Subject: Too complicated for me... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I am a fairly new player and I mildly enjoy the game. I would like to enjoy it straight out of the box as I am not interested in spending more money and time than reasonable on building "the perfect deck". my wife and I are casual gamers and not really competitive by deck building game standards

I have looked in the forum but I cannot dig out the info I need. Could anyone please point me in the right direction? I am looking for basic strategy for each runner and corporation starter deck.

Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just learning the game, I would recommend you just pick a corporation and a runner and play with all the cards for that faction + all the neutral cards (no need to slim the deck at all). You don't really need any strategy prompts as the cards that come up will let you know how you can score points. Discovering the game together will be what is most fulfilling. The base game complete decks provide a very engaging experience when you are learning the game.

If you read about various strategies it will take away from (rather than enhance) your enjoyment of the game IMO.

But I may be missing the intent of the question you are asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Try here!

http://bit.ly/1SeKfSu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would encourage you to follow the suggestions above and not give up on this wonderful game just yet. It does require a certain level of commitment to appreciate its many nuances, but I can only assure you that it's worth your time.

Please read the following article by Quentin Smith, one of the hosts of the Shut Up & Sit Down website. He does a very good job of describing the game's qualities.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/14/netrunner-...

I have also found it helpful to watch some replays of actual games, and there are a number of sites which have useful commentary which allows you to understand the power of certain cards and the reasons why they got included in a particular deck.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TeamworkCast

http://teamcovenant.com/watch/

http://stimhack.com/author/peachhack/

Please keep in mind that these videos depict players who perform at a very high level on the "ANR circuits", and have developed their own little slang and dialects which describe parts of the gameplay. You will not be able to play at this level without a significant time investment- a fact you should know up front. But even if you never step outside of casual play, there is so much thematic contact and fun card effects that you will not find yourself bored.

Stick with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
M7N6L wrote:
I mildly enjoy the game.

you're playing the wrong game. trust me. The shiny is going to wear off the core set faster than u can imagine and with the sad state of "balance" in the core set you'll get fed up with losing as the corp constantly. save yourself some frustration and find a game that's meant to be played out of the box and one you have more than a "mild enjoyment" for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about decks constructed from only the core set, just using the allowable influence to splash in other factions cards? Lists are available on meteor etc. Surely they are enjoyable and a better balance? Only recently got the game myself, played a couple of times, with other people's decks, but haven't yet used any core-deck-with-influence if you see what I mean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DIFFLOCK wrote:
What about decks constructed from only the core set, just using the allowable influence to splash in other factions cards? Lists are available on meteor etc. Surely they are enjoyable and a better balance? Only recently got the game myself, played a couple of times, with other people's decks, but haven't yet used any core-deck-with-influence if you see what I mean

They are definitely better and more balanced; that being said, the comment about the imbalances in the core set isn't entirely off-base (though I disagree with the post as a whole). The very worst of those problems can be corrected by picking up just a single data pack - the very first one, "What Lies Ahead".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffo Enst
Sweden
flag msg tools
Im in the same boat.. Me and my wife will give the game a few tries.
Im more interested than her though.
We're playing mostly RFtG 2p rules and looking for another great 2p-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
dogge wrote:
Im in the same boat.. Me and my wife will give the game a few tries.
Im more interested than her though.
We're playing mostly RFtG 2p rules and looking for another great 2p-game.

7 Wonders Duel looks like a really good 2p game, btw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.