Hide
3 Posts

Shadows over the Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: End-game trigger clarification: "by the end of the round..." rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Preble
msg tools
We just played our first game. We were playing 2-player and I made a bum rush for the central character. I had expended all my tokens and had control of the central character. It happened very quickly, which we both thought was unusual for a game claiming to take 90-120 minutes. The rules state that the player who satisfies the victory conditions "by the end of the round" is the winner.

We decided to just keep playing anyways, and eventually my opponent was able to exploit the wholes I made from the bumrush to kick some of my influence off the board and take over the central character.

Neither of us played with the same idea of the rules, so we can't really declare a winner, but the latter game was much longer and more fitting to the 90-120 minute threshold. I believe the Rahdo runthrough ended immediately when the condition triggered, so I am at a loss here.

So are victory conditions checked when the round has ended, or is everything over as soon as the victory conditions demonstrate themselves on the board?

Edit: I even thought it was just 60-90 when I posted this, but it shows 90-120. Wow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Giannios
England
Newcastle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You check victory conditions at the end of the round, so you can never have a "shotgun winner" in just a move.
The time duration is a typo, the game doesn't take that much long. Consider it a 45-90 mins game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
That's good to know that the time is misprinted. I played through a 2-player learning game today, and learning games normally take much longer than the listed time, yet it was finished in about 20 minutes. I was left wondering if something was missing or something wasn't being played correctly.

I was wondering how this could be a 90 minute plus game. I suspect that time scales with more players with 4 players it will likely finish around an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.