Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Gallerist» Forums » General

Subject: Solo exploit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So near the end of my game, all of Lacerda's assistants are in the International Market (I don't bother to compete in the auction). So he moves without pooping out any assistants. As long as you don't take any more tickets, you can just keep out of his way, buying and selling (and occasionally promoting) for many, many turns. At that point it's just about impossible not to achieve all of the highest-level goals...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
So near the end of my game, all of Lacerda's assistants are in the International Market (I don't bother to compete in the auction). So he moves over the board without pooping out any assistants. As long as you don't take any more tickets, you can just keep out of his way, buying and selling (and occasionally promoting) for many, many turns. At that point its just about impossible not to achieve all the "expert" goals...

No, because tickets/meeples will still run out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while but from what I recall the tickets are most likely to be long gone before Lacerda is out of assistants. Are you discarding a ticket every time you kick out one of Lacerda's pawns?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. I just realized how I did so well on my first solo play. modest
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
It's been a while but from what I recall the tickets are most likely to be long gone before Lacerda is out of assistants. Are you discarding a ticket every time you kick out one of Lacerda's peons?


Yeah, discarded every time. But once I collected enough assistants in my gallery, I stopped collecting them myself. So there were still 3 left by the time he'd filled up the international market.

And you can be careful during the game to avoid kicking his pieces out when you can.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
As long as you don't take any more tickets, you can just keep out of his way, buying and selling (and occasionally promoting) for many, many turns.


But taking tickets is not optional if you take an action that gains tickets. You have to take either 1 or 2 tickets every time you buy a work of art. You take 1 ticket with a level 1 promotion and 2 tickets with a level 3 promotion.

Wretched Git wrote:
Yeah, discarded every time. But once I collected enough assistants in my gallery, I stopped collecting them myself. So there were still 3 left by the time he'd filled up the international market.


But visitors keep leaving your gallery all game. Every time you take a reputation tile a visitor leaves your lobby and every time you sell a work of art a visitor leaves your gallery for the plaza.

Forgive my skepticism, but if you're playing "many, many turns" buying and selling in the situation you described, you're probably not taking tickets when you're supposed to be (as you couldn't buy more than 3 works of art, at the most, without triggering the end of the game) and you wouldn't have many visitors left for scoring influence, money and/or fame after a bunch of selling with no tickets to bring visitors back into your gallery.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilben04 wrote:
But taking tickets is not optional if you take an action that gains tickets. You have to take either 1 or 2 tickets every time you buy a work of art. You take 1 ticket with a level 1 promotion and 2 tickets with a level 3 promotion.


Hm, I can't find it right now, but I believe the rules say you do not have to take any bonus coming to you. But I don't have it in front of me. (Edit: I just did a search and it looks like you're right, but I'm not sure. The only thing I found is a line in the example of play that says one of the players must take the tickets printed on the artwork...)

Wretched Git wrote:
But visitors keep leaving your gallery all game. Every time you take a reputation tile a visitor leaves your lobby and every time you sell a work of art a visitor leaves your gallery for the plaza.


Right. And in my last game that was a whopping total of 3 visitors leaving my gallery so that I could sell 3 paintings and score 2 of my dealer goals. By the time Lacerda ran out of assistants I still had 2 assistants, 2 VIPs and 3 collectors in the gallery.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked through all the rules again, and it does not seem to me that taking tickets is optional. The rulebook always say things like "When the player gains tickets"; never refers to "the player may take tickets".

Someone in these threads would have mentioned something on that regard already if players could manipulate the game length by opting out of taking tickets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
I looked through all the rules again, and it does not seem to me that taking tickets is optional. The rulebook always say things like "When the player gains tickets"; never refers to "the player may take tickets".


Yeah, I think you're right. It seems clear anyway that taking tickets from buying artwork, at least, is mandatory...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing happened to me(Lacerda running out of assistants). But I'm new to the game and I'm sure I made plenty of mistakes. I didn't reach the goal of "Apprentice" and then I was thinking, you really can't ignore/exploit the market to achieve the solo game goals because it says in the rules you need at least 4 reputation tiles.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not easy but I was able to get 9 Lacerda assts. placed in the IM with 3 tickets left. Then I had a dilemma. When Lacerda moves does he move the 1 lone asst. to the spot he just left or does the asst. stay until I (or Lacerda) move to that spot? (Regardless the game could only last a handful more turns.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Belk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thing and question come up. I hope maybe Vital answers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not optional to take the bonus or the tickets. Otherwise you keep playing indefinitely.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.