quest ACG (also by FFG) when playing 2 heroes. It just makes the scenario (for us anyway) a little bit easier and more enjoyable."

Any thoughts on whether this would work for a solo game with 1 hero against the corpse king?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.