Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how are the missions in Hoth? IA core box campaign was ok fun, but the missions got a bit samey after a while with Rebels struggling to get forward and Imperial player spawning his heart out.

How's the mission quality and variety in Hoth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Kuijs
msg tools
mbmb
I feel the missions are really different alot of new objectives and lots of missions let you have allies at the start for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skuijs wrote:
I feel the missions are really different alot of new objectives and lots of missions let you have allies at the start for free.

I agree. I haven't actually played the missions yet but they seem very different.

Some missions reverse roles and make the Imperials race around the map and newish objectives are introduced.

Without spoiling anything, I would say absolutely these missions are different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
There some story missions that are similar to what has been done in the base campaign. For example there is a base defense mission and there is a mission where you have to spread out to grab terminals.

But there are pretty unique missions too. The interlude mission Return to Echo Base is very unique.

The finale is also unique from a story standpoint, It plays out similar to Last Stand, but has a unique mechanic which is really cool.

But within the campaign itself each story mission is very different to others in different tiers with a larger variety of win conditions.

From a gameplay perspective, the maps tend to be larger and more open and there are several maps with large outdoor areas, so massive vehicles are a potential threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triptico Analítico
msg tools
Please more of these reports!

I'm on the fence on this one, basicly because of these same doubts ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
Also some missions start with only a part of the map on the table.
The rest is added as the Heroes explore and/or trigger certain mission events.

Very cool!

Nice!
this sense of exploration was a bit missing for me in Imperial Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so what percentage of mission-objectives is of the "wound all heroes or delay them until round x" type?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Every mission has 'wound all heroes' as a win objective, so there's no avoiding that.

There are several that give heroes a certain amount of turns to do X, but I don't know what more you want for an Imperial. It's a game for the Heroes, you are there to stop them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Every mission has 'wound all heroes' as a one win objective, so there's no avoiding that.

Right, wound all heroes is a generic win condition. It is the primary win condition only in a few missions that do not have a time limit in the core game (A Simple Task comes to mind).

If the imperial player fails his primary objective (some missions have also the imperial player try to accomplish something, like in Viper's Den), his secondary objective (prevent heroes from accomplishing their objective within the time limit), at least there still is a way to win by wounding them. Any loss condition for the rebels is a win condition for the imperial player.

The thing is, at some point in the mission the IP may need to forego their original plan and commit to trying to reach a different win condition. Dealing damage to the rebels and denying them double attacks is beneficial for both time limit and wound all heroes win conditions.

Fortunately the mission design evolves when FFG gets more familiar with how people play the game and we will see varying missions in the future.

Edit: Sorry, I did not realize this is the Hoth forum. The above was mainly about the core game.

I quickly counted 7 (or was it 8) missions in Return to Hoth without wounding all heroes win condition. In all of those the imperial player has to reach their objective other than wounding heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Every mission has 'wound all heroes' as a win objective, so there's no avoiding that.

There are several that give heroes a certain amount of turns to do X, but I don't know what more you want for an Imperial. It's a game for the Heroes, you are there to stop them.

Sounds like it was a bad decision to order the expansion then. These type of missions were the most boring missions of Descent 2E, but at least they were few in number, but IA is full of them.

I was really hoping for more advanced mission design like in Descent. For instance the imperial player could move prisoners and the rebels have to free them and bring them off the map; imperials looking for clues on the rebels whereabouts while the rebels try to steal their space-ship full of intel; a rebel spaceship crashed on a planet with extremely valuable goods/materials/technology and rebels and imperials compete over parts sold on the junkyard and have to bring them to their base.

There are so much more tactically and strategically interesting things the missions could revolve around, but appearantly Return to Hoth is the second IA campaign where each mission is: Rebels need to destroy terminals, imperials need to wound them, or delay them by wounding them, regardless the only viable strategy for the imperial seems to remain: Get the troops with the most possible damage-output and prey for good rolls.

Too bad that FFG failed to get the game to Descent 2E levels strategic-, tactic-, and varietywise.

a1bert wrote:
Hillean wrote:
Every mission has 'wound all heroes' as a one win objective, so there's no avoiding that.

Right, wound all heroes is a generic win condition. It is the primary win condition only in a few missions that do not have a time limit (A Simple Task comes to mind).

If the imperial player fails his primary objective (some missions have also the imperial player try to accomplish something, like in Viper's Den), his secondary objective (prevent heroes from accomplishing their objective within the time limit), at least there still is a way to win by wounding them. Any loss condition for the rebels is a win condition for the imperial player.

The thing is, at some point in the mission the IP may need to forego their original plan and commit to trying to reach a different win condition. Dealing damage to the rebels and denying them double attacks is beneficial for both time limit and wound all heroes win conditions.

Fortunately the mission design evolves when FFG gets more familiar with how people play the game and we will see varying missions in the future.

Only some missions feature different win conditions sounds like "If you are lucky maybe you play 1 mission per campaign with different win conditions."

Seeing how the badies still have only special abilities that give them more damage output or higher defense, I fail to see how the IP should strategically or tactically adept against heroes with high HP and high armor.

I assumed they did a big box expansion, because they had an idea how to evolve the mission-design (like with the Descent 2E big box expansions), but I guess it was stupid to assume this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
The next map we are headed to is all completely veiled, and when the Rebel player moves to a section, we place down the next piece of the map. They have a limited # of turns to reach an objective, and they have to go from area to area to find it. I'm really looking forward to trying this one out.

I'm seeing much more variety so far with Return to Hoth in just a few missions, but for Imperials it's not as weight-y. Your overall job is to hinder the Rebels or wipe them out. Viper's Den was fun, moving the prisoners around, but I'm still seeing a lack of majorly interactive missions on the Imperial's end.

I'd love to see one where the Imperials are tasked to destroy a few targets, and the Rebels have to prevent them from doing it--a role reversal of sorts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
Only some missions feature different win conditions sounds like "If you are lucky maybe you play 1 mission per campaign with different win conditions."

Seeing how the badies still have only special abilities that give them more damage output or higher defense, I fail to see how the IP should strategically or tactically adept against heroes with high HP and high armor.

I assumed they did a big box expansion, because they had an idea how to evolve the mission-design (like with the Descent 2E big box expansions), but I guess it was stupid to assume this.

It is evolving, but it's not leaps and bounds. I'm seeing very different styles of missions, more than just 'go pick up all 4 of these and dont die' for the Rebels, and giving Imperials different card decks to work with.

During the Twin Shadows campaign, as the Imperial I had no issues winning well over half of my battles--I chose a class and open groups that worked together, like Trandoshans, Boba Fett and the class that focuses on adding strain. With heroes taking much more strain, it really made them work and have to think to work against even the simplest of missions.

Just because a mission may be straightforward doesn't mean you fight it that way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quickly counted 7 (or was it 8) missions in Return to Hoth without wounding all heroes win condition. In all of those the imperial player has to reach their objective other than wounding heroes.

(I didn't notice this was specifically about Hoth, i.e. Return to Hoth forum.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

(I didn't notice this was specifically about Hoth, i.e. Return to Hoth forum.)

Really? Well that shows what I know. It was on pretty much every mission before.

I normally roll until I completely eliminate the players from the board--I wonder what would happen if all 4 Rebels were completely gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
I normally roll until I completely eliminate the players from the board--I wonder what would happen if all 4 Rebels were completely gone?

If you're quick about it, then I would guess it would be fairly easy to reach the objective, but some have also time limits. (Didn't read the missions, just the imperial win end conditions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.