Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: FIRST Robotics Competition Announced, And It's A Doozie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    For those of you who haven't heard of it FIRST is a worldwide robotics competition for High School level students (roughly ages 15-18) that involves robots weighing between 0 and 120 pounds, generally coming in at the high end, generally fitting inside a five-foot box. Design is wide open and the bots compete in two modes, Autonomous where they function independently and Teleoperated where humans control them. Each has goals and points to score.

The challenge for the year was just announced Saturday, and it's a good one. Teams will begin competing in events this March.

The video below gives you the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Such a wicked game. This season is going to be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The connection to board games seems tenuous at best, but...

Yeah, we're excited, too! My son is on his school's team and they are super stoked about the challenge, which is loads better than last year's Recycle Rush. I can't wait to see what they do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I look at this is one great big minis board game, with the pieces having the kind of capabilities we all wish Heroscape pieces had.

The Qualifying Points available on the board add two dimensions to the scoring in this one. A very well designed game.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, awesome!

I can't wait to talk to my oldest child today after school. He's a freshman and has robotics club today. I think this is the competition they are gearing up for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's cool that the last season and this season were not based on sports (frisbie, basketball, football, volleyball etc). Last seasoning was re-cycling and this season Stronghold. This opens up the competitions to more variety. I think the game will be more fun to watch than the 2015 recycling rush. I'm afraid we'll see some really lopsided games early in the qualifying rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ttallan wrote:

Yeah, we're excited, too! My son is on his school's team and they are super stoked about the challenge, which is loads better than last year's Recycle Rush. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Sorry I can't help plugging my game based on First Robotics:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/164291/aerial-assault

And it's back in stock at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Velocity-Games-Aerial-Assault/d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KingPut wrote:
ttallan wrote:

I dropped this on the table at my son's FRC Fun night and it was in play for the entire evening. I wish I had sent you an image of their robot for inclusion in the game.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingPut wrote:

Oh, cool! Have some Geek Gold for making something so awesome! I will have to look into getting this.

So what teams are you all associated with/mentoring/cheering for? Let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you (on the live stream, at least) at the Championships! My son's team is Blizzard 188, the first team formed in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingPut wrote:
It's cool that the last season and this season were not based on sports (frisbie, basketball, football, volleyball etc). Last seasoning was re-cycling and this season Stronghold. This opens up the competitions to more variety. I think the game will be more fun to watch than the 2015 recycling rush. I'm afraid we'll see some really lopsided games early in the qualifying rounds.

The first FRC event I went to (last year), I was blown away to see the same kinds of enthusiastic, pep-rallying crowds cheering on their teams that I'd only ever seen before at sports events. To see that kind of school support for a bunch of teenage geeks (and I use that term in the warmest way possible, of course) was just so inspiring. Love FRC (and VEX)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    My son is on FRC team 1111 Powerhawks out of Edgewater Maryland.

I was the barker for the FTC challenge at the Naval Academy yesterday and I'll tell you what -- plenty of carnage on the field. The FTC bots score big points for climbing a very steep hill and for hanging from a rail at the top of it, and we had about fifteen inversions. Arms sheared off, one bot lost one whole side of wheels and tread. FTC is very challenging this year as well, especially if you're going to go the distance. Bring plenty of repair parts. If you have the money be ready to swap out entire subsystems.

By the end of the day I was calling out "the dreaded climb" and "the demon hill" because it had eaten so many bots.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blizzard #188, the first team formed in Canada. Wow that's one of the early founding members.

My Daughters Team is Techfire #225 from York, PA. The date makes it sound like our team is as old as year but in reality the team was defunked for about 4 years until it started up again about 6 years ago. We made it to Worlds 3 years in a row. Hopefully, we can 4-peat.

Thanks for the Geekgold! Good luck in build season and in competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
If you get to Worlds, let me know & I will come visit the team pit! Every year I pull some of my team out of school & we spend 2 days watching the games, etc. Their Jr.FLL team attended twice, a few years ago.

We'll be sad to see FIRST leave St. Louis, it has been such a wonderful event to be able to go to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Where are they going? And when?

Just found it. Houston and Detroit.

How ordinary of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, this is what my kiddo is doing. Sargon Team 2335. He'll be working on the scaling portion. I think I might need to add a board game to our collection to commemorate the occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Van Asten
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
It's Bigger On The Inside
mbmbmbmbmb
ttallan wrote:
super stoked about the challenge, which is loads better than last year's Recycle Rush.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority but I liked Recycle Rush. It probably helps that my team had a seriously awesome autonomous mode and were runner up in the championships:

I also immediately thought of a tower defense board game when I saw this year's game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's pretty amazing. And your team went all the way to the final round on Einstein! Wow again. (And yes, I've been nosily scouting all your teams on the Blue Alliance website laugh)

EDIT: So, I mentioned to my son that someone on this thread was with a team that were part of the runner-up alliance, and he said, "Wait, do you mean The Wave? They should have won!! They were so cool!!"

I do honestly think that my son's background in board gaming has helped him in the robot competitions. He's always been way better than me at strategy, quickly calculating optimal moves for maximum points (which is why I can never beat him at Race for the Galaxy, darn it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingPut wrote:

So, I tried to order it from Amazon, but Amazon didn't seem to like my Canadian address. Is Aerial Assault available from any other source?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tara,
I have some extra copies, I can sell you direct. I'll geek mail you with the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Our high school team competed last weekend & made semi-finals. Next week we are going down to Huntsville, AL in order to compete in the Rocketville competition. This is my first trip with high schoolers, I am a bit nervous.

The bus is supposed to have wifi, the team is delighted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
43 people sharing one cell connection -- preload some music!

My team is carpooling to Bel Aire MD Saturday and Sunday. About 90 minutes each way. We did okay in Haymarket, reaching the quarter-finals. But man this year's field beats the crap out of the bots. We played injured the whole time, and spent time between competitions toughening up our machine.

The game turned out to be multi-player solitaire this year, due to some odd rule choices. A shame, as you pretty much have two teams that don't cross paths for the entire match.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I am SO appreciative of the field reset people. That field is brutal, and not just to the robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hell yes. At Haymarket one of the field reset teams was all high school girls and they didn't have the beef needed to get the job done. People were volunteering from the audience to help. Second day they subbed people in for them.

But the field needed repair between each match. Delayed the heck out of everything. Didn't help that one team would intentionally ram the end wall at high speed during autonomous each time. Damaged the towers too. On the second day they were asking the teams for tools.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:

The game turned out to be multi-player solitaire this year, due to some odd rule choices. A shame, as you pretty much have two teams that don't cross paths for the entire match.

S.

We saw some defensive moves no one was prepared for, especially teams that relied on shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended the Greater Toronto Central Regional and the Greater Toronto East Regional with my son. His team competed at GTRC-- they didn't make it out of Semis but I thought they did great, and I have my hopes up for their next event in North Bay. GTRE was amazing to watch (my son was there to pitch in with a younger team). If I can't go to Worlds, this was a pretty decent substitute.

I know what you mean about the field elements taking a beating. The cloth of the Low Bar was practically 100% Gorilla Tape by the Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.