Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out I have more expansions than I thought I did.

Do you combine expansions with base game or keep them separate? If you combine them, how much effort do you go to go combine?

I tend to combine expansions with base game wherever possible. I have grown less attached to the inserts though, unless they're really cool or well-designed. Smash Up (big box), Sentinels in base and Vengeance box. I was able to fit Gates of Arkham in the base box under the insert. Seasons, all in the base box. I did toss the plastic for King of Tokyo to include the expansions in it.
I prefer expansions that primarily "add more of the same" to the game (I bought then sold Escape Big Box, that added way too much fiddliness and complexity for me, for a ten minute game) so it makes sense to me to integrate and combine them.

Poll: Do you combine expansions? How much effort?
Do you combine expansions with base game?
I don't buy expansions.
I buy them but keep them separate.
I combine expansions where the base box has room.
I combine them in the base box and remove base game's insert.
I buy/make other storage solutions to combine them.
I combine them in the expansion box (with or without insert).
Other.
      311 answers
Poll created by dtcarson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my goals for this year is to get my games organized, for many I hope to make nice new boxes. I think its important to figure out what you require from the game and its box. My current focus:
Would you want the expansion separated? Why and by how far?

One plan I have is to have my carcassonne in a chest type of thing. The base game already in a drawstring bag and each expansion tile in little boxes of their own so they can be added as chosen. All together but only whats needed makes it to the table. Dominion I plan on keeping each expansion separate though I want what I come up with to be able to link the boxes together so I can transport a variable amount together easily. Many games I just toss in the expansion with no care of trying to keep them separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself buyng a lot of expansions. After a while I have had to put down my foot, like for Munchkin. Sometimes I need to keep the expansion box, just to have room for all the bits. I still try to keep the bits a bit seperated, so it is possible to play the base game by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dorn
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
End Racism
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game. In most cases, I combine them in the original box and remove the insert, and/or put custom organizers in the box.

But in a couple cases, I actually buy multiple copies of the core game, so I can have both expanded and unexpanded versions handy. Primary case is Race for the Galaxy. Each version of the game is independently playable and very interesting, so we have three copies now:

• base game - for fast games, portable games, and new players. This one is unsleeved and in a small tin so it can be carried easily.

• base + all 3 in first expansion arc - In an original game box, cards sleeved. still fits with the insert!

• base + alien artifacts - sleeved, in the alien artifacts box.

Coming soon: a fourth copy with Xeno Invasion. :-)

The other game we've done this with is Carcassonne. I got two copies of the original Big Box on clearance: base game with both river, inns & cathedrals, etc. One copy got no further expansions, and so plays relatively quickly. For the second copy, we continued to buy and merge other expansions and promos so it is is a big epic game with hundreds of tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I combine them in one box if they fit. But no matter what, I keep all the base game and expansion boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
joe_salamone wrote:
I combine them in one box if they fit. But no matter what, I keep all the base game and expansion boxes.

I finally started getting rid of most expansion boxes myself (mainly just an issue of running out of space blush ). There are still a few that I keep, but those are mainly the "stand alone" types of expansions. If it is something that I wouldn't hang on to or get rid of individually from the main game, it goes into the main box and the expansion box goes into recycling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I put them in the smallest possible box. I throw away expansion boxes. I still usually keep base game boxes, although I need to break that habit too, especially for games in heavily played condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Lewis
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For me it really mostly depends on the expansion itself. If it's an expansion I can see myself using often/easily, then I'll probably throw it in the base box, even sometimes throwing inserts out if they won't fit. (Good example being Cosmic Encounter expansions that usually just add more aliens/small extra optional bits)

But then again, all my Arkham Horror expansions are pretty much separate since playing with expansions really makes a big difference on the original game. That way, if I wanna just play vanilla Arkham, I can do it without any pre-game sorting hassle. (Sure, it results in post-game sorting, but I feel like this pays off a lot more since putting a game away is a lot faster for me than setting one up.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I pack everything inside the basegame-box. If that means that I have to toss the insert, well, then bye bye insert.

The only game where it is the other way round is TI 3. There I tossed the basegame box and packed everything into the two expansion boxes since they are smaller and therefor easier to handle and store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered other. For me it is game dependent on how I combine the stuff. I have two flavors of Ticket to Ride, each with an expansion in it. Those are in the base game boxes with no inserts. I also own most everything to do with Memoir '44. I use Akro-Mils and Plano containers to hold the bits, magic the gathering fat pack boxes to hold the cards, and a big black duffel bag and black computer roller bag to hold the containers, books and maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For eldritch horror I combined the expansions and then split them between the boxes , for example one big box contains the investigators , prelude cards and AOs all things I have to decide before setup. it leaves me with lots of empty spaces but setup becomes easier and I don't own too many games so storage isnt an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only expansions for Dominion is kept separate. Otherwise I make a custom insert that holds the base game and expansion in the same box.

I do keep the expansion boxes and inserts though. Just in case :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever gives the smallest total box size without too much effort. I don't have that many expansions, or that many game for that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IdahoEv wrote:
Depends on the game. In most cases, I combine them in the original box and remove the insert, and/or put custom organizers in the box.

But in a couple cases, I actually buy multiple copies of the core game, so I can have both expanded and unexpanded versions handy. Primary case is Race for the Galaxy. Each version of the game is independently playable and very interesting, so we have three copies now:

• base game - for fast games, portable games, and new players. This one is unsleeved and in a small tin so it can be carried easily.

• base + all 3 in first expansion arc - In an original game box, cards sleeved. still fits with the insert!

• base + alien artifacts - sleeved, in the alien artifacts box.

Coming soon: a fourth copy with Xeno Invasion. :-)

The other game we've done this with is Carcassonne. I got two copies of the original Big Box on clearance: base game with both river, inns & cathedrals, etc. One copy got no further expansions, and so plays relatively quickly. For the second copy, we continued to buy and merge other expansions and promos so it is is a big epic game with hundreds of tiles.

In the base game box, I've thrown the insert away, and have a set of cards with base + TGS, and another set with base + TGS + RvI + BoW. Former is used to quickly get into beginner games, latter is used to for those who want more depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do a quick rundown:

7 Wonders + 7 Wonders: Leaders in the Leaders box. Love it!

Agricola + Agricola: Farmers of the Moor in the base game box, with the help of a Plano box for organization. I'm cheating a little because I use veggies from Loyang and animals from my next entry, so those aren't in the box. If I needed to travel with it I would jettison a couple of the decks to make room.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small + both expansions in base game box.

Carcassonne + Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals + Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders in base game box.

Castle Panic + Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower + Castle Panic: The Dark Titan in base game box.

Catan + Catan: Seafarers in base game box.

Dominion + Dominion: Seaside + Dominion: Cornucopia in a binder with 9-pocket pages.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue + Flash Point: Fire Rescue – 2nd Story in base game box.

King of Tokyo + King of Tokyo: Power Up! + King of Tokyo: Halloween in base game box.

Kingdom Builder + Kingdom Builder: Nomads + Kingdom Builder: Crossroads in the Crossroads box. cool

Last Will + Last Will: Getting Sacked in base game box.

Legends of Andor + Legends of Andor: New Heroes in base game box. More Plano help here.

Pandemic + (most of) Pandemic: On the Brink + Pandemic: In the Lab + Pandemic: State of Emergency in the box for Pandemic: The Cure. I'm so glad they made that box bigger than necessary!

If you're wondering, The Cure is in the "In the Lab" box. Confusing, maybe, but it works.

Thurn and Taxis + Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory in the Power and Glory box.

Two of Ticket to Ride: Europe, Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia, and Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland in the base game box. Odd man out goes in an expansion box.

Tokaido + Tokaido: Crossroads in the base game box. In fact, the Crossroads materials sit in the Crossroads box, which is nested inside the base game box, with enough room leftover for a family of four. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caspar van Sliedregt
Netherlands
Enkhuizen
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
“I’m 12 years old and what is this?”
badge
It's tennis Jim, but not as we know it...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi my name is Caspar ("hi Caspar").
And...sigh... i'm an expansion addict.

I buy expansions for games i intend to buy in the future,
for games i didn't play (but at least own) and for the sake of being "complete". And man do i love it laugh

Removing inserts and juggling around with new and existing parts is what makes it possible for me to keep these games instead of buying a new house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them in the same box if possible, as space for games is limited. I will consider switching to a bigger box if needs be.

I will chuck the insert if I must. Many inserts don't support sleeves on the cards anyway and I sleeve everything. I have recently sleeved St Petersburg and appreciate that the insert does support sleeves.

To store Dominion and all expansions I had to combine my house with my outbuilding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on a few factors.

1. Room

2. Is it just more of the same (i.e. Dixit, Smash Up)

3. Can it still be easily separated if I want to play vanilla (i.e. with someone who is playing for the first time

4. Do I even need it to be separate from the base game, or will I always play with expansion even with newbies (i.e. Kingsburg or Machi Koro)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hhmmm. Combining Expansions with a base game?
If you do happen to buy 1 or more Expansions for your base game, then what would be the point in NOT using them?!
Isn´t that what Expansions are meant to be used for? To be played?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:
Hhmmm. Combining Expansions with a base game?
If you do happen to buy 1 or more Expansions for your base game, then what would be the point in NOT using them?!
Isn´t that what Expansions are meant to be used for? To be played?!
You can keep expansion material in a separate box, but still have both played. If you have the space, having a separate box for expansions does make it easier for those moments when you just want to play the base game if you can't compartmentalize the stuff within a box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to combine them, but man I hate throwing away those brand new pretty shiny boxes. I keep a lot of them to re-purpose for other things, like storing board game odds and ends, print and play projects etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have combined my Battlestar Galactica base game and Daybreak expansions. I have the gamebox and added all the additional character cards and rules, then I got a a tackle box to store all the chits, minis, cards, etc. Works good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When my board game collection started becoming a legit collection, I set a rule that I could only have as many games as would fit on the shelving unit I'm using for storage. So yes, I do consolidate expansions into the base game boxes.

I also got into foam core for games like Steam Park and Twilight Struggle that cried out for a bit of organization.

My favorite are Carcassonne with 3 big and 5 little expansions, Catan & Seafarers with the 5-6 player expansions, and Eclipse with the second and third expansions, all in the base boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked out some of the storage solutions from Broken Token. They're quite nice, priced decently, and do indeed offer functionality that makes the games easier and better to play and set up.

However, since I have very few gaming opportunities these days, I just opt for plastic sandwich bags and ketchup/condiment containers to keep things organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.