Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In regards to many of the ANA/FFG discussions recently...a real life example...

So...I've been interested in the new Ghostbusters: The Board Game that I've heard about on BGG. It's price is a LITTLE high for me when I considered the content. However...I thought I'd take a look anyways. It's not available at ANY of my local FLGS's (local meaning...something within an Hour's drive from me). It MIGHT be at one of the locations I fly too, but with a box that size...and limited space on the plane...not happening. I'm not paying a FLGS in another state MSRP just so I can pay another $25 to have a carry on (I fly light...normally with a laptop and a small backpack with extra clothes).

Not exactly the easiest thing to get ahold of.

While browsing Amazon, they notice my browsing habits (I DO read reviews on Boardgames if they are there, as well as other things). For some reason they felt I might have an interest in Ghostbusters the board game.

It was for $49.99. In comparison, Coolstuff only has it for 54.49, meaning Amazon had it far lower. It was lower than my usual $50 price point for a casual buy.

I was willing to risk buying Ghostbusters for that price...based on reviews I had read, even if I had not gotten a chance to try it or play it yet.

I don't think there's ANYWAY that any of the local FLGS's could compete with Amazon's price. They MIGHT have been able to come somewhat close to Coolstuff's price if they bought the game in bulk, sold excess online, and were within driving distance. That way I don't have to pay for the shipping (which is where it starts to even out), or carry on costs...or other miscellaneous costs that come in if I don't buy it from them.

However, with Amazon, I have free two day shipping. NO ONE can compete with Amazon's price (and it was NOT through a third party seller apparently...but from Amazon itself, no guarantees on how long Amazon keeps it at that price though).

In addition, since the local FLGS's (of which there are several if you are willing to drive up to an hour away) don't carry the game anyways, amazon turned out the best option for me...in this instance.

IF they had carried the game though, despite my desire to support them...I might have bought it from Amazon at that price. That's VERY hard to choose Amazon at that low price over the FLGS who would charge full MSRP. Other Online sellers it's not as hard simply because shipping can be a major cost that one has to consider. But Amazon doesn't have that constraint in my instance (which if you consider the shipping may mean I'm getting that game [which is pretty heavy] perhaps at $40, or even $30!).

Now, if it were an FFG game (and I see those go for lower on Amazon at times than others can support) I'd be tempted to buy it from the FLGS, as I know they get some FFG games and can special order as well. However...FFG has a strange policy of charging for exhibits at times. They don't do much to support the FLGS in my area. Hence, though I can get FFG games from them...unlike the Ghostbusters game, they don't really demo FFG games as much. It is counter intuitive them to pay to demo something when they can demo other games without the overhead or costs. They do a lot of Paizo stuff, and WotC stuff, but they only have one real FFG event going on, and that's from a few guys who run a regular Star Wars RPG game instead of any REAL demos or events for FFG. Instead they demo other games.

I MIGHT have had an impulse buy at that FLGS if they had demo'd Ghostbusters and I had a chance to try it and liked what I saw...but for full MSRP ($85) that would be a harder thing to consider if I KNEW I could get it from Amazon for almost half that price. It's a hard decision and perhaps the FLGS doesn't carry it because they might be able to compete with other online sellers (as I said, shipping can be a killer), but they can't compete with Amazon sales in that instance.

Why do I mention this event...well...in light of all the furor over ANA's announcement...I found it interesting in retrospect to realize that I in some ways was a direct reflection of many of the statements people were talking about when I bought the Ghostbusters game.

In that light, I find it directly relevant...and can see just how the decisions ANA makes may actually hurt or help the FLGS. I'm a pretty good supporter of the FLGS (believe it or not, I buy a LOT of stuff from them)...so seeing why I decided to buy Ghostbusters from Amazon (and not the FLGS...not even sure if they could special order it or not...I did find out one of them actually does order from Amazon or CS at times if they don't have it in stock...which is...sort of hilarious if you think about it, and at the same time...not so hilarious) instead of getting it at a local FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Ghostbusters hit clearance prices literally the first week it was released. It's true that local stores will rarely, if ever, have competitive prices on games like Ghostbusters. I'm sure those stores near you that you said don't carry the game are happy about it. With greater overhead, they can't skate by with near-zero profit on every expensive stinker put out by the industry.

[Cardhaus] Ghostbusters $42.99 (50% off)
CSI Flash Sale. New Item every hour until 7pm

Local stores can't move stock as quickly, so they generally can't follow the online price plunge on this kind of game. When they do they stock a Ghostbusters, most conclude they are better off leaving it on the shelf, maybe with a slight discount, hoping for a couple people to wander by and scoop it up. But once enough dust gathers, it may very well end up on a clearance table. Possibly for less than $50. But it won't be this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Ghostbusters hit clearance prices literally the first week it was released. It's true that local stores will rarely, if ever, have competitive prices on games like Ghostbusters. I'm sure those stores near you that you said don't carry the game are happy about it. With greater overhead, they can't skate by with near-zero profit on every expensive stinker put out by the industry.

[Cardhaus] Ghostbusters $42.99 (50% off)
CSI Flash Sale. New Item every hour until 7pm

Local stores can't move stock as quickly, so they generally can't follow the online price plunge on this kind of game. When they do they stock a Ghostbusters, most conclude they are better off leaving it on the shelf, maybe with a slight discount, hoping for a couple people to wander by and scoop it up. But once enough dust gathers, it may very well end up on a clearance table. Possibly for less than $50. But it won't be this month.

I had no idea other retailers had sales on Ghostbusters going that low (39.99 at one point from one?, even with shipping that might still keep it below $50 depending on what shipping option you chose)!

I guess I don't keep track of the online stuff as fervently as some do in that light, at least the prices. I found it interesting the thought process for me when buying it from Amazon though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.